Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MLDP98

Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by MLDP98 »

Hello,

I am a first time user of this board and also new to searching for my Italian roots.I am searching for any records of my paternal grandfather's arrival in the USA from Italy.His full name is Marco Michele DePalma. I really don't know which town or province that he came from in Italy.But a poster on another genealogy website told me that he may have come from the same town as my grandmother which was Faicchio,Italy.A very nice woman who responded to another one of my posts offered to have her cousin go to the town hall in Faicchio to check the records for me there! I couldn't thank her enough for her generous offer.Her cousin did find my paternal grandmother's birth records in Faicchio which was fantastic! But,unfortunately,there was no record of my paternal grandfather having been born there too.

I have also heard "Campania,Benevento, Italy" mentioned during family gatherings when I was just a child. But I really don't know for sure if that is where he was actually born since my relatives who mentioned that area are no longer living now. I haven't been able to locate him on the Ellis Island website or any other genealogy websites that I have tried.So I am hoping that someone on this message board might be able to give me some clues as to where I should look next.

I decided to search the 1910 census records and I found out that my grandfather's year of immigration was sometime during 1890 at the approximate age of 17.What other ports besides Ellis Island were open during that year? He eventually met his future wife in New Haven and they married on January 28,1900 also in New Haven.The census records also showed that by 1910 my grandfather was now 36 yrs. old and living in an apartment on Wallace Street in New Haven with his wife and five children.Over the following 14 years they eventually had eight more children for a total of thirteen by 1924! My grandfather purchased a home on Poplar Street in New Haven after the Wallace St. apartment became too small for his growing family. He lived there until he died on May 25, 1952 in New Haven,CT at the age of 79.

My grandmother's name was Maria Michela Federico and she lived in Faicchio, Benevento, Italy. Her port of departure was from Genoa,Liguria,Italy. She traveled to the USA on the Fulda and she arrived at Ellis Island on May 5,1898 at the age of 16. She then traveled to New Haven,CT where she moved in with her older brother. About a year later she met my grandfather there and then married him after another year had passed. I found out all of above info on my grandmother from the Ellis Island website,old census records and the other poster that I mentioned earlier. But,so far,I am unable to find my grandfather's records posted anywhere.

I found out through some family papers that my paternal,great-grandfather's name was Bernardino DePalma and my paternal,great-grandmother's name was Maria Angela Marselia.I have no idea where they were born or where they lived in Italy. As far as I know they never traveled to America for a visit. I have even tried searching for them on Italian websites but it turned up nothing at all.If anyone can help me locate my great-grandparents records in Italy I would really appreciate it very much!

Also, please let me know if anyone has any info that can help me in my search for my grandfather's records in the USA and/or Italy,locating the name of the ship on which he traveled to the USA,his port of arrival in 1890,his year of naturalization,his declaration of intention papers and his border entry records.Thank you for any help that you can give me in finding the answers to any of my questions above!

Thank you,
Mark L. De Palma
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Mark,
Also, please let me know if anyone has any info that can help me in my search for my grandfather's records in the USA and/or Italy,locating the name of the ship on which he traveled to the USA,his port of arrival in 1890,his year of naturalization,his declaration of intention papers and his border entry records.Thank you for any help that you can give me in finding the answers to any of my questions above!
You mentioned you found your grandfather on the 1910 census. In the column next to the year of immigration will be a code that indicates naturalizatio status. AL = alien, PA = papers filed, NA = naturalized american. Check his status on the various census years and you will be able to see when he filed his papers and became naturalized.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Can you name Marco's siblings?? :?:

Lots of DiPalma's from Ripabottoni,Italy coming through Castle Gardens in the late 1880's and early 1890's.

Promise to review further once my keyboard airs out... long messy grape juice - soggy story... and am not on my computer as I type this :cry:

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

MLDP98 wrote:Hello,

I am a first time user of this board and also new to searching for my Italian roots.I am searching for any records of my paternal grandfather's arrival in the USA from Italy.His full name is Marco Michele DePalma. I really don't know which town or province that he came from in Italy.But a poster on another genealogy website told me that he may have come from the same town as my grandmother which was Faicchio,Italy.A very nice woman who responded to another one of my posts offered to have her cousin go to the town hall in Faicchio to check the records for me there! I couldn't thank her enough for her generous offer.Her cousin did find my paternal grandmother's birth records in Faicchio which was fantastic! But,unfortunately,there was no record of my paternal grandfather having been born there too.

I have also heard "Campania,Benevento, Italy" mentioned during family gatherings when I was just a child. But I really don't know for sure if that is where he was actually born since my relatives who mentioned that area are no longer living now. I haven't been able to locate him on the Ellis Island website or any other genealogy websites that I have tried.So I am hoping that someone on this message board might be able to give me some clues as to where I should look next.

I decided to search the 1910 census records and I found out that my grandfather's year of immigration was sometime during 1890 at the approximate age of 17.What other ports besides Ellis Island were open during that year? He eventually met his future wife in New Haven and they married on January 28,1900 also in New Haven.The census records also showed that by 1910 my grandfather was now 36 yrs. old and living in an apartment on Wallace Street in New Haven with his wife and five children.Over the following 14 years they eventually had eight more children for a total of thirteen by 1924! My grandfather purchased a home on Poplar Street in New Haven after the Wallace St. apartment became too small for his growing family. He lived there until he died on May 25, 1952 in New Haven,CT at the age of 79.

My grandmother's name was Maria Michela Federico and she lived in Faicchio, Benevento, Italy. Her port of departure was from Genoa,Liguria,Italy. She traveled to the USA on the Fulda and she arrived at Ellis Island on May 5,1898 at the age of 16. She then traveled to New Haven,CT where she moved in with her older brother. About a year later she met my grandfather there and then married him after another year had passed. I found out all of above info on my grandmother from the Ellis Island website,old census records and the other poster that I mentioned earlier. But,so far,I am unable to find my grandfather's records posted anywhere.

I found out through some family papers that my paternal,great-grandfather's name was Bernardino DePalma and my paternal,great-grandmother's name was Maria Angela Marselia.I have no idea where they were born or where they lived in Italy. As far as I know they never traveled to America for a visit. I have even tried searching for them on Italian websites but it turned up nothing at all.If anyone can help me locate my great-grandparents records in Italy I would really appreciate it very much!

Thank you,
Mark L. De Palma
Hi are this:
Cognome
DIPALMA (Di Palma)

Nome
MAR. (Marco)

Professione
UNCLE

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
RIPABOTTONI

Destinazione
NEW-YORK

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
ALESIA

Data d'arrivo
10/14/1890 (14 Oct 1890)

--
in travel with:
Cognome
DIPALMA

Nome
DOM.MAR. (Domenico Marco or Mario)

Professione
UNCLE

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
RIPABOTTONI

Destinazione
NEW-YORK

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
ALESIA

Data d'arrivo
10/14/1890

no records about Marco DE PALMA
can be...?some suggestions?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I-saw-the-manifests-too-....problem--is-they-are-both-marked-as-female... :?

Here-is-a-manifest-of-a-dePalma-along-with-a-Federico...see-line-16-and-25-as-they-are-both-from-Faicchio-April-1890

http://img224.exs.cx/img224/3162/giusdipalfed0nl.jpg

Will-keep-looking-for-Marco! :wink:

mfjp
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Suanj......

You are not going to believe this, but the Mar. DiPalma you listed was Maria Dipalma and her sister, Maria Domenica DiPalma. Marie DiPalma was my great grandmother!!!!....

I have gone through so many Ripabottoni records that I am fairly sure Marco is not from there...I don't remember a Marco...but I suppose it could be....

will check the Ripabottoni records to be sure.......

Have a great one.............
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Essgee wrote:Suanj......

You are not going to believe this, but the Mar. DiPalma you listed was Maria Dipalma and her sister, Maria Domenica DiPalma. Marie DiPalma was my great grandmother!!!!....

I have gone through so many Ripabottoni records that I am fairly sure Marco is not from there...I don't remember a Marco...but I suppose it could be....

will check the Ripabottoni records to be sure.......

Have a great one.............
Oh yes, are females! sorry I read not all ship's manifest, and I mistaken why is very strange and inusual that the first name of female are in shorth shape! regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

What was your grandmother's brother's name??? The one she lived with before she married???

According-to-a-1930-census-he-immigrated-in-1900...

Hope-I-have-the-correct-census---what-a-family!! in this census it lists him as a widow in 1930...

Would this be correct?. Some of the children are listed as Rose, Louise and David?? The youngest child was Bernard at the age of 5...

Also, I certainly trust Essgee's
that I am fairly sure Marco is not from there..
(Ripabottoni...) and I too doubt that Faicchio is his birthdplace.. more Federico's were born Faicchio.

Here is a driving map of Benevento,Campania and Faicchio,Campania

just-follow-the-purple-lines....the-towns-listed in-the-area-will-help

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... 252bs%253d

Look-forward-to-hearing-from-you... :P
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

In 1920, the family is listed in ED342, page 7B under the name of Michele dePalmo.

He is listed in the 1920 census as arriving in 1896, as is his wife. One thing of note...he has applied for first papers... There should be an application for naturalization which are the first papers in the naturalization process. Called the Declaration of Intent. In 1930 he has applied...so probably sometime between 1925 and 1930---you had to get final papers within 7 years of originial application.

Chances are he got naturalized within a couple years of 1930...check for this paperwork. The Declaration of Intent would probably include the ship he traveled on, the date of entry, an possible where in Italy he came from.

In 1910 there is another DePalma on the same street...this could be a clue to a relative...cousin, uncle....check and see if there is something here with this DePalma.

There are both DePalmas and Dipalmas at Ellis Island. IF the name was Depalma, they are from a different area of Italy, for the most part, then the Dipalma family. Of course, mistakes in spelling happened, but if the original name was DePalma, this is significant to origin.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi EssGee,

Appreciate that you include the census District codes in your posts. Really helps.

1910 United States Federal Census > Connecticut > New Haven > 6-Wd New Haven > District 399 Page19B

Here is the 1910 info...

Marco DePalma on Wallace Street
Here it says Maria (born 1882) immigrated in 1891(she would have been 9 years old)
Marco immigrated 1890 -married for 12 years??(which makes them married in 1898??)..plus the 5 children.

Vincenza DiPalma (a widow) also lived on this street...

The1930 United States Federal Census > Connecticut > New Haven > New Haven > District 78 sheet 15A... Mark Depalma

not too sure if this is the correct family...

Waiting for MLDP98 (Mark) to confirm 1930 Census family..

mfjp
MLDP98

Post by MLDP98 »

Hi mfjp,

In reply to your question regarding my grandmother's brother's name the only info I have came from a woman on another board. She wrote,"PS...
did you notice that Maria was going to meet up with her brother? It appears that his name was Antonio and he was living at 207 1/2 Wales St., N. Haven, Conn., though hard to read and could have been a different street altogether." I didn't see that notation anywhere. So after receiving that e-mail with the "PS." at the end I wrote back and I asked her where did she find that info? But I lost contact with her after that and I never received a reply.But during that entire e-mail she had been refering to things posted in the 1910 census.So I am assuming that is where she found the listing of my grandmother's brother Antonio Federico living with his sister Maria(my grandmother). If you(or anyone else) can locate that listing please post it here so that I can read it for myself.

I only had access to the census records for a two week period last year during a free trial from Ancestry.com and that is how I found out some of the same info that you found(the year of my grandparent's marriage,etc.) and that you previously posted on this forum from the 1910 census. I am going to try to get free online access to the census records(at home) from Heritage Quest this Monday or Tuesday.You have to apply first through your local library and after that you can get access from your home computer. Have you ever tried that before?Then I can also check out the 1930 census records which I have never seen before! :D

You also asked about the names of my grandparent's children.
Yes, theDePalma family that you found listed in the 1930 census IS the correct family. The children's names are as follows:Amedio(Matty),Julia,Maria(Mary),Anna(Annie),Nicolina(Lena/Lina),
Philomena(Phil),Mabel,Rose,Louise,David,Sylvia,Pasquale(Pat) and Bernard(Bennie).Yes, they were quite a large family! :) The names that I listed in parentheses are the nicknames that they were given and that sometimes showed up in the census records. The names are listed in order from the oldest to the youngest child.

You also mentioned that you saw a "Mark DePalma" listed in the 1930 census. I have heard that my grandfather was also called "Mark" or "Marc" for short. So that listing could very well be him. Check to see if his children's names match what I listed above.

I want to thank mfjp and all of the other people who have posted replies here to try and help me find some of the missing pieces in the De Palma family genealogy! I REALLY appreciate ALL of your efforts to help me!

Thank you,
Mark L. De Palma
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

about Marco Michele De Palma relatives;
-Mark say that mother surname was MARSELIA( Maria Angela first name);
-most probable that was MARSILIO (or MARSILIA version);
-are possible, for someone showing the census in New Haven around 1900 /1910 abt Marsilio people?(I'm interested to name father of Dorothy Marsilio born in 1911 and living in New Haven)...
Knowing the italian birthplace of Marsilios emigrated in New Haven ( sure was), well, we will know also italian birthplace(or same birtharea) of Marco Michele DE PALMA...
waiting an reply,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Providing these manifest........may provide clues?........and clear up any confusion on dates. Someone other than myself will have to read them,
I am terrible at reading this old script.... :oops:

Name: Federico,Maria Cappola
Arrival:1899 Age:59
traveling with husband......
Name: Federico, Benedette Giovanni
Arrival: 1899 Age: 60
Destination: son Antonio? in New Haven........

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2965030123

Name: Maria Michela Federico
Arrival: 1898 Age: 16
Destination: brother ? in New Haven.....270 1/2 W..?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2687020296

Name: Tacinelly, Filomena
Arrival: 1923 Age: 54
Name: Federico, Maria Rosa
Arrival: 1923 Age: 15
re-joining husband Francesco Federico in New Haven,
list sister in Italy as Serafina..........

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2915020041

Keep in mind that manifest sometimes cover two pages, and it is neccesary to go a page ahead or a page back.........it appears your grandmother joined her brother Antonio.......and at one point their parents visited? After the manifest has been read by someone with more experience.....details can be summed up.
wldspirit
Jacqueline

Post by Jacqueline »

I am a Depalma on my mother;s side,,,my grandmother was born in Comiziano, near Naples in 1884 ...I do not know if your family and mine are connected but you could check the vital records from this comune. Buona Fortuna
Jacqueline
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi wldspirit, about:

Name: Maria Michela Federico
Arrival: 1898 Age: 16
Destination: brother ? in New Haven.....270 1/2 W..?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2687020296
Well the brother are Antonio FEDERICO..
regards suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH