First name Dethista?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

First name Dethista?

Post by wldspirit »

I need help with an unusual name. A family member said that my nono's fathers name was Dethista, as well as his older brother. She did not know the correct spelling. any way to get the correct spelling of this first name and it's meaning?

wldspirit,
researching Settimio "Sam" Cupi and Angela Grifoni Cupi
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: First name Dethista?

Post by ptimber »

The closest I can come up with(and this is may not be accurate!!) is DEUSDEDITO (pronounced phonetically as DUSE-DE-DEETO). Your homework assignment tonight is to go to the internet and seek out the meaning for the name. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a surname DESTITO but there are no names Destito and that is found in Calabria. I hope you are not using NAME to mean a last name here???? Peter
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Could it be Battista?

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Could your relatives mean Battista? I know it's a long shot but it does sound similar and it is a very common name in parts of Calabria.
Donna Pellegrin
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I'm wondering if Destito could be it, and yes it is a first name. Destito Cupi? However, when i examined the ship manifest, my nono stated his fathers name as Noe, Hoe, Goe, hard to tell as i can't make out the first letter. But given the misspellings on these manifest and taking into account that they may not have understood the dialect, that could be an error. For my nona, they list her coming from Tasanallo, when she came from Talamello.My Aunt gave the name for nono's father, and she told a wonderful but sad memory of nono's brother.
Bring on the homework! :wink:

p.s. to donna, my family is from Talamello, Pesaro Urbino, in Marche, and that is what i thought, Battista. my mother insisted it was with a D.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:I'm wondering if Destito could be it, and yes it is a first name. Destito Cupi? However, when i examined the ship manifest, my nono stated his fathers name as Noe, Hoe, Goe, hard to tell as i can't make out the first letter. But given the misspellings on these manifest and taking into account that they may not have understood the dialect, that could be an error. For my nona, they list her coming from Tasanallo, when she came from Talamello.My Aunt gave the name for nono's father, and she told a wonderful but sad memory of nono's brother.
Bring on the homework! :wink:

p.s. to donna, my family is from Talamello, Pesaro Urbino, in Marche, and that is what i thought, Battista. my mother insisted it was with a D.
Hi:
Settimio Cupi (mistaken CuPpi) from Talamello (mistaken Calamella) emigrated in 1906
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3092050156&

this are angela Grifoni emigrated in 1908 http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1847060115&
about first names Destito(?) and Noe etc please write URL ship's manifest
I want read as are wrote....
suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/cgi-b ... 6.TIF&S=.5

i hope this worked, if not let me know. this is from sept. 5, 1908. he is on line 3.

you made my day! we knew he had been here before 1908, but i could find no record. you are wonderful!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/cgi-b ... 6.TIF&S=.5

i hope this worked, if not let me know. this is from sept. 5, 1908. he is on line 3.

you made my day! we knew he had been here before 1908, but i could find no record. you are wonderful!!
Hi: are Noè (exact spelling in italian)...
suanj
PS: and about Detisto/a?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

my aunt is 90, maybe she misunderstood my mothers question, but she seemed quite sure of herself. but if nono stated his fathers name as Noe', then that has to be correct. we will find out alot more when we get records from Talamello. we are planning a family visit there as well. many, many thanks for your time!! :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

OK!
:wink: suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

additional help: from the post that suanj made with regard to settimio cupi, ellis island,1906, can anyone make out the name of the cousin he is joining in spring valley?? i would like to find this cousin at ellis island as we never knew he had any family here in the states. :?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:additional help: from the post that suanj made with regard to settimio cupi, ellis island,1906, can anyone make out the name of the cousin he is joining in spring valley?? i would like to find this cousin at ellis island as we never knew he had any family here in the states. :?
Settimio joining from Francesco Santocci cousin..
suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

thanks suanj, i've tried to bring up francesco santocci with no luck.
i found a francesco santoni from talamello, but that is as close as i've come. he was on same ship as nono, perhaps another spelling error?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:thanks suanj, i've tried to bring up francesco santocci with no luck.
i found a francesco santoni from talamello, but that is as close as i've come. he was on same ship as nono, perhaps another spelling error?
In Talamello are Santoni surname and also Santucci surname....
Are possible that is Santucci mistaken in Santocci, why Sant..cci on ship's manifest of Settimio are clair...
suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

i have yet to find the meaning of the names in above post, with the exception of noe. i am also trying to locate the first name rappetti. not being one to give up so easily, a trip to the library will be added to my list of things to do. so hold off on my final grade peter!!
the correct name of nono's brother will have to wait for records to arrive, but i am of the belief that his fathers name was noe as stated in the ship manifest.
thanks to suanj who located the manifest for nono's first trip to usa, we now know that he did indeed have a cousin. in examing francesco's manifest, he went to the same address as my nono. in fact, i found several names all going to box 42, spring valley, ill. these names appear on all three manifest that i have.
i am also planning to purchase the books you recommended peter. i am hoping these are readily available at the larger book stores.
on with the search!!!!!!! :lol: