Pizzirusso and Rafaniello from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Pizzirusso and Rafaniello from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Dear all,

I am looking for anyone with information about the Pizzirusso and Rafaniello families from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Avellino. Also, I would appreciate any help I can get with military records. I have been told that my great grandfather Rocco Pizzirusso was a doctor's assistant in WWII and served in Africa. Additionally, I have been told that Rocco's father, Pasquale, was killed in WWI. I am visiting Italy in a few years - where should I go to find records? Prior to visiting, it would be great if anyone could undertake a preliminary search for me if they have access to a database.

I would also love to know more about my great great grandfather, Giuseppe Rafaniello. He migrated to Brooklyn, New York in 1902 after his brother Donato migrated in 1900. Giuseppe's wife was Angelina Campitiello. Donato had 12 children with his wife Pasqualina Leone. Giuseppe had quite a few children in the USA and eventually died there. However, my great grandfather, Rocco (Giuseppe's son) was born in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi and stayed there. Rocco never told his daughter (my grandmother) about his other siblings in the USA which seems rather strange. Please help!

Kindest Regards,

Carla Grillo
Pizzirusso, Compitiello, Rafaniello, Ferrantino, Cona, and Sterbinetto families. All from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Avellino.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Pizzirusso and Rafaniello from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi

Post by suanj »

Hi the only Pizzirusso from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi killed in the wars ( WWI and WWII) it was just 1:

Nome: ANTONIO
Cognome: PIZZIRUSSO
Data di Nascita: 4/8/1914 ( birth date: 4 aug 1914)
Luogo di Nascita: SANT'ANGELO DEI LOMBARDI ( birth place)
Luogo Sepoltura: Sconosciuto ( burial: unknown)
Data Decesso: 8/1943 ( death date: aug 1943)
Luogo Decesso: - ( death place: unknown)
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I found that record too on the Italian military website, but I thought not all records had been transcribed? Is there any other database?

Cheers,

Carla
Pizzirusso, Compitiello, Rafaniello, Ferrantino, Cona, and Sterbinetto families. All from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Avellino.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Carla it is possible that your Pizzirusso is not in th database; but for a deep search it is possible write to italian military website:
onorcaduti @ onorcaduti.difesa.it ( NO SPACES) but it are necessary all precise data of Pasquale( birth date, birth place, father name)..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of his birth date or his parents names. I will be travelling to Italy in a few years. Where should I go to find military records? Will I be able to find my ancestors records without the knowledge of his date of birth?

Cheers,

Carla
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the birthdates are very importants...

abt Pasquale and Rocco search:

-a way is to go in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi civil records office and to ask the birthdates of Rocco and Pasquale ...

having the Pasquale birthdate, you can write or to go in Avellino Archive and to request a photocopy of Foglio Matricolare abt:
PIZZIRUSSO Pasquale born in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi on....
ditto for Rocco if he was born before of 1912;
if Rocco was born after 1912
you must write in the Avellino Military district
and to request the Rocco Foglio Matricolarealso.

The Avellino Archive have this military documents:

Distretto militare di Avellino, 1848-1912
for men born from 1848 to 1912, so Pasquale must be in... and maybe Rocco also... if born before or in 1912.

by Foglio Matricolare you can know all military events abt Pasquale and Rocco...

other way for to know abt Pasquale (and Rocco if born before or in 1912):

by LDS to order the microfilms abt Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi civil records:

Registri dello stato civile di Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi (Avellino), 1809-1910 Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile

Births, marriages, banns, deaths, miscellaneous documents, citizenship records. Many records between 1866 and 1910 are missing.

and to find the birth act of Pasquale ( and Rocco if possible)..

knowing the birth date and parent's names you can write in Avellino archive asking the Foglio Matricolare... maybe the death is in this document also,

however, having Pasquale birth date and parent's name you can write also to
onorcaduti @ onorcaduti.difesa.it ( NO SPACES) so you will know also abt Pasquale death place and burial place

hoping helpful,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Thank you. You have provided me with a lot of very useful information.

Regarding the LDS, can I go to any Family History Center and order the civil records? Is that the title I should provide them with to make the order (Registri dello stato civile di Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi (Avellino), 1809-1910) or are there specific microfilm/microfiche numbers?

I have discovered that my great great grandfather, Pasquale, died in about 1915/1916 in Austria. Do you have any details concerning WWI and areas of combat? If not, can you suggest someone on the forum who may be able to provide me with some detail?

Thank you again,

Carla
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Abt LDS you can go in any Family History Center .. abt the microfilms I believe that you can order:
Nati 1866-1880
FHL INTL Film 1743445 Item 3 (=births 1866-1880; because Pasquale can be born in 1880 also)
Nati 1881-1906
FHL INTL Film 1743446 (Pasquale can be born from 1881 to 1906.. who know? my grandfather made the WWI and was born in 1888)

Nati 1907-1910 (if Rocco born in this period time) Pubblicazioni 1867-1910(marriage banns maybe you can find the Pasquale marriage bann) Matrimoni 1866-1903
FHL INTL 1743659

https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fh ... +Sant%27An++

abt the areas of combat I know not... in Foglio Matricolare it are the infos, but I know not if it are the infos that you are searching for;
just is the only military document with the military report of a man...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

That's great, thank you.

Do you know of anyone on the forum who is an expert on the first world war?

Cheers,

Carla
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Hello again,

I took your advice and ordered the LDS family history records for Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi. I'm pleased to report I found my Pasquale Pizzirusso and now have his exact birth date and parents names. I remember you saying I could write to a certain organisation which could help me with the army records? Would I need to write to them in Italian? If so, is there a template you could provide? I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter.

Kindest Regards,

Carla
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Archivio di Stato di Avellino
E-Mail: as-av@beniculturali.it
They will have the military record
email message
Archivio di Stato di Avellino
OGGETTO:registro di militare

Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi . Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’ registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di questa persona nei vostri registri.
Nome e cognome: Pasquale Pizzirusso
Data di nascita: BIRTHDATE
Luogo di nascita: Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi
Nome e cognome del padre: FATHER
Nome e cognome della madre: MOTHER
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,

YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Thank you so much! I will write to them ASAP.

Cheers,

Carla
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There was a major earthquake in Sant'Angelo in the 1980's that destroyed just about all their records including those on microfilm at the LDS.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Sorry, but that's simply not true. I have received quite a few Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi records on microfilm from the LDS. I'm not quite sure why people keep reporting this false statement?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The ORIGINAL records that were microfilmed were destroyed in the earthquake. The records on microfilm are the only ones that exist today. They were filmed by the LDS BEFORE the earthquake. I have been in contact with the State Archives in Sant'Angelo and have put them in contact with LDS so they can get copies from them! It is NOT a false statement.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.