really needs help finding family history, please?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cowgrldaz682

really needs help finding family history, please?

Post by cowgrldaz682 »

I found a lot of information about my family living and from NJ, but I cannot find out info from family from and still in Italy.

On my grandfather's side: my grandfather's mother, Margaret Castellano was born in NJ to Gernaro (b. 1873?) and Stella (May 11, 1884-Feb. 1979) Castellano. She had a sister Helen and I cannot find any more information about Helen Castellano (B. 1909?). I cannot find Stella's maiden name or where she was born in Italy. She immigrated to NJ in 1890. Gernaro Castellano immigrated to NJ in 1903. Stella and Gernaro met in a candy shop in NJ.

Margaret Castellano married Frank Marotta at age 15 and 1/2. They had Patrick F. Marotta (my grandfather). Frank Marotta divorced Margaret and was never heard of again. I would like to know more info about him. He had a sister named Mary or Maria Marotta. Later Margaret married Fred Orocchi and had a few more children. I have all the info about the Orocchi's and still talk to them.

On my grandma's side: my grandma's father was Michael Landolfi and her mother was Antoinette Landolfi. Michael was born in Forgia, Italy on Sept. 15, 1891. He died in NJ in Oct. 1977. I have no more information about his wife. My grandmother, Ann Landolfi Marotta said she was born in Italy and came to the US when she was very young. Tony Landolfi, Patrick Landolfi, Mary Landolfi and Connie Landolfi are her siblings. I cannot find anything on Connie Landolfi. I know she got married and had (2) boys.

I would like to find more information about my family from Italy and hopefully find some relatives still living in Italy. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. =)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: really needs help finding family history, please?

Post by Tessa78 »

cowgrldaz682 wrote:I found a lot of information about my family living and from NJ, but I cannot find out info from family from and still in Italy.

On my grandfather's side: my grandfather's mother, Margaret Castellano was born in NJ to Gernaro (b. 1873?) and Stella (May 11, 1884-Feb. 1979) Castellano. She had a sister Helen and I cannot find any more information about Helen Castellano (B. 1909?). I cannot find Stella's maiden name or where she was born in Italy. She immigrated to NJ in 1890. Gernaro Castellano immigrated to NJ in 1903. Stella and Gernaro met in a candy shop in NJ.

Margaret Castellano married Frank Marotta at age 15 and 1/2. They had Patrick F. Marotta (my grandfather). Frank Marotta divorced Margaret and was never heard of again. I would like to know more info about him. He had a sister named Mary or Maria Marotta. Later Margaret married Fred Orocchi and had a few more children. I have all the info about the Orocchi's and still talk to them.

On my grandma's side: my grandma's father was Michael Landolfi and her mother was Antoinette Landolfi. Michael was born in Forgia, Italy on Sept. 15, 1891. He died in NJ in Oct. 1977. I have no more information about his wife. My grandmother, Ann Landolfi Marotta said she was born in Italy and came to the US when she was very young. Tony Landolfi, Patrick Landolfi, Mary Landolfi and Connie Landolfi are her siblings. I cannot find anything on Connie Landolfi. I know she got married and had (2) boys.

I would like to find more information about my family from Italy and hopefully find some relatives still living in Italy. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. =)
Here is a POSSIBLE ship manifest for Michele Landolfi...
Arriving Boston, Feb 1921 on the SS Canopic
Leaving in Panni, Foggia, Italy - his wife Antoniette Larocca
Going to his brother Raffaele Landolfi in Massachusetts...
Michele is listed as a mechanic, which is then crossed out, written in as plumber.
Indicates he has been in US before in 1912, in Topsfield, Mass.

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943

Name: Michele Landolfi
Arrival Date: 15 Feb 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Ethnic Background: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Raffaele Landolfi
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Foggia, Italy

page 1 - line 2

page 2 - line 2

A later trip... wife Antonietta is still in Panni (listed as "in Galdi Panni")
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Michele Landolfi
Arrival Date: 4 May 1928
Birth Year: abt 1891
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: in galdi panni
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: South
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano

page 1 - line 22

page 2

You can view the civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) for PANNI, FOGGIA, ITALY, at your nearest LDS Family History Center. They have microfilms available to rent and view for Panni, from 1809 - 1899.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... tem%2F4035

To find the nearest center, enter your zip code at this site...
http://familysearch.org/eng/

T.
cowgrldaz682

Post by cowgrldaz682 »

Thank you!!! That's him. I asked my dad if he remembers the Larocca name and he was taken back. He does remember it once it was mentioned. Thank you so much!

