FINDING MY GRANDFATHER

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ftino1951

FINDING MY GRANDFATHER

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello

I would like help finding my Grandfather who was born in Italy in 1898. I think he was born in one of these three towns - Catanzara, Gasparina, or Montepaone. He came to the USA in or around 1911. He was 13 years old at the time. His name was George F Fiorentino. He was deported back to Italy sometime in either 1932 or 1933. I do not think he obtained United States citizenship while in the USA. I think he passed away in Italy in the town of Montepaone. He had remarried in Italy and had 3 sons.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you so very much
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: FINDING MY GRANDFATHER

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found this record:
dated 17 sep 1918
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about George Frank Fiorentino
Name: George Frank Fiorentino
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 23 Feb 1899
Race: White
Draft Board: 6

next of kin: brother Frank Fiorentino in US Army

I found a naturalization of Frank Fiorentino born on 27 jul (or jun)1888 in Catanzaro, making military service in Camp Crane Allentown, PA and naturalizedo on aug 1918
Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 about Frank Fiorentino
Name: Frank Fiorentino
State: Pennsylvania
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Eastern District, Pennsylvania
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 27903

I believe that George Frank Fiorentino was born in Gasperina with italian name of Gregorio Fiorentino:

First Name: Gregorio
Last Name: Fiorentino
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Gosperina, Catanzaro
Date of Arrival: May 14, 1914
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0020

father Giuseppe in Gasperina, joining at brother Francesco Fiorentino in Philadelphia, PA

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0523%2ETIF

birth act: Gasperina 23 feb 1898 #32

Gregorio Fiorentino son of Giuseppe Fiorentino ( son of Pietro) 40 old, farmer and of
Rosa Agresta ( spell) 30 old, farmer

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1038375883

it could be the person that you are searching for?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello

Thank you so very much for all of the info. Hopefully this is the correct Fiorentino. At least it gives me a place to start. I am trying to get dual citizenship thru my Grandfather so that I would be able to live in Italy. This was a great help.
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello
I have one other question at this time. My Grandfather was born in Italy but my Father was born in the United States and was the fifth of five sons. None of the sons were born in Italy. We do not know if my Grandfather naturalized but I do know he was deported back to Italy right before my Father's birth. My Grandfather's name is on my Father's birth certificate. Would I be eligible for dual citizenship? I am getting conflicting answers on some of the articles I have read. Thank you again John
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ftino1951 wrote:Hello
I have one other question at this time. My Grandfather was born in Italy but my Father was born in the United States and was the fifth of five sons. None of the sons were born in Italy. We do not know if my Grandfather naturalized but I do know he was deported back to Italy right before my Father's birth. My Grandfather's name is on my Father's birth certificate. Would I be eligible for dual citizenship? I am getting conflicting answers on some of the articles I have read. Thank you again John
hmmm it are some problem... because:
1. I know not if your George Frank Fiorentino in USA was the Gregorio Fiorentino that I found.

2. if yes, if it is the correct person, on your father birth certificate the him father name was George F Fiorentino and as you can prove that George Frank Fiorentino and Gregorio Fiorentino is one and the same person?

3. On Gregorio Fiorentino ship's manifest are the marking abt naturalization or so
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020
and it are also a big "A" on. I know not what mean maybe some member here can help better.. because to know abt the naturalization is very important..

so before of anything, you can give some additional details abt George Frank Fiorentino where he lived ... the wife name.. if they was married legally.... the children names...
so we can have a better idea.....
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello

My Grandfather was married in the United States to a woman named Mary Catherine Martelli(maiden name). My Father's birth certificate states her name as Mary Catherine but she went by Catherine. They had 5 sons in the United States - names were Joseph,George,Frank,Ralph and John. When he was deported back to Italy he was with another woman,not sure if they ever married,but they had 3 sons whose names are Salvatore,Anthony, and Peter. The last I knew Salvatore lived in Montepaone. I think this is where my Grandfather died. I have no idea of my step grandmother's name in Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

where the family lived in USA?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found this obit:

CORNWALL Francis Anthony Fiorentino, 84, passed away Tuesday, February 21, 2012, at the Crozer-Chester Medical Center. He was the husband of Carol A. (Chernich) Fiorentino for the last 51 years. Born in Lancaster, on January 24, 1928, Francis was a son of the late George and Catherine (Martelli) Fiorentino. Francis was a member of Sacred Heart Church in Cornwall, the Lebanon Navy Club, and the Rexmont Fire Hall Club. He served in the U.S. Navy and was an avid Boston Red Sox Fan. Francis watched ETWN and said the rosary three times every day. He enjoyed sitting on his porch and talking with the neighbors, but most of all enjoyed spending time with his children and grandchildren. Surviving, in addition to his wife, are four children, Anita, wife of Craig Miller, Julie, wife of Dave Werner, FrancisFiorentino, Jr., and Ruth Ann, wife of Jon Beers; seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; three stepgrandchildren; one step great-grandchild; and two brothers, George, husband of Mary Fiorentino, and Ralph, husband of Jo Ann Fiorentino. He was preceded in death by a sister, Marian; and three brothers, Joseph, John, and Anthony. Funeral Mass Saturday 11 a.m. at Sacred Heart Church, 2596 Cornwall Road, Cornwall 17016. Interment at Holy Savior Catholic Cemetery. Viewing Saturday morning form 9 to 11 a.m. in the social hall at the church. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Sacred Heart Church, P.O. Box 136, Cornwall, PA 17016. Thompson Funeral Home, Inc. is entrusted with the arrangements. Share your thoughts and memories with the family at our on line guest book at http://www.thompsonfuneralhomelebanon.com
Published in Lebanon Daily News on February 23, 2012

