Charles Romano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adelfio
Master
Master

Charles Romano

Post by adelfio »

Postby chowdahgirl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 am

Marty!

Thank-you for replying!IIn my dad's paperwork it says my grandfather came from Naples. I also have another record which is the a marriage certificate from Rhode Island for my grandfather and grandmotherfrom 9/9/18. My grandfather (Charles Romano) shows a date of birth of 10/12/ 1885 on it. It shows his father, my great grandfather, as Nicola Romano and his mother, my great grandmother as Cristina Sasso all from Naples. I also have a name of Motola in the records I received from my father's foster care. We have NEVER been able to locate a birth certificate for my father, also named Charles Romano (b. 1/26/20). He changed his name to McCoy (foster name) when he turned 18 and went into the service.I don't know how he got into the service without a birth certificate. He had heard he was born it Pittsburg, but after several requests to Pennsylvania and about 5 different surrounding states I have never found one. My grandmother Gergianna Synmonds (it says Andrews on the marriange certif) was married several times and was suppsedly has a long court history in Boston which is where we are from and my dad was dropped off when he was 1 1/2 years old. My grandmother (Georgiana) is from Peabody/Salem Mass.She abandoned my dad and grandfather. Beleive it or not but I have found cousins on my grandmother's side which I am so grateful for! I found them on Ancestry.com and we are in touch quite a bit. My heart still aches to find the Romano side. Eventhough my dad had his foster family, his foster brothers never made him feel like he was part of the family. He was never a "real McCoy." I have letters from my grandfather after my dad was left at Boston Charitble Organziation.The are full of love and thoughts for his baby boy as he sent payments wanting the BCO to care of him. I have three of those letters and I lamanated them. I thought I found family in NY-Staten Island, but I don't think I have the correct family. Marty..I really want to find out what happened to my grandfather. Did he go back to Italy, die in the war...I don't know. I have information in the foster packets but I am not coming up with alot.It's like he fell off the face of the earth. My grandmother remarried back in Ohio and I saw a 1930 census that had a Charles Romano as a border, but I can't find a death certificate with that DOB. My cousin who is a Symonds and big time into Ancestry.com tried to help me but we can't even find a death certificate for Georgianna. I just want to find anyone on his side. There is a big hole in my family that has festered over the years. Our sense of belonging to the Romano side is so strong and I am grasping for anything at this time. I was going to hit up the Italian American Club here in Venice, Fl for help until I saw this website. Sorry this is so wordy! Let me know if I can help with more info. I know Romano is like Smith in Naples so I am not sure where to start. In the records it shows my dad being left at BCO on 4/22/21. It also says that my grandfather came to the US 9 years prior (1912-ish). There is a Romano with a wife of Alphonsina from NY and that is not the family. I was so hopeful, but it didn't add up.

Than-you for your help!
chowdahgirl Newbie
Newbie Posts: 3Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Charles Romano

Post by adelfio »

I would like see that marriage record if you could attach it to the post

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

THIS POST WAS BY SUANJ
Postby suanj » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:51 am

Hi by 1920 census, if it is correct census, seeming that he arrived in 1905:
1920 United States Federal Census about Charles Romano
Name: Charles Romano
[Charles Romans]
[Charlie Romans]
Birth Year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Leechburg, Armstrong, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1905
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Georgian Romano
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Home Owned: Rent
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Charles Romano
Georgian Romano

suanj

Visit my website:

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

POSSIBLE SHIPMANIFEST
Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943
LINE#2 Leaving the port of Napoli coming from Sulmona a city and comune of the province of L'Aquila in the Abruzzo, Italy
Name:Carlo Romano
Arrival Date:19 Jun 1905
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1888
Ethnic Background:Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure:Naples, Italy
Ship Name:Canopic
Port of Arrival:Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name:Castartini Odorini
Last Residence Italy
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi this record.. it could be abt your Charles Romano jr?

