NJ process to order record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

NJ process to order record

Post by bmilazzo »

My niece needs to order her grandfather/mother's marriage certificate. She is not married. I have been unable to reach NJ VR.
What does she need to provide for proof of relationship?
Her BC
her father's BC

What else?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: NJ process to order record

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the information for ordering from New Jersey Department of Health...
Step 4: Proof of Relationship - ONLY required if ordering a certified copy of a vital record

Proof of relationship is not required if you are asking for a certification, which is an uncertified informational copy of the vital record which is not valid for establishing identity or legal purposes.

To get a certified copy you must provide proof of your relationship to the person listed on the vital record and the proof must establish you are one of the following:

The subject of the record
The subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative
The subject’s spouse/civil union or domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age
A state or federal agency for official purposes
Pursuant to court order

See the How to Prove Relationship tips at the bottom of this page for information on how to prove your relationship. This is a key requirement to getting a certified copy of a vital record.

Failure to provide proof of relationship is the number one reason certified copy applications are rejected.)
http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml

T.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bmilazzo »

Thank you. I've been to that page several times. But it isn't specific to my niece's situation. Besides her BS and he dad's BC, will she need her mom's BC, her parents marriage certificate. One of the reasons the Italians ask US citizens for so much documentation is that there is little clarity between US locals, states, federal and every US location has a slightly different requirement for what they call documentation. For example, I was married in a county. no such possibility exist in Italy. so I had to go to a different consulate and get them to verify that marriage registered in a county (as opposed to a city or town) was legally acceptable in the US local where I was married.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

bmilazzo wrote:Thank you. I've been to that page several times. But it isn't specific to my niece's situation. Besides her BS and he dad's BC, will she need her mom's BC, her parents marriage certificate. One of the reasons the Italians ask US citizens for so much documentation is that there is little clarity between US locals, states, federal and every US location has a slightly different requirement for what they call documentation. For example, I was married in a county. no such possibility exist in Italy. so I had to go to a different consulate and get them to verify that marriage registered in a county (as opposed to a city or town) was legally acceptable in the US local where I was married.
To request her grandparents' marriage certificate...
FROM NJDOH...
If you are requesting a certified copy of

your parent’s or sibling’s vital record
you must provide a copy of your birth certificate to show you are the child or sibling of the person whose record you are requesting.

your grandparent’s vital record
you must establish that you are the person’s grandchild by providing proof that links the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent.
That would mean that she must FIRST establish that she is the child of her parents, and then that her parent (direct line) is the child of her grandparents...
Her BC, father's BC, father's MC, Grandparents MC...

T.