Volpe Surname, Matera, Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
heggar
Rookie
Rookie

Volpe Surname, Matera, Basilicata

Post by heggar » 26 Feb 2012, 00:20

Is anyone else researching the Volpe surname? My 5x great grandmother was Ippolita Volpe. I believe she was born in either San Mauro Forte or Stigliano, province of Matera, Basilicata.

Thank you.

Lbv1227

Re: Volpe Surname, Matera, Basilicata

Post by Lbv1227 » 30 Nov 2016, 02:55

Hi I am also researching the surname Volpe ending up in Boston MA. My great-grandparents are Nicolas and Elizabeth Volpe...also listed as Nichola & Elizabetta or Eliza. A marriage document lists residence as Gaeta although another States Gaeta/Caserta which makes no sense to me as I understand Gaeta is in Lazio. In 1906 he is listed on Ellis island documents for the shop Italia from Naples. He was 27 and married and lists his last residence as MAssachusetts so obv this is just a trip to Italy and back to US and not his original passage to US. Also I have his naturalization papers list 1885 I believe (don't have in front of me right now). He may have come in to Boston port originally or NY as he did in 1906. He had sons Angelo John and Atilo all born in Italy I believe...still not sure where. Any of that match info you or anyone has? I'm coming to a dead end beyond the passenger list for the Italia...

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM » 14 Dec 2016, 13:46

Hello!
I guess you may already have this marriage:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1469062

At that time, Latina province was not existing yet, and Gaeta was province of Caserta.

According to the 1900 census:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1325221

he was born in Jan 1847, married in about 1880, and immigrated 1888.
Notice that there are a lot of Volpe's in the same sheet of the census, who were probably related.

If this is his death record, he eventually passed away in 1916:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1928860

he was the son of Angelo and Raffaela Carmello (sp?)

Place of birth is said to "Ellen" = "Elena". According to wikipedia, "Il Borgo di Gaeta, frazione di Gaeta fuori le mura, con Regio Decreto del 15 marzo 1897, diventò comune autonomo sotto la spinta dei suoi esponenti liberali. Prese il nome di "Comune di Elena" in onore dell'allora principessa Elena, futura regina d'Italia. Trenta anni dopo, esattamente con Regio Decreto del 17 febbraio 1927, i Comuni di Gaeta e di Elena vennero uniti nuovamente sotto il nome Gaeta. Il Borgo di Gaeta oggi si identifica come rione Porto Salvo."
Elena was a hamlet of Gaeta, that became an independent Commune in 1897, until 1927, when it became part of Gaeta again.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Leone

Post by Leone » 14 Dec 2016, 23:08

My 4th great-grandmother was Antonia Volpe born circa 1725-1745 who married Francesco Santo/DiSanto. Their child Maria b circa 1786 in Santeramo in Colle, Bari married Giovanni Leone. Maria & Giovanni died in Salandra, Matera, Basilicata. The Leone family immigrated from Salandra to United States circa 1887.

Hopefully we connect.

Peggy Leone Morphew