Grace Russo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Grace Russo

Post by frankdamore »

Hello again,

This was the last piece of my struggle. I've made so many strides with the different names in my family and have many of you to thank. The last person I am struggling with is my great grandmother. Out of all those I struggled with, I can't believe it's her! It must be because how stubborn she was. This is the old great grandparent of mine that I have memories of.

I know Grace was born 7-4-1896 in Sicily (Palermo I believe). She had passed 9-4-87 in Buffalo, NY. Grace was married to Samuel (Salvatore) Cordova and I would have to assume they married either in Youngstown Ohio or Buffalo NY. They had three children (Frances/my grandma, Caroline, and Jon). According to census records, Grace immigrated between 1912-1913, naturalized in 1917. Her marriage I would assume was sometime after 1913, but before 1916 when my grandmother was born. I believe Grace's father's name is Ignazio and her mother, Caroline/Calogera Belfiore. I haven't had actual proof yet of these. She did have two brothers to my knowledge (Rosario-1885) and Antonio.

I haven't been able to find any birth records or her immediate family records. I spent hours digging through Palermo records on ancestry.com and came up blank.

Any help, like always, would be greatly appreciated. This is the final person I am researching to send me in the right direction of success.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Grace Russo

Post by suanj »

Hi, maybe Grace Russo birth year is wrong, because:
Grace Russo, "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994"
Name: Sam Cordova
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 06 Jun 1912
Event Place: Mahoning, Ohio, United States
Event Place (Original):
Birth Year (Estimated): 1893
Birth Date:
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Name: John Cordova
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name: Trank Belfine
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Name: Grace Russo
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Age: 18
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1894
Spouse's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Father's Name: Ignazio Russo
Spouse's Father's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Mother's Name: Calogera Belfiaro
Spouse's Mother's Titles and Terms:
Reference ID: 260
GS Film number: 907317
Digital Folder Number: 004017191
Image Number: 00478

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I believe that Grace first name was Orazia, changed in Grace in USA. I found this arrival:

First Name: Orazio
Last Name: Russo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Funnefreddo, Italy
Date of Arrival: Apr 12, 1912
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Venezia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011

born in Fiumefreddo, father Ignazio in Fiumefreddo
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0880070037&
abt the first name:
NAME:
Grace (Orazia) Russo
BIRTH: 07-04-1896 (7 Apr 1896) - Italy
DEATH: 09-04-1987 (9 Apr 1987) - Buffalo, Erie, New York, United States of America
SPOUSE: Samuel (Salvatore) Cordova
and by marriage record the birthyear is 1893... maybe the arrival that I found could be right...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Maybe should go the other route looking to see where her brothers Rosario and Antonio came from?
Do you know their wifes names and where they settled?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Orazia RUSSO born in Fiumefreddo di Sicilia ( Catania province) on 2 Mar 1894, daughter of Ignazio RUSSO 39 old and Calogera BELFIORE

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1002301522
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Prego Suanj
Heres I think her brother Rosario Russo

U.S., Consular Registration Certificates, 1907 - 1918
Name:Rosario Russo
Birth Date:4 Mar 1885
Birth Place:Fiumefreddo , Italy
Spouse:Cardillo Antonietta
Residence:Giare, Italy
Civil Date:2 Oct 1912 in Youngstown Ohio
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wow Marty! Wonderful find! :D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

suanj - I am learning that I need to be more creative in my searching. The record validates the parent names that I had! Phew! It's interesting seeing "Trank" as John's wife was named Francesca. The marriage certif as well as the birth register you posted are very helpful.

Marty - always coming through with more info! I thank you for the info on Rosario. I was actually able to link the numerous children he and Antoinette had. Busy man (and busy woman)! Antonio married Isidora (unknown last name).

Side note and question:
I cannot run that video you linked me to Marty. I run Linux at home and I don't believe it's compatible on my computer. I will have to view the video once I visit my mother or sister since they run Windows.

When you are searching using Familysearch.org, are you just typing in known information and searching from there? I see the birth registrar you posted for Orazia. I type in the info and I know (even limiting the info) to search and I don't come up with that info. I'm just trying to see what I may be doing wrong so I can better start researching her parents now.

Thanks again - Frank
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Suanj posted that just go to
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043496

Then click on Fiumefreddo and it will bring up the towns records that are available look for indexes in the back of the year(MOST OF THE TIME) your searching between years. Indexes list the surname and first name and a index number for the record you seek just work your way back to the record you seek by the index number
Birth and death records are 3 to a screen page marriage 2 records per screen page
Make a little notebook keep track of the town and index year and page it is on your always going back to indexes

Marty

Marty