Vertino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
billoms
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vertino

Post by billoms »

yes that is from my tree
billoms
Rookie
Rookie

Post by billoms »

I checked 1910 census in York, NY. Listed as Louis and Mary Vertina. No mention of the nephew or brother.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

billoms wrote:I checked 1910 census in York, NY. Listed as Louis and Mary Vertina. No mention of the nephew or brother.
Found this 1910 Census - may be a long shot for the brother since we really don't know the spelling of his last name. However, the age is right and the immigration year is close... Name looks like it could be the one on the 1920 census (1920 being a phonetic spelling) :) He is married and living as a boarder in Lackawanna, Erie Cty. NY

Name: John Stofanski
Birthplace: Russia
Relationship to Head of Household:
Residence: Lackawanna Ward 3, Erie, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race : White
Immigration Year: 1909
Father's Birthplace: Russia
Mother's Birthplace: Russia
Family Number: 277
Page Number: 13
Household Gender Age
John Keron M 29y
Jadwega Keron F 42y
John Stofanski M 24y
Valintz Dubil M 20y
John Poluh M 28y

bottom of the page

T.
jvertino

Post by jvertino »

Louis (the nephew) is my great grandfather. My Grandfather, Pasquale, (1921-1997) had 3 children, Michael Louis Vertino (my father), Louise & Maria. All born and raised in Buffalo / Kenmore NY.
Leeleelo

Post by Leeleelo »

Hi Bill - I’m working on my family tree too. Were you able to find the marriage record for Louis and Mary?

In the post:
“Looking back at that 1920 Census, a few things struck me... (other than Lou listing his place of birth as Ireland :? )

--Listed as living with Lou and Mary is her brother, John Stowfras???, born in Russia.
He lists his immigration year as 1907.”
To me it looked like John was a boarder not brother.

In your post:
“Her brother's name must be her maiden name. She arrived in Port of Philadelphia in 1891 ( I have ship manifest) Her name was spelled Senkus which was her married name. Her husband John died in Lithuania. She married Louis Vertino. Her daughter Adeline (Dolly) married Angelo Cecere in Retsof in 1900 at age 16. The other daughter drowned in Retsof creek.”

I was told that her first husband died in Philadelphia. I also didn’t have a first name for him before either- thank you.

Mary was a brave woman to come to the US with two young daughters! I would be interested in seeing the ship manifest. Is it on Ancestry? I haven’t been able to locate it.

I hope to meet you at the reunion this summer!