Does anyone know Latin and can translate?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Does anyone know Latin and can translate?

Post by Josie07M11 »

Sorry to be greedy and ask for another translation so soon but I've found a church record for one of my ancestors and it's in Latin, extremely difficult to read and decaying. Can anyone help me? I just want to know if it says anything about Francesco Rapisarda's age at death and/or his parents names? Thank you.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/3509q28.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Does anyone know Latin and can translate?

Post by erudita74 »

Josie07M11 wrote:Sorry to be greedy and ask for another translation so soon but I've found a church record for one of my ancestors and it's in Latin, extremely difficult to read and decaying. Can anyone help me? I just want to know if it says anything about Francesco Rapisarda's age at death and/or his parents names? Thank you.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/3509q28.jpg
I can't decipher every word, but I believe that I have most of what the document is saying. Dated Jan 16, 1867. Francesco Rapisarda, husband of Sebastiana Paglia, age 60. The words "animam Deo"-I believe refers to his soul being sent to the Lord-I have seen documents which read "soul put to the Lord." Then there is a list of the Sacraments he had received-Penance, Eucharist (Holy Communion), and Extreme Unction (the last rites). Then it states he was buried in the church, but I don't know what the individual letters stand for. Then there is the name of the priest. No parents are named in this death record.

Hope this helps.

Erudita
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Josie07M11 »

Wow Erudita thank you so much :) It it certainly difficult to decipher Latin especially when it is handwritten over 150 years ago. Thank you very much :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Josie07M11 wrote:Wow Erudita thank you so much :) It it certainly difficult to decipher Latin especially when it is handwritten over 150 years ago. Thank you very much :)

You're very welcome, Josie. Happy to help. I've been researching a lot of Latin records as of late, so I have improved in my ability to decipher them. I still have a ways to go though at being able to get every single word in them. BTW, where it says "ex PP. CC." it means "parish priest, church curator" in English. So that is the info which appears directly before the name of the priest that I couldn't decipher last night.

Erudita