Crosetti Carrega

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mclalanne

Crosetti Carrega

Post by mclalanne »

I am trying to figure out the name of my paternal great grandfather. I am doing a search to determine how he died at a young age (leaving a widow and children in Carrega.)

I have a 17 year old son who was just diagnosed with a genetic heart condition. I want to search backwards to see who died from heart attacks. I already know that my brother, father, and grandfather did.

We do not know this man's name.
My grandfather was Caesar Crosetti. Born 1899, Carrega Ligure. Mother was Margherita Crosetti. Maiden name could have been Spinetta, although I may be guessing that. He immigrated to San Francisco in 1917. I know the family history after that, but not in Italy.

Anyone have suggestions on who to contact in Carrega?? This info won't help my son, but will answer some questions for me.

Help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Crosetti Carrega

Post by Tessa78 »

Just to let you know... cause of death was generally not listed on an act of death :-(

You can write directly to the Comune of Carrega Ligure to request your grandfather's birth record from 1899, and ask for a death record for his father.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Capoluogo, 48
15060 Carrega Ligure (AL)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

We do not know this man's name.
My grandfather was Caesar Crosetti. Born 1899, Carrega Ligure. Mother was Margherita Crosetti. Maiden name could have been Spinetta, although I may be guessing that. He immigrated to San Francisco in 1917. I know the family history after that, but not in Italy.
Found an arrival manifest for them in 1914
Arrival on SS Cleveland to NY/Ellis Island on April 9, 1914
Margherita Spinetta Crosetti (Italian women traveled using their maiden name) was a widow of age 43 from Carrega Alessandria
Cesare was age 17.
They were going to her son Attilio Crosetti, 547 Wisconsin St., San Francisco.
The number notations by Margherita's name indicate she may have begun the naturalization process, which may provide the name of her deceased husband.

T.
mclalanne

Post by mclalanne »

Wow. That's the closest I have gotten and seems accurate. Lots of lost history and I am surprised she accompanied my grandfather when he came. She then must have returned because she came back in 1929 when Attilio brought her back for good.

How do you see Naturalization papers??
mclalanne

Post by mclalanne »

Tessa,

I just saw the first post.
Thank you. I emailed to Carrega but will write.
I can write in Italian (although the translations do a great job!)

I was hoping to learn his name and cause of death too. We believe he died while working on a ship at sea. My mother believes he was buried in New York. If that is the case, it would be nice to know where. But if my memory serves me right I think he was buried at sea.

Thank you for the other info though.

M
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mclalanne wrote:Tessa,

I just saw the first post.
Thank you. I emailed to Carrega but will write.
I can write in Italian (although the translations do a great job!)

I was hoping to learn his name and cause of death too. We believe he died while working on a ship at sea. My mother believes he was buried in New York. If that is the case, it would be nice to know where. But if my memory serves me right I think he was buried at sea.

Thank you for the other info though.

M
At least the birth record of your grandfather should have his father's name. It may even have Cesare's grandfather's first name :-)
I would recommend a letter of request in Italian...

FYI - looking at the manifest from 1929, Attilio and his wife(?) Natalina are both US citizens.

T.
mclalanne

Post by mclalanne »

Yes, in fact in that trip to Italy (my mother says was their honeymoon) they brought back his mother. Margherita to live. Remember you wrote that she came thru in 1914 with my grandfather Caesare?She must have returned to Carrega after that voyage. She lived with them for one year and then moved in with my grandfather Caesar, Grm. Renza, and father and aunt. The 1930 Census shows that to be true. During that trip they purchased a beautiful coral necklace for my grandmother which I still wear today. We are also all still in San Francisco and Oakland areas.

Attilio and my father were window washers at first and then started their own firm which closed in 1985 after the early death of my eldest brother. It was called Crosetti Brothers at first. 1956-1957 were terrible years in our family- one grandmother and two grandfathers, AND two great uncles (one being Attilio) all died. Wow. Lots of history gone. What we do know is not written and all records are gone.

All I know is that all of them died from heart issues. I want to see how far back that goes. It can't help my son, but just my interest.

I will write but just got an email from my second cousin in Genova that she phoned Carrega this morning. They said they will search but going that far back is difficult. Often there were not records.

Thank you so much for your help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Located some naturalization index listings for Attilio and Cesare...
Maybe it will help you get some of the documents...

Northern District of California (try writing or calling to inquire about how to get these records)
Declarations of Intent filed
May 1916 - Attilio Crosetti - Found in Vol. 37, page 283
1917 - Cesare Crosetti - Found in Vol. 61, page 210

Petition Card for Attilio lists a date of October 1918 and a Petition #3091

Images
Attilio in DOI index
Cesare in DOI Index
Attilio Petition Index Card

T.
mclalanne

Post by mclalanne »

I just realized that I have been spelling his name wrong in my search.

It is Cesare in Italian, not the Caesar I am used to. My brother's middle name is Caesar...

BTW, Natalie (Attilio's wife) was born in the United States of Italian immigrants. That is why she
was traveling with an American passport.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You might consider writing to "potential" relatives in Carrega Ligure :-)
Someone may be familiar with your great grandmother's story!

The Italian Phone book currently has 4 listings for CROSETTI
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... igure+(AL)

and 1 for Spinetta
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... ega+Ligure

Help with letter to possible relatives...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.

BTW - the online tranlation sites do NOT do as good a job as you think.
mclalanne

Post by mclalanne »

My Italian cousin was able to get a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate from the office in Carrega.
It lists his father's name :). Now they said they will start searching church records for that man's death certificate. The woman in the office did say that could take a while! They don't know the exact year.

Well it worked pretty quickly to have an Italian cousin step in.