I am going to try out those sites and see what else I can find out.

I am still having a really difficult time finding out any info on Frank Marotta and also on the Castellano name as well.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is this your GGGM family?
Castellano family living at 809 Hoboken St., West Hoboken, Hudson, NJ in the 1920 Census
Father - Gennaro, imm. about 1904, occupation Marble cutter
Mother - Stella, imm. about 1898
Daughters - Helen and Margaret, born in NJ
Sister of Gennaro - Adeline, age 57, born in Italy, imm. about 1906

Name: Jerenaro Castellane
Residence: , Hudson, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Birthplace:
Film Number: 1821050
Digital Folder Number: 4313351
Image Number: 00503
Sheet Number: 19
Household Gender Age
Jerenaro Castellane M 47y
Spouse Stella Castellane F 35y
Child Helen Castellane F 11y
Child Margaret Castellane F 8y
Adaline Castellane F 57y

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible ship manifest for Gennaro Castellano (if you don't already have it :-) )
Arriving NY 25 April 1904 on the Equita
He is 32, single and is a "marble worker"
Last place of residence is listed as CASERTA...
Going to a cousin (unnamed) in NYC on First AVe.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Gennaro Castellano
Arrival Date: 25 Apr 1904
Birth Year: abt 1872
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Equita

Line 21

It appears that Gennaro made several trips...
Here is a manifest for 1905..
He is going to his brother Eduardo Castellano at 2199 First Ave., NYC.
He indicates that he has been in USA before in 1903 and 1904.
Occupation... marble worker :-)

Line 2

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe this is the Birth Record, from Caserta, for your grandfather's grandfather, Gennaro Castellano :-) based on the ship manifest and occupation, as well as DOB... this is a very good possibility... :D :D

Birth Record #248 (begins on bottom left, continues on right)
Dated 4 June 1872, at the town hall in Caserta, at 12 noon.
Before the official appeared LUIGI CASTELLANO, the son of Gennaro, of age 36, profession - marble cutter ("marmista"), residing in Caserta; to present a male child that he declared was born on the 31 of the past month of May, at 5:30 PM, to his wife, CARMELA MARINO, daughter of Arcangelo, of age 24, profession - seamstress, who lives with the declarer at the place at Via San Giovanni.
The child was given the name GENNARO.

T.
cowgrldaz682

Post by cowgrldaz682 »

Tessa78...thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Those are correct and the dates do match from what I have researched. You have helped so much.

I did find "CARMELA MARINO, daughter of Arcangelo" on another document as Maria Carmina Marino and her father was listed as Arcangelo Marino and mother Chiara Marino Castellano with the years matching. Seems like she might have married her cousin, Luigi Castellano or I might be missing something here. I am still researching and trying to make sure all of it fits just right. They are both from Caserta, Italy where I know my family is from. It is possible that she did marry her cousin.

Luigi Castellano's father is Gennaro Castellano (1800) and his mother, Maddalena Sagnelli Castellano. I cannot figure out how those families might be related to figure out if Luigi Castellano and Maria Carmina Marino Castellano were really cousins before they married.

Thank you for your help. :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I cannot find Stella's maiden name or where she was born in Italy. She immigrated to NJ in 1890.
Hi, maybe this is your Stella:

d States Federal Census about Stella Uralland
Name: Stella Uralland
[Stella Urallared] ( no the name is Stella ORLANDO)
Birth Date: Jun 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Jersey City Ward 11, Hudson, New Jersey
[Hudson]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1892
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: John Uralland
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
John Uralland
Marrian Uralland
Stella Uralland

Tony Uralland

your suggestions?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cowgrldaz682

Post by cowgrldaz682 »

suanj.... Thank you for the post, but I do not think that is the Stella I am searching for. I called my great uncle and tried to jar his memory. He thinks her last name was Astarita or something close to that. I have tried many spellings of that last name and still am not having any luck finding her. =(
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You may also want to confirm Stella's maiden name by sending for her Social Security Application... This will hold the names of her parents. :-) (Hi, suanj!) :D

From the SS Death Index - Is this your Stella?

Social Security Death Index
about Stella Castellano
Name: Stella Castellano
SSN: 140-16-xxxx
Last Residence: 07307 Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 11 May 1884
Last Benefit: 07306 Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
Died: Feb 1979
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)

To request from SSA
http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.
cowgrldaz682

Post by cowgrldaz682 »

Thank you Tessa78... I did not know I could request that. =)