Davia and Epifano from Pieve di cadore, Belluno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ldavia

Re: Davia and Epifano from Pieve di cadore, Belluno

Post by ldavia »

My great grandfather was Luigi Antonio DaVia. He was born around 1880 in Pieve di Cadore. He came to Chicago in the early 1900s. His wifes name was Tecla but I can't remember her last name.

Also, there was a family friend whose name was Louis Burrei. He was also from Chicago..........
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

:?: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3487020165

According to a 1910 census, both Luigi and Tecla came over in 1906 but at different times as you can see on the manifest... (that's if it is the correct manifest)... and if this is the correct couple...

Name:   Luigi Davia Age in 1910:   30 Estimated birth year:   1879
Home in 1910:   4-WD CHICAGO, Cook, Illinois Race:   White
Gender:   Male Series:   T624 Roll:   243 Part:   2 Page:   157B
Year:   1910.

In 1910, they had a son Orlando age 1, Tecla was 21 years old, Luigi worked in a Carpentry shop.

Name:   Louis Burrei Age:   21 Estimated birth year:   abt 1909 Birthplace:   Italy Relation to head-of-house:   Head Spouse's Name:   Mary Burrei Race:   White (also Italian) Home in 1930:   Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Immigrated in 1920, but Mary in 1915.

Are these the family friends you ask about?
ldavia

Post by ldavia »

Correct!!!! Big help.....thanks...

Do you know if Luigi and/or Tecla had any brothers or sisters? It also appears that they had the same last name.

Thanks,

Louis A Davia
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

No...but I was hoping you knew!... Maybe you could check the other Davia manifests and start putting pieces together. Aren't there relatives you can ask questions?...

www.ellisisland.org

Just read James' reply and edited this message, as no film exists...

If I can find further info, I will certainly post.

mfjp
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I wish that the LDS had filmed Provincia di Belluno. My Da Via's and Burrei's must be related to you somehow. They are all from Pieve di Cadore. Trevisan2 is thinking of filming the church records for that town also, this would really help in establishing the relationship.

James
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

I know of Tecla and Louis Davia. Tecla's maiden name was, in fact, Davia. Or Da Via, depending on what record you see. Anyway, Tecla did have siblings, and my great grandmother Sylvia Davia is one of them. Sylvia married Valentino Burrei in Nebbiu di Cadore (next to Pieve di Cadore) and had 3 children. After Valentino died, she came to Chicaog and married Victor Bellazzini and had twins. They all settled in Chicago.
Another sister was Itala, who strangely also married a man named Davia (John) and had 3 children. (I have to believe that there were so many Davias that they were only distantly related.)
Other siblings of Tecla were Carlo, Bruno, and possibly Paula.

I would like to know more about Louis & Tecla's children. I have them as Hazel (1907), Orlando (1909), Inez (1912), and Romalie (1914).

George Bultmann
rbellazz

Post by rbellazz »

George.... Not sure how much help I will be yet Sylvia Bellazzini was my grandmother. One of the twins you mentioned was my father. Am guessing either Neal Burrei or Zori Burrei (maiden) was one of your grand parents. Unfortunate for me I was the youngest grandchild as such my family history is limited. Currently reside in the western burbs of Chicago. Would gladly discuss should you deem it worth while. Ray
Deardorff.Rautio

Post by Deardorff.Rautio »

My great grandmother was Rosa Davia. Her parents were Osvaldo and Clelia Davia from Pieve Di Cadore. Rosa's brother Tully married Inez Davia, daughter of Tecla and Louis. My mom remebers most of the Davias from the Chicago area. Clelia and Osvaldo were both named Davia before they were married. He was killed in an explosion in Hurley, WI. His parents were Innocente Davia and Maria Antonia De Lorenzo. Clelia's parents were Valentino Davia and Guglielmotti.
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

All, I can tell now that we are talking about the same family, and that are part of the same family. All of the DaVia's and Davia's and Da Via's are confusing, but I know it now with these details. I have a lot of information on these trees if you want to discuss more...although you all have given me new information.
I know that in the small mountain valley towns of Cadore area, there were a lot of DaVia's and Burrei's. They were many with remote enough relations that they could marry. AND, the way they kept these "clans" separate is that they gave them surname nicknames. For instance, my line of Burrei was known as Monego. This was informal and rarely appeared on documents, but locals would just call you by that "last name." I don't know what the nicknames were for the DaVia's...and they likely were from separate clans.

Louis and Rautio:
It looks like we are all 3rd cousins, because we are all great grandsons of 3 siblings Tecla, Silvia, and Bruno DaVia.

Louis, your great grandfather Luigi Antonio DaVia (1880-?) married Tecla T Davia (1888-1983), who was a sister to my great grandmother Silvia DaVia. That family friend Louis Burrei was the father of Valentino Burrei, who married Silvia. They lived in Nebbiu, Italy...right next to Pieve di Cadore. Valentino died in a mine rock slide in Butte, Montana before Silvia and their three children emigrated to Chicago: my grandfather O'Neil (Neil) and siblings Luigi (Louis) and Zoira. I actually was able to visit his grave in Butte for the first time this past summer.
Who are your parents and grandparents? I show Louis and Tecla having 4 children: Hazel, Orlando, Inez, and Romalia.

Rautio, your great grandmother Rosa DaVia was married to Bruno DaVia, Silvia's brother. I did not have Osvaldo's or Clelia's parents names, so those are new. I have Bruno and Rosa as having 3 kids: Lorraine, Harry, and Geraldine. Where do you fall in? My mother knew Tully growing up in Oak Lawn, IL.

Both: I have a cool black/white photo of Rose & Bruno and Luigi & Tecla along with sister Itala & husband John Davia, including Tully & Inez, my grandparents Neil Burrei & Angela Hess, and Louis & Mary Burrei on the beach in Chicago, probably in the 1940's. I could share with you all, just drop me a line.

Ray, it looks like you and I are quite a bit closer. 1st cousins, once removed. My grandfather was Neil, Silvia's son from her first marriage to Valentino before they immigrated. I don't know the Bellazzinis, but my mother talked about knowing them from Chicago area growing up.
I have the Bellazzini twins Angelo and Bruno my tree, and have one daughter for Angelo and Phyllis Morgan. Would you be her brother? Maybe I'm missing people?
I would be interested in discussing more details via email if you want.

georgebultmann@gmail.com

Good conversation here!
George
ldavia

Post by ldavia »

I am the grandson of Tully and Inez. We are all from the southside of Chicago. My father was also Tully and his brother is Len.
ldavia

Post by ldavia »

ldavia wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 03:06 I am the grandson of Tully and Inez. We are all from the southside of Chicago. My father was also Tully and his brother is Len.
ldavia

Post by ldavia »

Does anyone have any addresses in Cadore for Tecla and Luigi? I know it's a long shot....
JDELORENZO66

Post by JDELORENZO66 »

New to this board. My father's mother was Maria Davia from Pieve di Cadore Region. She married Antonio DeLorenzo and they moved to Roseland area of Chicago. Trying to find ancestry data after dna results show that our Italian side is actually french :o
Any help would be appreciated.
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

@JDELORENZO66 - It sounds like those peole are definitely in this family. Could you provide any more details to identify them, such as birth dates, death dates, or full names? Or any siblings names? The name Maria Da Via is a pretty common one in this tree. I have 4. I do not have an Antonio De Lorenzo, but I'm willing to look. Let me know.
I have not heard about the French connection. :)
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

ldavia - for the address, I do not. The closest I have is that they lived in Gary IN, Chicago ward 4, and Chicago 9.