marrage records from Gessopalena italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
the shadow

marrage records from Gessopalena italy

Post by the shadow »

I am trying to establish where my grandfather Filippo Cavaliere was born as well as his parents & families residence & history. All I know is that he was born in 1893 and came to the US to work from 1913 to 1922 when he returned to marry my grandmother Anselma Pellicciotta in her home town of gessopelana italy in 1922. Afterwards he returned to the US in 1923 and later send money for my grandmother and infant uncle geno to come to the US to live with him. they lived in Clifton Heights outside of Philadelphia Pa. Filippo died in 1937 from a blood desease but fathered 3 sons Geno, Phillip & John Cavaliere. It is belived that my grandfather Filippo may have had a sister named
Philomena but we are not sure? It is also belived his family was from Gessopalena and that is how he knew Anselma but we are not sure?
thanks,
Paul Cavaliere
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: marrage records from Gessopalena italy

Post by wldspirit »

According to page 2 of his 1923 manifest he list place of birth as Gessopalena, I would send a request to the town requesting birth and marriage records.

There are standard form letters which you can use:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

and http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/l ... civile.asp

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's additional info for the town, in case you need it.

UFFICIO DEMOGRAFICO
COMUNE DI GESSOPALENA
Piazza Marino Turchi
66010 Gessopalena (CH)
Italia

e-mail: servizidemografici@comune.gessopalena.ch.it
PERSIANI Clodoveo (person in charge of this office)

Tel: +39.0872.988112
Fax: +39.0872.988109
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

I sent off a request using the formats suggested, all I can do is hope for a response? My uncle will be traveling to gessopalena in October, next month for the first time. he plans on checking out the local church for records on our family if they exist? If they have them would the church release them to him or would he still have to go threw the local archieve curator?

PauL
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

I now have a new twist to my grandfathers origins, I found a copy of a 1917 US army draft registration card for my grandfather fillippo cavaliere, in it he states his birth place as Perdesca,Reggio Calabria Italy? that being said I need to find a contact for that town ,Pardesca, to ask for birth records. can anyone post up a link for me? In the mean time I will do a search for the office there in Pardesca.
thanks,
Paul
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

the Filipo Cavaliere on the draft card may not be the same person i am looking for but I am still interesed in sorting it out? the birth date is off a few years (1888 & not 1893?). It may just be a coinsidence that they are near the same age,have the same name & spelling and both worked for the rail road?
paul
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

the shadow wrote:the Filipo Cavaliere on the draft card may not be the same person i am looking ...paul
Hey Paul
This may be the correct Jun 1917 WWI Card
No specific birth location
Valarie

http://imageshack.us/a/img338/9921/1917y.jpg
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

thanks Valarie thats the correct WW1 card the other one I found is for a different Filippo cavaliere. My grandfather settled in the chester area in the 1920's when he brought over my grandmother from gessopalena. I did just find out that Filippo wrote apon entering the country ,that his dads name was Giuseppe Cavaliere on his first visit to the US in 1913 and that he traveled on board the SS Ancona.
I still have no idea if he was born or his moms name, it is obvvious he is not from pardesca now?
thanks a bunch!
paul
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

the shadow wrote:... I did just find out that Filippo wrote apon entering the country ,that his dads name was Giuseppe Cavaliere on his first visit to the US in 1913 and that he traveled on board the SS Ancona...
Paul, what is his birth location on the 1913 manifest - it should be on pg 2, last column
Valarie
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

it was Gessopalena!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

the shadow wrote:...It is belived that my grandfather Filippo may have had a sister named Philomena but we are not sure?...
Paul,
possible brother Michele Cavaliere
Valarie

1914 ship manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img716/2942/1914a.jpg
next page
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/3439/1914bg.jpg

4 Jun 1914, SS Taormina, Phila

line 1
Michele Cavaliere 28, abt 1886
- possible naturalization notation: 23 Jul 1928 72534
- last residence Gesso.
- leaving wife Filomena in Gesso
- joining brother Filippo in Chester Valley PA
- born in Gesso pal (probably Gessopalena)
the shadow

Post by the shadow »

wow, great work! I have to forward this to my father!!!

thanks!!!

Paul