PESCUMA from Forenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
shawnzo

PESCUMA from Forenza

Post by shawnzo »

I'm researching my grandmother, Amelia Pescuma's family. She came to the US in 1903 with her mother (Maria Cristina Pietragalla), a sister (Luigina) and her sister's husband (Giovanni Zarra). Two years later her brother's Michaelangelo and Carmine came, but Michael was turned away. It appears that Michael again came to the US in 1907 again to be turned away. He ended up in Argentina and lived out his life there. According to family folklore, my great-grandfather, Gerardo died at sea (1898) while transferring the family business to Cuba. Oddly enough, a Gerardo Pescuma landed in Argentine in 1909 with two sons, Michael and Antonio!!! I'm at my wit's end as to how to solve the mystery of Gerardo. Perhaps it's as simple as him having two wives or two families...At any rate, I would love any insight or input as to how I might persue this all and/or connect with any others who have roots in Forenza.

Peace,
Shawn
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: PESCUMA from Forenza

Post by ptimber »

yhou obviously have a record from Argentina that he landed in Buenos Aires with Michael and Antonio and as such also have his year of birth and their years of birth as well. You can prove that gerardo Pescuma is the wife of Amelia by going to the nearest family History Library of the Mormon church nearest your hopme and renting the microfilm for FORENZA which dates from 1809 to 1865 and compare birth years with the record you have for gerardo and the record that is on micorfilm of his birth. You make no mention of their place of marriage so I cannot assist in that regard. This shouild be the first step to make sure both are the same person. Peter
dassisi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dassisi »

Can you please tellme how you obtained records for migration to Argentina, your help would be much appreciated.
shawnzo

Post by shawnzo »

I didn't get any immigration records. i had postedon ancestry.com and had gotten a reply (in spanish) from horacio pescuma who was looking for anyone who had information on Gerardo Pescuma, from Forenza, Italy who arrived in Buenos Aires in 1909 with his two sons, Michael and Antonio. There were far too many commonalities for me to ignore. Horacio and I have shared all the info we each have, but the mystery remains. I think at this point, trying the FHL is my best bet. From what i've read, it seems virtually impossible to get church records from Italy.

Peace,
Shawn
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

shawnzo wrote:I'm researching my grandmother, Amelia Pescuma's family. She came to the US in 1903 with her mother (Maria Cristina Pietragalla), a sister (Luigina) and her sister's husband (Giovanni Zarra). Two years later her brother's Michaelangelo and Carmine came, but Michael was turned away. It appears that Michael again came to the US in 1907 again to be turned away. He ended up in Argentina and lived out his life there. According to family folklore, my great-grandfather, Gerardo died at sea (1898) while transferring the family business to Cuba. Oddly enough, a Gerardo Pescuma landed in Argentine in 1909 with two sons, Michael and Antonio!!! I'm at my wit's end as to how to solve the mystery of Gerardo. Perhaps it's as simple as him having two wives or two families...At any rate, I would love any insight or input as to how I might persue this all and/or connect with any others who have roots in Forenza.

Peace,
Shawn
Not are records in Italy about Pescuma people emigrated in Argentina; but are an Gerardo Pescuma age 33 in 1894, that came in USA http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3674060095&
But for your double, is possible an search in Forenza registries, if you know birthdate of Gerardo;
because Michelangelo back in Italy, and normally the people emigrated, when back in Italy, they go in city hall for refresh of family's civil records ... so are possible to know more about Gerardo...
regards, suanj
shawnzo

Post by shawnzo »

Gerardo was born in 1860 in Forenza. I do not have the month or day of his birth.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

shawnzo wrote:Gerardo was born in 1860 in Forenza. I do not have the month or day of his birth.
well, send an request to
comforen @ tiscali.it
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... u=1&fsrc=1&
or
Ufficio Stato Civile
Corso Grande Umberto I, 5/a
85023 Forenza (PZ)
Italy
regards, suanj

PS: and also you can contact the Pescuma in Forenza
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

suanj wrote:
shawnzo wrote:I'm researching my grandmother, Amelia Pescuma's family. She came to the US in 1903 with her mother (Maria Cristina Pietragalla), a sister (Luigina) and her sister's husband (Giovanni Zarra). Two years later her brother's Michaelangelo and Carmine came, but Michael was turned away. It appears that Michael again came to the US in 1907 again to be turned away. He ended up in Argentina and lived out his life there. According to family folklore, my great-grandfather, Gerardo died at sea (1898) while transferring the family business to Cuba. Oddly enough, a Gerardo Pescuma landed in Argentine in 1909 with two sons, Michael and Antonio!!! I'm at my wit's end as to how to solve the mystery of Gerardo. Perhaps it's as simple as him having two wives or two families...At any rate, I would love any insight or input as to how I might persue this all and/or connect with any others who have roots in Forenza.

