Other nationality research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Other nationality research

Post by acamma »

My general question to the community is due to the fact that a lot of us in the United States are mixed nationalities and want to do reseach on all sides of our families. This site has so many participants and topic coverage areas that make thing easier for we novices at this research effort. The ability to have both professionals at this and part-timers who still can be professional and friendly is not only rewarding but nice as a 1/2 Italian to know that we as a nationality are a friendly and helpful group(I guess growning up in a German bastion like Cincinnati its really nice for me to have pride in my Italian compatriots) The main thing though is I have tried many websites to get hits on my family roots and I would love to find a similar German and French site, I have tried over the last 3 months and have seen nothing similar but even though it might be a another great Italian pride moment for me to think that only Italians would make a site so top of the line, I still want to hope the French and Germans have some desire to create a similar site. SO to make this short has anyone come across due to their own searchs or just professional knowledge a site in those two cultures with this level of diversity of topics and ease of use?
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Other nationality research

Post by ptimber »

Why don't you just go to the internet or www.google.com and type in the title french genealgy forums or german genealogy forums and a number of them will surface which you can revuiew and choose at yourleisure. Peter
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

Peter:

I have done that, and I have seen a lot of sites (and I know there are more out there) its just the ones I have gone in have been very limited and I really have found none like this. And even though I do wish I could speak Italian, I never will also be able to pick up German and French also. At least with Italian I might recognize a word or two from my study of Spanish or I could send to a few relatives on the east coast who could find someone to translate it. The other languages I have no one to use in that way. That is the other thing that makes this site so easy for me at least I can read everything on the site. Even one German site I found with limited things I wanted only had part of the site translated so it was a hit or miss for me. Its funny in that a friend of mine was goofing off on my computer and put me in a German language dating web site. I just pulled it up and saw someone from where part of my grandmother's family was from and I sent this woman a note saying I wanted to find out about things in the hometown of my ancestors nothing more and we have been writing to each other for weeks so she can tell me facts about the city and maybe see if she can find distant relatives of mine still in the city. I told one of my family maybe thats how we should really do this have us write through these dating lines in other countries and one day we might even find a distant relative on the site, if we make sure we tell up front this isn't for some mail order bride or husband situation.
The French sites I have found are the ones I really have problems with locating data I can use. The German sites are also limited and sometimes totally dominated by site componets that link me to paid services I don't want to use until I know I am at a deadend in going back any further or getting real documentation.

Tony
Anthony Philip Camma
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Is your french perhaps French Canadian? If so I should be able to help you out, as this is my second area of research. My maternal grandfather was a Tessier from Quebec. I have quite a library of primary source material if you should need help or direction. Private message me and let me know the details. I have also researched in France using their civil records which date from the late 1700's as well as church records stretching backward into the 1500's(which unlike Italy are in French not Latin).

Jim Bianco
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you have the hometowns for both the German and French part of the family then its a matter of applying yourself in researching those towns with the family surnames and see what you find and, more importantly what information you need so that at least people will be able to zero in on those towns more readily. This fellow who lives between book stacks in a the library should also be able to help you out as olong as you write to him privately. he is shy. Peter
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Auburn0508 »

acamma - you have PM
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
Lina

Post by Lina »

Hi,
I am new to this site, but I have been searching German sites and reccommend that you type the name of your town, etc. into your browser line. It should bring you to local sites for that area. Most are in German, but some are translated. I typed in Schleswig-Holstein, GE and came up with many sites for my ancestors in S-H including a mailing list for that area. If this helps you, a good one is www.rootdigger.de.

Good luck, hope this helps.