Surname LoConte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ntb137

Surname LoConte

Post by ntb137 »

Hello, is there anyone else with the surname (I assume is the original Italian surname) LoConte. I found my great grandfathers name on the 1900 census, and others later on with the new spelling of Leconte. I'm wondering if anyone else has any luck on the Italian side. I can't seem to find the birth town or the ship that he and his wife came over on. It's either 1890 or 1893 from Naples. Grazie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname LoConte

Post by suanj »

Hi, for good help, you can provide the full name of your ancestor, and other details: birthyear and where he lived in ISA?
Thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ntb137 wrote:Hello, is there anyone else with the surname (I assume is the original Italian surname) LoConte. I found my great grandfathers name on the 1900 census, and others later on with the new spelling of Leconte. I'm wondering if anyone else has any luck on the Italian side. I can't seem to find the birth town or the ship that he and his wife came over on. It's either 1890 or 1893 from Naples. Grazie

As suanji :D above... if you can give us his full name, approx. date of birth, and possibly his wife's name and where they settled in US, we can help with your search!

There are MANY LoConte arrivals to search....

FOR EXAMPLE>>>Could either of these be him - 1893 arrival from port of Naples to New York

Crescenzo Loconte, "United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900"
Name: Crescenzo Loconte
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 19 May 1893

Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Alesia
Birth Year (Estimated): 1867
Departure Port: Naples
Literacy: No
Residence Place: Melito
Destination Place: NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment: Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]

Vincenzo Loconte, "United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900"
Name: Vincenzo Loconte
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 15 May 1893

Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Bolivia
Birth Year (Estimated): 1865
Departure Port: Naples
Literacy: No
Residence Place: Napoli
Destination Place: NEW YORK

T.
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

I have ancestors, from Ariano di Puglia (now Ariano Irpino) who married into Lo Conte family. It is a very common surname in that town.

Donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
emancini

Post by emancini »

The majority of the Lo Conte's were initially from Ariano Irpino, aka Ariano or surrounding towns like Grottaminarda. My great greatgrandmother, Elisabetta Lo Conte (1835-1885) married a Riccio from Grottaminarda. Elisabetta's father, Michelangelo Lo Conte (1798-1862) also lived in Grottaminarda and married Teresa Villani. Many of their relatives lived in Ariano Irpino. In the middle to late 1800's they began to immigrate to the USA, the majority of them settled in Boston, Mass. "little Italy-the North End, & in the NY borough of the Bronx. I suggest you visit an LDS Family History Center near you to research their records to get more information. Call the center nearest you to find out if they have the films on file for either of the above towns. If they don't, you will need to order them on-line through their site www.familysearch.org. Official state civil records for those towns can be ordered and viewed at their centers.
Happy hunting,
E.Mancini