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

possible census:
1930 United States Federal Census about George Ferantal
Name: George Ferantal
Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Lancaster, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Map of Home: View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1913
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Catharine M Ferantal
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
George Ferantal 32
Catharine M Ferantal 32
Mary R Madonna 15 (stepdaughter)
Joseph R Ferantal 5
George Ferantal 4
[4 5/12]
Frank Ferantal 3
[3 8/12]
Ralph V Ferantal 1
[1 8/12]

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=1
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

Hello
I knew the Francis Fiorentino who passed away in February of 2012. He was my Uncle and lived across the street from my parents. My Grandfather George or Gregorio We think his first son George was born in Boston - at least that is what I was told. The rest of his children were born in Lancaster,pa. I did have the census,but the spelling of the last name was wrong but all the first names matched.
Sorry for all the questions but anyone who would be able to give me any information on my family is deceased or doesn't remember anything. I did recently write to Salvatore Fiorentino in Montepaone. I know it takes a long time for letters to go to Italy from the United States but hopefully he may have some infon that can help. I so appreciate all you are doing.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, in effects George Fiorentino was born in Massachusetts as by 1930 census. Here the birth record:

Massachusetts, Birth Index, 1901-1960 and 1967-1970 about George Fiorentino
Name: George Fiorentino
Birth Date: 1926
Birth Place: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Volume Number: 2
Page Number: 81

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi abt my previous post:
next of kin: brother Frank Fiorentino in US Army. I found a naturalization of Frank Fiorentino born on 27 jul (or jun)1888 in Catanzaro, making military service in Camp Crane Allentown, PA and naturalizedo on aug 1918
well this Frank is no the brother of Gregorio Sorrentino; it is another Frank Fiorentino, a different person..
I found the brother of Gregorio Fiorentino:
U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Frank Paul Feorantino
Name: Frank Paul Feorantino
Birth Date: 22 May 1892
Birth Place: Gasperina, Italy
Residence: Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Francesco Paolo Fiorentino born in Gasperina on 22 May 1892 son of Giuseppe Fiorentino and Rosa Agresta.. same Gregorio parents;
birth act #67(sessantasette):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1038375883

arrival:
First Name: Frco. Paolo
Last Place of Residence: Gasperina
Date of Arrival: Jun 01, 1907
Age at Arrival: 15y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Neckar
Manifest Line Number: 0011
with uncle Salvatore Fiorentino 41 old, joining at father Giuseppe in Philadelphia, PA 627 Catherine St
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1988070400

I believe that the below record is abt a second trip of Gregorio father:
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Place of Residence: Gaspanna, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 18, 1906
Age at Arrival: 50y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Manifest Line Number: 0022
with son Vincenzo 16 old, joining at son Pietro 627 Catherine st Philadelphia; Giuseppe was before in USA from 1895 to 1896
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

I found th ship's manifest also of Pietro Fiorentino ( named as the Giuseppe's father) with uncle Salvatore 38 old and the final destination in 1905 was Boston, MA:

First Name: Pietro
Last Place of Residence: Gasperina
Date of Arrival: Mar 10, 1905
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Manifest Line Number: 0005

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 2365030571&
so Pietro moved- after the arrival- in Philadelphia PA
Pietro made some other trip, married in Italy and maybe back in Italy ... and also some other family member...

I believe that the Gregorio Fiorentino that I found , it could be the your right ancestor... but it is just my opinion, because matching:
the George Frank Fiorentino oldest son first name (Joseph) with Gregorio father first name (Giuseppe=Joseph) by italian tradition....

the (right) Gregorio brother Francesco Paolo = Frank Paul lived in Lancaster, PA also; the oldest brother, Pietro, landed in Boston ....

but, without to know the right italian name of your ancestor... it is a bit hard... however... I believe that I am not far from the truth...
and that Gregorio Fiorentino found could be your ancestor...
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ftino1951

Post by ftino1951 »

I want to Thank you so much for all your help. I am trying to gather more information so that I can prove this man named Gregorio is my Grandfather. I am trying to locate any kind of marriage records in Italy for him and also the United States. So far no luck but I will keep on searching. Plus I have not been able to locate his death certificate. I will keep in touch and let you know how my search is going. Thank you John
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:D Ok!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH