Quattrocchi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gdepollo

Quattrocchi

Post by gdepollo »

I am looking for the ancestors / family of CONCEJIE QUATTROCCHI who emigrated to the United States from the area known as Abazia di Sulmona. I believe his parents were Liberato Quattrocchi and Philomena DiBacco.

If you have any information related to Liberato Quattrocchi or Philomena DiBacco Please contact me.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Quattrocchi

Post by Biff83 »

For reference, possible 1904 manifest for Concezio Quattrocchi

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible brother Giuseppe's death record from WV

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/2775/ll9a.gif

and brother Raffaele's deach record

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7388/f1gt.gif

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

WWI Draft Reg Card

Name: Concezio Quattrocchi
County: Somerset
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Abazia, Italy
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1889

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5809/hvw0.jpg

Biff
gdepollo

Post by gdepollo »

As all genealogy researchers apparently know, there are little inconsistencies that make certification of records to individuals difficult.

I had the Ellis Island record and attributed it to my Concejie Quattrocchi. I had been told by family that he came to the U.S. when he was about 12 years old. The ship manifest says 14 yrs old. That would mean that the birth year would be about 1890, but my Concejie Quattrocchi was supposed to have been born in 1884, six years earlier. Often spellings and other facts were entered erroneously by 'officials' so the ship manifest may be in question.

The WWI Draft Draft Registration Card date of birth more closely matches the 1904 ship manifest's birth date. My Concejie Quattrocchi apparently served in the Italian Military as I have a copy of a Commemorative Certificate issued to him dated 21 November 1912. That would have made him 28 yrs old at that time, based that we believe his birth year to be 1884. I also have found a handwritten Family Tree from years ago listing his entry into the U.S. as April 1904. That same Family Tree lists siblings of 'Concezio' (spelling difference) as; Dominic, Anthony, Guiseppi, Raphael, Joseph and Anna. The fact that Guiseppi generally translates to Joseph and a Joseph is listed as another sibling brings this handwritten Family Tree into question.

The two death records you supplied were already in my file and are verifiable siblings. I even knew Guiseppi when I was a child, having visited him prior to his death in 1960.

I appreciate your assistance. I am trying to verify the siblings. I have nothing on Dominic (who I do not have as a sibling), 'Joseph' (I believe is an error, I have a Cesidio as a brother instead) and Anna (who I do not have as a sibling). I am also trying to find more about the parents Liberato Quattrocchi and Filomena DiBacco.
gdepollo

Post by gdepollo »

Mis-typed " I also have found a handwritten Family Tree from years ago listing his entry into the U.S. as April 1904." I meant that the early handwritten Family Tree had his entry to the US listed as April 1903.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

gdepollo wrote:As all genealogy researchers apparently know, there are little inconsistencies that make certification of records to individuals difficult.

I had the Ellis Island record and attributed it to my Concejie Quattrocchi. I had been told by family that he came to the U.S. when he was about 12 years old. The ship manifest says 14 yrs old. That would mean that the birth year would be about 1890, but my Concejie Quattrocchi was supposed to have been born in 1884, six years earlier. Often spellings and other facts were entered erroneously by 'officials' so the ship manifest may be in question.

The WWI Draft Draft Registration Card date of birth more closely matches the 1904 ship manifest's birth date. My Concejie Quattrocchi apparently served in the Italian Military as I have a copy of a Commemorative Certificate issued to him dated 21 November 1912. That would have made him 28 yrs old at that time, based that we believe his birth year to be 1884. I also have found a handwritten Family Tree from years ago listing his entry into the U.S. as April 1904. That same Family Tree lists siblings of 'Concezio' (spelling difference) as; Dominic, Anthony, Guiseppi, Raphael, Joseph and Anna. The fact that Guiseppi generally translates to Joseph and a Joseph is listed as another sibling brings this handwritten Family Tree into question.

The two death records you supplied were already in my file and are verifiable siblings. I even knew Guiseppi when I was a child, having visited him prior to his death in 1960.

I appreciate your assistance. I am trying to verify the siblings. I have nothing on Dominic (who I do not have as a sibling), 'Joseph' (I believe is an error, I have a Cesidio as a brother instead) and Anna (who I do not have as a sibling). I am also trying to find more about the parents Liberato Quattrocchi and Filomena DiBacco.

The WWI Draft Registraton that Biff :D posted above references the Italian Military Service (2 years as a private in the Alpina) :)

T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1914 manifest for Concezio

Page 1

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

Page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

Age 29, dob about 1885
Leaves wife Lucia in Italy.
Destination: Thomas WV to join brother Francesco
Previously in WV 1900-1911.

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Wife Lucia Leopardi's 1916 manifest with son Alberto Quattrocchi
Destination: Coketon WV to join husband/father Concezio Quattrocchi.
Leaves father Leopoldo in Sulmona

Page 1

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

Page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1948 Death Certificate for James Jim Quattro (looks like this is Concezio)
Date of birth: 30 Nov 1884

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_view.as ... Type=Death

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Naturalization record for Concezio.
DOB: 12 Nov 1884
Arrived on the Trave in April 1903

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1909003

Here's a April 1902 Trave manifest for whom I believe is your Concezio--listed as Concetto Quattrocchi.
Age 18, dob about 1884
Destination: Coketon WV

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027

Biff
gdepollo

Post by gdepollo »

Thanks for the continued help.

I do have several of the documents already from my research of Ellis Island records. New to me are the two ship registry sheets from 1902 S.S. Trave and 1914 Stampalia.

Yes, COncezio Quattrocchi was known in the U.S. as Jim Quattro.

I took a microscope to the signature and have determined that the proper spelling is CONCEZIO as the handwritten signature confirms it. The cursive letter had an anomaly that made it appear to be a cursive j with a dot over it. To further confuse the person who typed the form spelled it with a j. Realizing that there is no letter j in the Italian alphabet was another thing that should have made it clear to me earlier.

I also have documents, procured by Lucia (Leopardi) Quattro, from the offices of the Commune di Sulmona that verify his birthdate as Novemeber 30, 1884. So the birthdate along with age calculations compared to dates on these documents helps certify whether or not they refer to my Concezio.

Concezio according to his daughter, Adeline (Adelina), came to the U.S. for the first time when he was 12 years old. He also made many trips back and forth from the U.S. to Italy. He worked as a coal miner.

When Lucia (Leopardi) Quattro came to the U.S. she had their first child with her. The first child was Guido Quattrocchi, later known as Guido Quattro of East Hartford, Connecticut. The surname of all the family was shortened to Quattro and reportedly took place about 1927.

The Declaration of Intention form you supplied is slightly different from what I have as my copy is the actual certificate issued to Concezio Quattrocchi.

I have a copy of the Certificato di Matrimonio from the Commune di Sulmona indicating the marriage date as December 4, 1913.

Lucia (Leopadi) Quattrochi came to the U.S. in 1916 and all the other children (7) were born from 1917 and later. Therefore the draft registration which seems to be dated June 5, 1917 must be for another individual because it indicates a wife with four children.

What I'm really searching for are records that verify my Concezio's siblings names. I just recently made contact with a grandson of Concezio's brother Antonio Quattrocchi (Anthony Quattrocchi). Anthony Quattrocchi died in 1965 and is buried in East Hartford, CT. I know that his brother Raffaelle Quattrocchi died in the 1918 influenza epidemic and is buried in Thomas, WV. His Brother Guiseppe Quattrocchi died in 1960 and is also buried in Thomas, WV. There was possibly a brother named Cesidio Quattrocchi and a sister named Anna Quattrocchi.

I am looking for emigration records for any siblings of Concezio and any records that have to do with Concezio's parents, Liberato Quattrocchi and Philomena DI BACCO or their parents.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

In doing some checking, records for Sulmona/Solmona from 1809-1865 are available on the following site.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Id=7261970

Since Concezio was born in 1884, it's likely that his parents were born in 1865 or earlier. You can determine this by writing to the comune and requesting a copy of his birth certificate; what you'll need is a copy from the birth register in the civil records office. This record would include his parents' names and ages with other details which is much more inclusive than a certificate of birth. At the same time, you also could request a copy of Lucia Leopardi's birth record (assuming she was also born in Sulmona), and a copy of their marriage act. Once you determine the parents ages, you could then check the online records available on the site above and locate other direct ancestors.

Tracing Concezio's siblings is problematic since there are no online or microfilm records available after 1865. The death certificates of Giuseppe and Raffaele confirm their relationsip. I did locate two WV marriage records for two Anna Quaattrocchi's in the early 1900's; one married a Nicola Mancuso in Wheeling WV, and the other married a Domenico Gentilo or Gentile in Tucker county. The records online, however, do not give parents' names, and I'm not sure if further details might be available from the Tucker County clerk's office but that might be worth pursuing.

I also found a Cesidio Quattro in Tucker county (married, born about 1879)on a 1910 census living with a DiBacco family. I'm still checking to see if I can locate any death, naturalization, immigration or other records which would prove he was another sibling of Concezio but have come up empty thus far. I'll let you know if I find any other information.

Later,
Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Cesidio Quattrocchi 1910 census
Cesidio Quatro
Age in 1910: 37
Birth Year:abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Fairfax, Tucker, West Virginia
Immigration Year: 1896
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Single
Naturalized

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8022/ltid.jpg

Naturalization from WV--note first papers filed in Suffolk County NY

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2131836509

1900 census--living with brother A. Quattrocchi, born 1862, in Suffolk County
Name: Cesidio Quattroecki
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1900
Event Place: ED 792 Southold Township Greenport, Suffolk, New York, United States
Birth Date: Dec 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Brother
Marital Status: Single
Immigration Year: 1896

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1496942320

Possible 1896 manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0204

Biff
gdepollo

Post by gdepollo »

You are good! I've been researching this lineage for over thirty years and in a couple days you've come up with several items that I never found before.

The Tucker County 1910 Census is the most probable document. My Quattrocchi lineage includes members from the DiBacco family. Liberato Quattrocchi was married to Philomena DiBacco. Also, Liberato's son, Anthony Quattrocchi (1887-1965) was married to Petronella DiBacco (1898-1985). Was there another page to the 1910 Census showing the house address?

During the early 1900's Concezio Quattrocchi worked as a coal miner. Concezio's daughter said that Concezio did talk a lot about Somerset, PA, but the other facts on the WWI draft registration card don't make sense. Concezio alegedlly came to the U.S. when he was 12. He was born in 1884. He married on Dec. 4, 1913. He lived and worked in Coketon, WV which is about 1/2 mile from Thomas, WV. In 1942 he bought a business property in Davis, WV, two miles from Thomas, WV. In 1940 he acquired title to coal lying under 102 acres near Bayard, WV. In 1945 he acquired a second property in Davis, WV.

The New York 1900 Census lists a date of birth for A. Quattrocchi as 1862, unfortunately that doesn't match the verified birth date of Concezio's brother Anthony Quattrocchi, who was born on April 27, 1887. Concezio's brother was married to Petronella DiBacco (b. June 29, 1898). Anthony and Petronella had no children named Elena or Marie.

The Naturalization record for 'Gesideo Quattrocchi' almost seemed to be another probable document. The spelling of the given name could have been an error that I made, or it could be an error made by the clerk for the Circuit Court. There can be no doubt that many errors were made by clerks of various agencies. That said, the fact that the Naturalization document lists Dominic Quattrocchi and Dominic DiBacco as witnesses seems to offer credibility. However, I have no knowledge of a Dominic Quattrocchi relationship to Concezio Quattrocchi.

One of the issues that plagued this research was that in the Tucker County, WV area including the three towns of Coketon, Thomas and Davis there are many Quattrocchi, Quattro, Quatro families. Almost all of them indicate ancestry back to the Abazia di Sulmona, Italy yet they claim 'we're not related'. By example, four years ago I went to the City Hall of Thomas, WV with another daughter of Concezio Quattrocchi (a.k.a. Jim Quattro). We went there to look up information on a cemetery plot map. We were met by the Mayor, who's surname also is Quattro. During introductions they both said "No, we're not related". I question how this can be, thus my search to find information going back through Liberato Quattroccho and Philomena DiBacco and their predecessors.

This 'not related' issue also occurs with the Tucker County families with the surname DePollo / DiPaolo. There are two DePollo families that claim to have originated in Intodaqua, Italy (a small community on the side of a mountain just above Sulmona), yet also claim no family ties.

There is a lot of information that is new to me in the links you've provided. I'm grateful for your efforts.