Putting the puzzle together

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Putting the puzzle together

Post by marymary52 »

Giacomo Maisano and his wife Maria D'astro... Giacomo Maisano and his brother in law Giovanni D"Asta or D"astro.... Erudita sent me this. They are coming from S. Margherita (Santa Margherita) Since the others towns on this manifest page appear to all be Sicilian,I believe it is one of the Santa Margherita Frazioni (hamlets) in Sicily, but I can't tell which one. I don't think it is the town of Santa Margherita di Belice (Agrigento Province, Sicily} but rather one of the hamlets in Messina Province, Sicily. 38 years old in 1896 Maria Dastro and Giacomo Maisano. The question I am looking for is, who is Giacomo Maisano's Mother??
[/color]
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Putting the puzzle together

Post by nuccia »

Is it possible for you to link the manifest here? There may be some clues. Do you know his father's name? Also, where in the US did he settle- have you been able to place him on a census? Messina records are online on both Family Search and the Italian Archive site.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did some looking heres a Possible birth record for Giacomo Maisano in Santa Margherita Messina works with your shipmanifest
INDEX#2
1857 Jan 14th in the town of Santa Margherita Messina birth of Giacomo Maisano son of Nunzio Maisano age 23 and Maria Gatto age 22
PG LINK
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 7.jpg.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I wil try to get his death cert. from NY and see if the birth dates are the same. Giacomo had a son named Nunzio so this might be a match. Thank you!
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

ONe more question do you know who is Maria Gatto mother? Could her last name be La Rosa (Maria) and did Giacomo and Maria have any other children? Thank you
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

ONe more question do you know who is Maria Gatto mother? Could her last name be La Rosa (Maria) and did Giacomo and Maria have any other children? Maybe Ginnavinna? Thank you
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

marymary52 wrote:ONe more question do you know who is Maria Gatto mother? Could her last name be La Rosa (Maria) and did Giacomo and Maria have any other children? Maybe Ginnavinna? Thank you
According to this Solemn Promise to Marry (Act #3 - 1 Aprl 1856... Church celebration took place on 18 May)
Maria Gatto, age 22, single, was the daughter of deceased Maria [Gatto] and living Domenica Casale.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
ONe more question do you know who is Maria Gatto mother? Could her last name be La Rosa (Maria) and did Giacomo and Maria have any other children? Maybe Ginnavinna? Thank you
Found this birth record - Act #19 - dated 7 October 1858
GIACOMO MAISANO - born 6 October 1858 at 2 AM to
Nunzio, 26, shoemaker; and Maria Gatto, 24, his wife
Child was baptized at the parish church on 8 October 1858

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

T.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Did they have two sons with the same first name? Maybe one died?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

marymary52 wrote:Did they have two sons with the same first name? Maybe one died?
I checked for a death act for the first GIACOMO (born 1857) and found none in years 1857 or 1858 (the birth of the second GIACOMO)

However, I did find a death act for Nunzio's FATHER - Giacomo Maisano
Act #7 - dated 27 November 1857
Giacomo Maisano, age 62, widower of Giovanna Manganaro
He was the son of deceased NUNZIO and deceased ANTONIA (no surname given for mother)

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I am waiting for the death cerft. (New York) for Giacomo Maisano Let see what kind of info on the parents.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I just received my great grandfathers death cert. of Giacomo Maisano It shows Giacomo Maisano father was Nuncio Maisano and his Mother was Maria Gatto. Thanks for everything.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

My Giacomo Maisano died in 1904 age 42 and his father was Nunzio Mother Maria Gatto
I don't think this is the same Maisano as above.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

marymary52 wrote:My Giacomo Maisano died in 1904 age 42 and his father was Nunzio Mother Maria Gatto
I don't think this is the same Maisano as above.
I believe your Giacomo is the same as the Giacomo born in Oct. 1858! :-)
Found this birth record - Act #19 - dated 7 October 1858
GIACOMO MAISANO - born 6 October 1858 at 2 AM to
Nunzio, 26, shoemaker; and Maria Gatto, 24, his wife
Child was baptized at the parish church on 8 October 1858

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

US death records can be inaccurate about ages, etc. I think the age of 42 is very close to the actual age of Giacomo in 1904 (would be about 45-46 if born in 1858)
Since the parents names are the same (Nunzio Maisano and Maria Gatto) I believe this is the birth record of your Giacomo...

T.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Putting the puzzle together post 7423

Post by marymary52 »

Maria Cascale and her daughter maria cascale have the same last name. I was wonder why didn't she have her fathers last name?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Putting the puzzle together post 7423

Post by Tessa78 »

marymary52 wrote:Maria Cascale and her daughter maria cascale have the same last name. I was wonder why didn't she have her fathers last name?
I think you are talking about Maria Gatto?
There is an error in the translation of the Solemn Promise to marry above...

Maria Gatto's FATHER was MARCO GATTO, and her mother was DOMENICA CASALE... (NOT Maria [Gatto] and Domenica Casale :oops: )

Hope that clears it up. Maria Gatto DID have the same last name as her father :-)

T.