Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Italian Military Records

Post by EMTLP »

I found a photo of an unknown relative that is dressed in an Italian military uniform. Is there a way to search military records. Is there a way to post the image using the Img tab? I am curious as to the date the photo was taken which might be evident to someone based on the style of the uniform or the type of photo. It is an oval convex piece of metal with a wide brown boarder. It almost looks like the photo was decoupaged on the metal. A note with the photo suggests that the man could be a brother of my grandfather.
My family is from Avigliano,Potenza,Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Military Records

Post by nuccia »

You can try to attach the photo using a program such as http://imageshack.us/ (or other free uploading program). Someone here may be able to tell you something about the photo.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Hello, Thank you for the photo tip.
It can be viewed at
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8583 ... orloru.jpg

The information I have is that the photo is of an unknown Martinelli or unknown LoRusso. If he is a LoRusso he would be the brother of my grandfather Francescoantonio LoRusso b. 11 April 1902 in Avigliano, Potenza, Italy to Vincenzo LoRusso b. 7 June 1866 and Maria Isabella Nardozza b. 12 Feb 1875 in Avigliano, Italy.
To my knowledge Vincenzo & Isabella LoRusso had three sons besides my grandfather. They were all born in Avigliano. I don't know if they all came to the United States. They are Tomasso LoRusso b. 11 Jan 1899, Vito Nicola LoRusso b. 7 Oct 1908, Leonardo LoRusso b. 11 May 1911.

If the soldier is a Martinelli my grandfather Francesco Antonio LoRusso was probably the godfather and sponsor of the Martinelli soliders younger brother.

I think the photo was taken between 1910 and 1916.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

All I can say is I hope I'm correct saying this is a uniform of "Bersaglieri".
Could you post the note, too?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Note says:
Frank LoRusso husband of Mary. She died Dec 15, 1977
Taken in Italy with Martinelli boy -who was confirmed

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... russo.jpg/

The note was just written an a piece of paper by my mother. Frank is my grandfather. He was born in Avigliano Potenza Italy on 11 April 1902. The question is whether the soldier is the brother of my grandfather or the brother of the unidentifed Martinelli boy in the confirmation photo with him.