Help obtaining copies of public records. Please assist!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Help obtaining copies of public records. Please assist!

Post by anima87ag »

Dear forum members,

Everyone has been very resourceful and connected. I was hoping that someone here could obtain original copies of my father's birth record (Frank Griffo Jr. (born January 13, 1961) and my grandfather's (Francesco Griffo) death record (January 30, 2010).

I need to find the actual public records that would be suitable to present to the Italian Embassy for proof of ancestry.

Unfortunately, my father is estranged and I have no way of obtaining these records otherwise. I hope that someone here has the expertise to get these records, so that I can continue the application process.

Thank you all in advance!
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help obtaining copies of public records. Please assist!

Post by anima87ag »

Both of these records are from New Rochelle, Westchester County, NY.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth and Death Certificates: The Office of the Westchester County Clerk does not issue or record birth and death certificates. In Westchester County, these records can be obtained from the local clerk in the village, town or city in which the event being documented, birth or death, took place. For the telephone numbers of local clerks throughout Westchester County
Website
http://www.westchesterclerk.com/index.p ... Itemid=195

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Thank you. I indeed tried to go to New Rochelle and they told me that only my father could obtain the records. So, basically, I am here searching for alternatives without having to file a court petition to obtain them.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I think you may have been advised incorrectly. Death records are generally more easily obtained than brth or marriage records.

But, I am speaking of death records without the cause of death.

Death records stating same are private.

But a death record without cause of death should be enough for you to apply for an Italian passport.

As to the birth record. You might might might be able to obtain this birth record if you have proof that you are your father's child, i.e. your own certified or original birth certificate and proper ID.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

You might be right about the death record. The main problem is that NYS policy about the obtainment of records is beyond strict. Only the child/spouse of the deceased can get the death record (no grandchildren) and the individual/parent can be the only to obtain the birth record. Therefore, I was told that I'd had to file a court order...