Contacting the Civil Registration Office of Italian towns

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Contacting the Civil Registration Office of Italian towns

Post by rp76226 »

Is there a website that gives the address (and/or email address) of each Italian town's Civil Registration Office where the birth, marriage, and death records are kept?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Contacting the Civil Registration Office of Italian town

Post by PippoM »

You can try www.comuni-italiani.it
First, you can choose the province, and then the Commune.
In the page off the Commune, you very often find "Sito ufficiale".
That is the link to the site of the commune.
There, you can look for the address you need.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

That link doesn't work.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Try this link enter the name of the comune
http://www.comuni.it/php/link.php3?IdQuery=&x=15&y=7

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Marty, though it takes me to a page I haven't seen before, that link eventually sends me back to a screen from the "official" town site that is the same screen I obtain through http://en.comuni-italiani.it/index.html after a few clicks. Normally on these sites, you can obtain email addresses of the mayor which sometimes work and sometimes don't (that is, I get an error message that the address cannot be found). I never see an email address for the Civil Status Office, nor Population Office, though I can use the town rgular mail address to send a letter to Italy which most times generates no response. Is there a place to look for the email address for where these records are kept? This time I was looking for Collesano in the province of Palermo.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

The new email address you gave me - sindacocollesano@libero.it
sends back an error message saying to use the first email address I used but was rejected - sindaco@comune.collesano.pa.it
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If at first email doesn't work use snail mail. Emails in small towns are often accessed by only one person who must print them out and give them to the right office. Without a snail mail address the 'anagrafe' often doesn't bother.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I have a letter written in Italian that I will be mailing through the Post Office in America to the town's civil status registration office today. However, in the past, I have mailed many letters to Italy. 3 out of 4 never get a response. Some towns like Racalmuto and Corleone are quite good about responding. Others like Altamura and also the military records department never respond. Sometimes I get results in this forum receiving new family information. It doesn't hurt to try.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Sabino wrote:Purtroppo ci sono città dove devi insistere ed anche citare testi di legge per avere un pezzo di risposta.
Questo problema non riguarda soltanto l'Italia è la stessa cosa con altri paesi europei.
Sabino says some towns are like that you to pursue through the authority sometimes to get results it is like that in most european countries.
Like including this in your letter
OGGETTO: richiesta atto di (RECORD YOU WANT)ai sensi dell'art. 107 del DPR 396/2000
SUBJECT: Request (certificate) pursuant to art. 107 of Presidential Decree 396/2000
Grazie Sabino
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thank you. I will try that.