Italian Harlem Historians??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TruEstCst

Italian Harlem Historians??

Post by TruEstCst »

Still trying to track down my grandfathers birth certificate. Two years in the making. My grandfather grew up at 326 E 117th St, in Italian Harlem and was there until 9 years old (1911-1919). Does anyone know any names of the schools in that area around 1915?? Hoping to somehow track down an old school record.

I was also hoping to go on a tour of the old neighborhood when I return to NYC. If anyone knows the history of Italian Harlem and would be willing to provide a 2-3 hour tour of the neighborhood please let me know. You will be compensated for your time. Thanks again.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian Harlem Historians??

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you seen this website? Maybe one of the contacts here can answer your questions... :-)

http://www.thehistorybox.com/ny_city/ha ... nycity.htm

And this Italian Harlem blog...
http://italianharlem.wordpress.com/

And a "walkabout" of Italian Harlem (with pics)
http://famousankles.com/2008/07/17/ital ... nt-avenue/

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this reference to a Public School 83 on E. 110th St.

Public School 83 in East Harlem, E. 110th St., between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. Circa 1933. Source: The New York Public Library's Online Digital Gallery.
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=715024F&t=r

Here is a link to the school today. Maybe they can help you :-)
http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolPortals/04 ... efault.htm

You might find this also interesting. It is about the "Soup School" (La Soupa Scuola) - remembrances of Leo Covello ...
At this site...scroll down under the poster for the annual feast...
http://www.myitalianharlem.com/Home_Page.php

The Soup School was a three-story wooden building hemmed in by two five-story tenements at 116th Street and Second Avenue. When Vito pointed it out I experienced a shock. It appeared huge and impressive, I was ashamed to let him know that in Avigliano our school consisted of only one room, poorly lighted and poorly heated, with benches that hadn't been changed in fifty years. However, at this moment something really wonderful happened to take my thoughts from the poverty of our life in Avigliano.

The school itself was organized and maintained by the Female Guardian Society of America. Later on I found out that this Society was sponsored by wealthy people concerned about the immigrants and their children. How much this organization accomplished among immigrants in New York City would be difficult to estimate. But this I do know, that among the immigrants of my generation and even later /La Soupa Scuola/ is still vivid in our boyhood memories.

Why we went to the Soup School instead of the regular elementary public school I have not the faintest idea, except that possibly the first Aviglianese to arrive in New York sent his child there and everyone else followed suit and also possibly because in those days a bowl of soup was a bowl of soup.
T.
TruEstCst

Post by TruEstCst »

Hi thanks for the help. I have tried contacting everyone on those sites for a possible tour without success. Still hoping to find someone that is enthusiastic and knowleagble about the area so I can take the tour.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hi there,

I'd love to help you learn more about Italian East Harlem, although I wouldn't be able to take you on a tour. My Felitti & Trimarco ancestors first settled there in the early 1880's and maintained a presence there until the early 1950's. My great great grandfather Pasquale Felitti was a neighborhood physician on East 114th Street between 1st Avenue and Pleasant Ave. He died on Christmas day, 1915 suddenly of pneumonia, but was well known thoughout the neighborhood for helping woman with difficult child births. It's very possible he was the physician that signed you ancestors birth record. You haven't been able to locate it? Send me his name and I will take a look. I have been researching Italian East Harlem for about 6 or 7 years now and am writing a family history book on my Italian roots there (I'm about 100 pages into it right now and hope to have it finished this summer).

If you decide to take a walk through East Harlem make sure you know what you are going to go see first (your ancestors old buildings, etc). Having a plan is always a good thing. Unfortunately, if you ancestors was only there from 1911 and then before 1920, you won't find him in the 1910 or 1920 census, which can make things difficult. There was a 1915 census, but it's not online. East 117st off of 1st Ave (which sounds like where you're headed) is near Jefferson Park, Mount Carmel Church, Rao's Restaurant, Patsy's and lots of other interesting old Italian hang outs. There's a barber named Claudio in town who ran an Italian barber shop that just recently closed. He was forced out of the same building he had been in for decades. Luckily, a young doctor in the neighborhood has let him re-set up shop in his building just down the street. The neighborhood is a long way from where it once was back when it was Italian East Harlem, but it still resonates with immigrant history.

I'm just an amateur researcher, but if you give me more information on your ancestor who lived in Italian East Harlem, I'd be happy to use what I know to help you find information on him. Having lived so close to my family, you never know, they might have known each other. Post here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

very best wishes,

F-T
TruEstCst

Post by TruEstCst »

Thanks for your help F-T.
Here is a quick synopsis of what I know--
My grandfathers father died in 1918 of the flu. His mother was unable to care for him or his two brothers as they were court ordered into the St. Agatha Home for Children in Nanuet, NY from 1919 until 1927 ish. I located them on the 1920 census. They would return to Italian Harlem after leaving this school as proven by the 1930 census. His mother would live there until her death in 1957. He was baptized at Mt. Carmel Church and the baptism certificate they sent me said that he was born at 1558 8th Ave. (an address that doesn't seem to have existed). I think it may have meant 155 8th ave. but no luck from NY Dept of Health finding anything. I went to the Library myself with no luck anyhow here is the info in the event you have some sources--
My grandfather:
Francesco Paolo Tummillo born July 2, 1911
Parents:
Vito Tummillo, Maria Vincenza Trerotola
brothers---Luigi Paolo Tummillo, Antonio Luigi Tummillo (no record for them either)
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Thanks for the info. From reading you other posts on other threads it appears you've really dug in deep into this problem. I'm going to think about it for a while. It seems odd to me that the address of birth would have been on 8th Ave. This is kind of far from Mt. Carmel, which is on East 115th St between 1st and Pleasant Ave. I know it was a well reknowned church, and that may have been the attraction, but it does seem a little strange. 155 8th would have been even further than 1558 8th. I tried looking under their mother's name as well and came up with nothing. If I find anything I'll post it here. A very interesting situation... by the way, did you ever lay eyes on the original baptism at Mt. Carmel? Or did they just trancribe the information for you? I would be very interested to see the original documentation.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TruEstCst wrote:Thanks for your help F-T.
Here is a quick synopsis of what I know--
My grandfathers father died in 1918 of the flu. His mother was unable to care for him or his two brothers as they were court ordered into the St. Agatha Home for Children in Nanuet, NY from 1919 until 1927 ish. I located them on the 1920 census. They would return to Italian Harlem after leaving this school as proven by the 1930 census. His mother would live there until her death in 1957. He was baptized at Mt. Carmel Church and the baptism certificate they sent me said that he was born at 1558 8th Ave. (an address that doesn't seem to have existed). I think it may have meant 155 8th ave. but no luck from NY Dept of Health finding anything. I went to the Library myself with no luck anyhow here is the info in the event you have some sources--
My grandfather:
Francesco Paolo Tummillo born July 2, 1911
Parents:
Vito Tummillo, Maria Vincenza Trerotola
brothers---Luigi Paolo Tummillo, Antonio Luigi Tummillo (no record for them either)
You didn't post the year of birth for Antonio... but have you seen these records in the NYC Birth Index? The first one looks more promising :-)

Tummillo Antonio Jul 6 1905 33909 Manhattan
Tummillo Antonio G Jun 12 1900 26749 Manhattan

T.
TruEstCst

Post by TruEstCst »

I havent seen the original documentation from Mt. Carmel only the transcribed. As for his brothers one was born 8-1-13 Luigi Paolo and Antonio Luigi 3-16-16 or 3-18-16. Maybe they never filed the certificates with the city. It has not come easy.
italianharlem

Post by italianharlem »

Hi there,
I am the webmaster for myitalianharlem.com, and italianharlem.com. I'm not sure if you tried to contact me about a walking tour of the old neighborhood. If you are still interested in taking a tour, let me know.
Best regards,
Angela
TruEstCst wrote:Hi thanks for the help. I have tried contacting everyone on those sites for a possible tour without success. Still hoping to find someone that is enthusiastic and knowleagble about the area so I can take the tour.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

A lot of the buildings in Harlem, where our ancestors lived, were torn down for public housing. Your best bet is to contact the map division at the NY Public library, that will show you the streets that once were, but are now gone.