Finding Adoption Papers

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Finding Adoption Papers

Post by Tessa78 »

MCKay wrote:There was no one with the last name Bonanno on the page before. What is the purpose of the signatures in the margin? I noticed that some of the entries had them but most did not.
That varies...
Sometimes it is a notation by the official for a marriage, death, etc.
Sometimes it is a signature by the official is he has made a copy of the record, or a correction to the record.
I really don't know what this one is saying... :-( BUT I think it may refer to a marriage to Nicolina Bonanno in June of 1911 (MAYBE????) I'm thinking that the "squiggle" in the middle is actually "sposa" :-D
Hopefully, someone else here at the forum can shed some light on it.

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

As I said before, it is very unlikely he was formally adopted with a name change. In America it is easy to change your name and it is in America that he likely changed it especially if he arrived with his 'adoptive' family. The fact that is is different on various records probably depends on who was helping him fill out the papers.
You need to find the entry record of the family and hope he travelled with them.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Italysearcher wrote:As I said before, it is very unlikely he was formally adopted with a name change. In America it is easy to change your name and it is in America that he likely changed it especially if he arrived with his 'adoptive' family. The fact that is is different on various records probably depends on who was helping him fill out the papers.
You need to find the entry record of the family and hope he travelled with them.
So this is my problem. From what I know John Bono never travelled with anyone or with any documentation. This is what is making my search so difficult. Are there any other suggestions you might have to help my search?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is there a index for that year your looking at,see if there is padre ignoto or the word proietto foundling or ruota dei trovatelli founding wheel on any on the birth records close to the date your looking at

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

That sounds like it would be a great idea. Would you have any idea where they would have written any of these things??
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Usually on the year of the film from Family history Library there are (Indice Annuale Nascite) birth indexes for the year on the front page or back pages and listed the names of the baby and father and sometimes mother you can start there.If theres no index you might have to go through the birth records one at a time for the year

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:Usually on the year of the film from Family history Library there are (Indice Annuale Nascite) birth indexes for the year on the front page or back pages and listed the names of the baby and father and sometimes mother you can start there.If theres no index you might have to go through the birth records one at a time for the year

Marty
And be sure to check the Parte II (supplemental) registrations :-)

T.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

All right! Well, I remember there being a part II on the last film I checked so it looks I'm going to have to return to the library after Christmas. I'll be sure to post what I've found as soon as I am able to!
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I found my great-grandfather birth record in PartII, they put the names of the people that adopted him, not his biological parents.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Would you consider posting it?

T.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I did a long time ago, on some site that someone on the group told me to use for others on here to see. I forget the website name, but yes if you can tell me how to upload the record I def will.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Try using an image-sharing site such as http://postimage.org

After you upload your image to the site, copy and paste the forum thumbnail 1 to this forum.

T.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The birth record here does not name the parents, as you stated.

The child was presented to the official by the woman (Angela Maria di Vito) who was in charge of the "wheel". [see this link http://blogs.angloinfo.com/heart-founta ... abandoned/ ]

The child was given what appears to be the name GIUSEPPE SOMMARIO (this surname is found in Sicily)

Also appearing before the official are married couple Carmine Speranza -son of deceased Andrea; and Felicia Sabarese/Saverese(?) - daughter of Donato. Not sure if they are asking to adopt the child...

T.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

Thank you so much Tessa, I am going to check out the link later.

My g-great grandfather was born in the town of Monteforte Iprino, but raised in Mercogliano. He knew who his biological Mother was, when he was leaving for America, she went to see him and he spit at her. His mother had an affair with the Mayor, his last name should have been Somma, but they added the rio.

These are the people that adopted him Carmine and Felicia. Makes sense, as they had a child four years later, named Andrea Speranza.