1930 United States Federal Census about Charles Romano
Name: Charles Romano
Birth Year: abt 1920
Birthplace: Massachusetts
Race: White
Home in 1930: Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
View Map
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birthplace: United States
Mother's Birthplace: United States

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Mary J Mccoy 61
Helen M Mccoy 28
Abbie B Mccoy 25
Francis H Mccoy 22
George L Cann 15
George Jolly 14
Charles Romano 10

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Suanj...I found a record!!! It is Carlo Romano...he came into Boston on June 19 1905. I looked at the printed record and it said he came to visit a friend. I looked to see on the record the last place of residence and I can't read it or understand it. If you have access to the ship record he is on the second line...I am not familiar with the towns in Italy but if you can tell me that then that could open a whole new door for me!!!!!!!!! Mille Graztie! If I could reach over the internet and give you a hug I would!
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... 61-15.html

By 1920 census the Charles Romano birthyear is 1889 abt.. you said that him DOB was 12 Oct 1885...
the Carlo Romano arrival that Marty found:

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943 about Carlo Romano
Name: Carlo Romano
Arrival Date: 19 Jun 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Castartini Odorini (Costantino/i Odorisi)
Last Residence: Italy

coming from Sulmona (Abruzzo region) and not from Napoli ( Campania region) and going in Colorado to join uncle Costantino/i(?) Odorisi..
I believe that this record is no abt your ancestor...

Also it is possible that your ancestor used Charles first name in USA and that the italian first name was different...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you can say us by what document you founfd the birth date of Charles Romano 12 oct 1885? In Providence, RI was a Carmine Romano married at Clotilde and born on 15 oct 1885, in Marzano Appio town ( Caserta province, Campania region) and he cannot be your ancestor because he was married at Clotilde in 1918 and it was single in 1915 Rhode Island census...

so are you sure abt the your Charles Romano birthdate?

Because I cannot find it by WWI draft registration card database...
Ande because your Charles married in Rhode Island:
Rhode Island, Marriages, 1851-1920 about Georgiana A Andrews
Name: Georgiana A Andrews
Spouse: Charles Romano
Marriage Date: 9 Sep 1918

him WWI draft registration card must be in the RI ..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you post the marriage record for us to see Use a photo sharing website like postimage.org its free and safe Upload the image to postimage.org using the browse feature click on family safe then copy and paste the Thumbnail for Forums (1)link to your post on here

Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Marty, no images are availables for this database:

just the data....
bye,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

suanj wrote:Marty, no images are availables for this database:

just the data....
bye,
suanj
Hi Suanj
She said she had the original marriage record from Rhode Island with other records
like to see the info on it
I also have another record which is the a marriage certificate from Rhode Island for my grandfather and grandmotherfrom 9/9/18. My grandfather (Charles Romano) shows a date of birth of 10/12/ 1885 on it. It shows his father, my great grandfather, as Nicola Romano and his mother, my great grandmother as Cristina Sasso all from Naples. I also have a name of Motola in the records I received from my father's foster care. We have NEVER been able to locate a birth certificate for my father, also named Charles Romano (b. 1/26/20). He changed his name to McCoy (foster name) when he turned 18 and went into the service
Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok, she requested the marriage certificate... by ancestry.com no image available... bye,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name:Charles Romano worked as a laborer at a steel company in Johnstown PA
Wife Georgianna Romano
City:Manhattan
County:New York
State:New York
Sept 12 1918 only a couple days after the marriage
Birth Date:12 Jan 1886 Born in ITALY
Race:White
Draft Board:116
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
chowdahgirl

Post by chowdahgirl »

Thank youso much Marty and Suanj. I will try to post the marriage certificate this afternoon. My grandfather says in his letters he is "working on the tracks". The letters are from Wilawana PA Octo er 13,1921 and piPittsburg Dec 1, 1921. My couson helped me locate a marriage recordwhere grandmother Georgiana married againon May 22,1922 in Cayuga county Ohio to a William White. t
chowdahgirl

Post by chowdahgirl »

Marty,

I uploaded to imageposte.org and tried to copy and paste. I could not get it to work. I tried to just use the upload thing located here on the website and it said the attachment was invalid. Can I email it to you?

Helen
chowdahgirl

Post by chowdahgirl »

That WWI Draft Card is very interesting Marty!!!!! Do you think that is him? There is some info on the foster records that show they wrote my grandmothers DOB as 10/3/89 and my grandfather as 1886...so it appears that may be him. I guess I was focused on that marriage certificate. People did not seem very truthful back then for some reason! Did he have to live in NY to register for the draft or could you just register for it anywhere back then? Suanj said she thinks he would have had to register in Rhode Island.