Researching Grandfather Pietro Russo from Armento, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ftmarney

Researching Grandfather Pietro Russo from Armento, Italy

Post by ftmarney »

I am trying to research information on my maternal Grandfather. His name was Pietro (Peter) Anthony Russo. His parents were Giovanni (John) Russo and Margaret (Maria) Embroso. I believe they were from Armento, Italy. My grandfather was born on Oct 17, 1883 and immigrated to America as a young man. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Researching Grandfather Pietro Russo from Armento, Italy

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D

If you haven't done this...

The Family History Center has Armento civil records on film to rent,
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/778894

Locate one in your area and spend many enjoyable hours learning about your family.

Also, I have several names in my family from Armento, but I don't have, at this time, a connection with your Russo. Once you get on with the search, you will probably recognize some of my family names.
http://www.paulflo.com/violaandgrande.html

I believe Margaret Embroso is actually Ambroso, but you will need to verify this.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Actually there are some online records for Armento on familysearch.org under the category

Italy, Potenza, Potenza, ...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910
Potenza
Armento

As you can see, the 1883 birth records are missing. It would be the same thing if you rented microfilm at a family history center (the 1883 births are not there), although FHC has additional microfilms for the town that you could rent which are not listed below.

This is what is currently online at familysearch.org

Nati 1866-1882
Nati 1884-1910 Pubblicazioni 1867-1910 Matrimoni 1866-1910 Morti 1866-1910

Erudita
ftmarney

Post by ftmarney »

Thank you so much for this information.. I will continue to try and research my Grandfather's Birth.. We were unsure of it being Armento, but some documentation seemed to indicate that was his Birth City. I also had the additional spelling as an option of his Mother Margaret Embroso to be Ambroso.
Thank you again..