Translation Requested

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Translation Requested

Post by skooter555 »

I have included below a link to my great-great-great grandmother's death record below. If anyone is able to translate and/or answer the questions below it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =118120720
(If this link does not work, you can also get to the image by going to the findagrave website and typing in Ignazia Viscuso).

1)Under the section where it lists the date of death for the individual, what is the word written for day? I have seen this filled in for other records on the same film, and I think that it means "same as above", but I am not sure.

2) Does anyone know why it would not list the parents' names for this individual under the designated section. I was disappointed to find that it did not on this particular record for my ancestor, as now I cannot go back another generation in my Italian lineage. The only thing that it does in fact list is the name Francesco or Francesca in the index at the back of the year. It does not appear to be faded, so I am not sure what to think of it.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation Requested

Post by erudita74 »

skooter555 wrote:I have included below a link to my great-great-great grandmother's death record below. If anyone is able to translate and/or answer the questions below it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =118120720
(If this link does not work, you can also get to the image by going to the findagrave website and typing in Ignazia Viscuso).

1)Under the section where it lists the date of death for the individual, what is the word written for day? I have seen this filled in for other records on the same film, and I think that it means "same as above", but I am not sure.

2) Does anyone know why it would not list the parents' names for this individual under the designated section. I was disappointed to find that it did not on this particular record for my ancestor, as now I cannot go back another generation in my Italian lineage. The only thing that it does in fact list is the name Francesco or Francesca in the index at the back of the year. It does not appear to be faded, so I am not sure what to think of it.
The death did take place on Oct 13, 1843 at 6 P.M. She was 50 years old. The record reads "nel giorno d'oggi del mese di sopra anno corrente"-on the day of today of the month above current year." So this refers back to the date which appears at the top of the record.

In the index, where you see Francesca, that info belongs to the record listed above yours and not to your record.

The informants on this record obviously did not know the names of the deceased's parents which is why that info was not given and recorded. It is unfortunate. What about her marriage record? are you able to locate that record?

Erudita
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Erudita,

Thank you for the translation. I actually have not tried to locate her marriage record yet. I figure that if she was born in around the year 1793 and the records were supposedly started in 1809 for Southern siciliy, then she was 16 at the time the mandated records began. I found an indexed record for one of her sons whom I believe was the first child she had, and it says that he was born in 1808. If that record is indeed correct, then she would have had her firstborn at the age of 15 and most likely would have been married shortly before then. Another possibility could be that Ignazia was not born in the year 1793, but possibly before then as it seems that her having a child at age 15 is rather unlikely. Anyway, it could be a possibility that her marriage record does exist. I would need to write to Italy to obtain that record though as the microfilmed marriage records for Bagheria don't begin until the year 1820.

Thanks again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

skooter555 wrote:Hi Erudita,

Thank you for the translation. I actually have not tried to locate her marriage record yet. I figure that if she was born in around the year 1793 and the records were supposedly started in 1809 for Southern siciliy, then she was 16 at the time the mandated records began. I found an indexed record for one of her sons whom I believe was the first child she had, and it says that he was born in 1808. If that record is indeed correct, then she would have had her firstborn at the age of 15 and most likely would have been married shortly before then. Another possibility could be that Ignazia was not born in the year 1793, but possibly before then as it seems that her having a child at age 15 is rather unlikely. Anyway, it could be a possibility that her marriage record does exist. I would need to write to Italy to obtain that record though as the microfilmed marriage records for Bagheria don't begin until the year 1820.

Thanks again!
You would need church records for the earlier records, so you wouldn't be able to get those by writing to the town. I just can't recall if there are early church records online for this town, as I have not been able to access the Palermo church records on familysearch today.

As to her having a child so early in life, I wouldn't be surprised. I have one Sicilian ancestor who married at age 13 in 1864, had her first child a year later, and then had an additional 11 children over a 30 year period with her last child being born in 1894.

Erudita
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Erudita,

Thank you again for your translation of the death record of my great-great-great grandmother. I just have one more question that I thought of. Do you happen to know what the occupation "facchino" translates to or means? This word can be found under the information about the informant Vincenzo di Matteo in the linked record above.

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

skooter555 wrote:Hi Erudita,

Thank you again for your translation of the death record of my great-great-great grandmother. I just have one more question that I thought of. Do you happen to know what the occupation "facchino" translates to or means? This word can be found under the information about the informant Vincenzo di Matteo in the linked record above.

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke
Tyler

A facchino is a porter in English. Here is a link to various Italian occupations and their English equivalents for future reference-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html

Erudita
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Thank you!