Peace,
Shawn
Not are records in Italy about Pescuma people emigrated in Argentina; but are an Gerardo Pescuma age 33 in 1894, that came in USA http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3674060095&
But for your double, is possible an search in Forenza registries, if you know birthdate of Gerardo;
because Michelangelo back in Italy, and normally the people emigrated, when back in Italy, they go in city hall for refresh of family's civil records ... so are possible to know more about Gerardo...
regards, suanj
[/quote]Gerardo was born in 1860 in Forenza. I do not have the month or day of his birth.[/quote]

That Gerardo Pescuma on Ellis Island record, was 33 years old on 1894.
So I guess it is yours.
You can contact civil and vital records office of Forenza to have his birth record

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Grande, 5/A
85023 Forenza (PZ)
Italy

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

I picked apart you message in order to help you find information.

I'm researching my grandmother, Amelia Pescuma's family. She came to the US in 1903 with her mother (Maria Cristina Pietragalla), a sister (Luigina) and her sister's husband (Giovanni Zarra).

Here is the manifest that you are discussing above.
Maria Cristiana Pietragalla

Two years later her brother's Michaelangelo and Carmine came, but Michael was turned away.

Here is the manifest of 1905 for Michelangelo and Carmine were turned away, but here is the information for Carmine coming through the Boston Port and his father paid the trip.

Name: Carmine Pescuma
Arrival Date: 24 Jun 1907
Estimated Birth Year: 1899
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Pelmiozo Bocco
Last Residence: Pelenza
Birthplace: Forenza
Microfilm Roll Number: 109

Here is the 1907 Manifest of Michelangelo

According to family folklore, my great-grandfather, Gerardo died at sea (1898) while transferring the family business to Cuba. Oddly enough, a Gerardo Pescuma landed in Argentine in 1909 with two sons, Michael and Antonio!!! I'm at my wit's end as to how to solve the mystery of Gerardo. Perhaps it's as simple as him having two wives or two families...At any rate, I would love any insight or input as to how I might persue this all and/or connect with any others who have roots in Forenza.

The Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Forenza, but it's limited to 1809-1860. Here is the link for the film numbers.

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center

For any records after 1860 to the present, you would have to write to the town itself and Suanj and Ricbru gave you the address for the town.

Here is a link to write your letter in Italian.

The link below might help you find when your ancestors arrived. You have to register, but it's free. Click on the words "Find Your Roots", create a user name and password and then you can search for Brazil and Argentina

http://www.italians-world.org/Italy/BancaDatiGb.htm

This link has some helpful genealogy links about Argentina.
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/b11_index.html

Roots Web Message Boards
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/b11_index.html

Here are some websites that might be helpful with you trying to locate your ancestors.
http://www.imigrantesitalianos.com.br/

Genealogy.com Forum on Brazil
http://www.imigrantesitalianos.com.br/

A few links about Brazil and genealogy
http://www.loc.gov/rr/international/cor ... yebd5.html

Some of the links on this page might help.
http://www.italianancestry.com/Section7.html

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

shawnzo wrote:Gerardo was born in 1860 in Forenza. I do not have the month or day of his birth.
Again me.. and as you already know:
Gerardo Pescuma
Born: 1870 (abt 1861)
Forenza, Potenza, Italy
Died: 2 May 1898
En Route, Cuba

spouse in 1885 Maria Christina Pietragalla
Born: 21 Feb 1870 in Forenza, Italy (daughter of Vito and Maria Archangela Santiano); death: 27 Feb 1946 in East Los Angeles, [county], CA, USA

Children
-Antonio Pescuma

-Luisa Luigina Pescuma 1887 in Forenza spouse: John Giovanni Zarra

-Nick Pescuma 1888 in Forenza ; death: Death: 1945 - Buenos Aires, South America, Argentina

-Amelia Pescuma Apr 1894 in Forenza; death: 24 Sep 1956 - Quincy, MA, USA; spouse 16 Feb 1915 : Philip Louis Lang

-Carmine Pescuma 21 Jul 1898 in Forenza ; death: 6 Feb 1987
East Los Angeles, CA, USA; spouse (1) in 1922: Estella Sheilds; spouse (2) Ella ... born in 1891

for the immigration record in Argentina the better website is http://www.cemla.com/ please to contact base-cem @ sion.com
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
shawnzo

Post by shawnzo »

Where did you get the 2 May 1898 date as Gerardo's death!? Also, for others searching for Pescuma's, the town of Forenza in the Potenza region was where my great-grandparents came from. That may be helpful to others. Thanks, all.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found it, in the genealogic tree by ancestry.com

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH