No birth record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

No birth record?

Post by dominique426 »

I contacted a record retriever about my ggg-gmom, Maria Merenda, and they said there was no birth record for her in the years 1875-1895. This doesn't make sense to me because she was definitely born in Roggiano Gravina and her maiden name was definitely Merenda. Is it possible that she doesn't have a birth record for some reason?
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: No birth record?

Post by Italysearcher »

If the parents, for whatever reason, did not register the birth in the time frame required by law they often did register the birth years later when they realized it hadn't been done. Like, when the child went to school or married for instance. Then they have to go to the Tribunal and do it. The official record is then sent back to the Comune for entry into the register. Usually it was entered in Part II or III of the year it was received. Sometimes, a note was made in the index of the year the child was born, but not always. Your record retriever searched 20 years to cover this possibility. The child may also have been born in another Comune if the family were transient workers or the birth occurred unexpectedly or in hospital in another town. The record was supposed to be sent back to the town of residence but it didn't always happen.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Re: No birth record?

Post by dominique426 »

Italysearcher wrote:If the parents, for whatever reason, did not register the birth in the time frame required by law they often did register the birth years later when they realized it hadn't been done. Like, when the child went to school or married for instance. Then they have to go to the Tribunal and do it. The official record is then sent back to the Comune for entry into the register. Usually it was entered in Part II or III of the year it was received. Sometimes, a note was made in the index of the year the child was born, but not always. Your record retriever searched 20 years to cover this possibility. The child may also have been born in another Comune if the family were transient workers or the birth occurred unexpectedly or in hospital in another town. The record was supposed to be sent back to the town of residence but it didn't always happen.
Thanks for that information- I'm still on the fence about her not having a birth record because he said there was still a chance that she did have a birth record and he hadn't found it yet. I was just curious to the possibility of there not being a birth record for her.

I'm getting the Roggiano Gravina microfilm from the LDS so that should put this to rest! :)
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli