Looking for Cascio Descendants

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Looking for Cascio Descendants

Post by rp76226 »

I am looking for spouses and descendants of my grandmother's brothers and sisters who lived in Polizzi Generosa, Sicily in the late 1800s to the 1900s. The parents were Giuseppe Cascio (16 January 1859 to 2 January 1907) and Lucia Trabunella (13 December 1865 to ?). My grandmother's (Gandolfa 1895-1974) sisters, all stayed in Italy, and their names were Vincenza (b 12 June 1893), Rosaria, and Angela (b 21 December 1889). Her brothers that stayed in Italy were Gandolfo (b 6 September 1891), Gioachino (21 March 1898 - 19 October 1944), Mariano (1 February 1901 - 11 April 1983), and Vincenzo (3 March 1903 - 12 November 1985). Another brother Rosario emigrated to America as did my grandmother and I have most of his descendants.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Cascio Descendants

Post by liviomoreno »

Did you give a look the vital records published by FamilySearch: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1947613
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Yes Livio, that's how I found their birth records. Unfortunately, those records stop before they would have been old enough to marry and have children. I would like to track them and their descendants down to the present day. I know that's only possible if an actual living relative recognized these people as their ancestors and contacted me.
Ron
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

I am also a Cascio descendant, but more distant than what you are looking for. My 5th great grandmother was Lorenza Cascio. Her father was Stefano Cascio. I believe (but am not certain) that he was the great-grandfather of your great-grandfather. I don't know anyone related to me in Polizzi, but there are some Facebook groups worth looking at.

If you are interested in the distant past, I'd be interested if your tree goes back to Stefano Cascio (1747-1820) and Arcangela Ciraulo (1752-1824) like I think. I plan to get a copy of the 1747 census, so I will be able to go even further, and would be happy to share if you are interested.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

None of your Cascio names match mine. The oldest Cascio that I am certain about on my side is Giuseppe Lo Cascio (the "Lo" was dropped later and may be just the Latin version). He was married to Maria Scarpa and they had at least 3 children - Vincenza b 1822, Vincenzo 1828 -1829, and Rosario 1831 -1895 who was married to Arcangela Trabunella 1831 -1910. Giuseppe's father may have been Vincenzo 1755-1823 (per information someone else gave me, but I have no real record to verify).
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

rp76226 wrote:None of your Cascio names match mine. The oldest Cascio that I am certain about on my side is Giuseppe Lo Cascio (the "Lo" was dropped later and may be just the Latin version). He was married to Maria Scarpa and they had at least 3 children - Vincenza b 1822, Vincenzo 1828 -1829, and Rosario 1831 -1895 who was married to Arcangela Trabunella 1831 -1910. Giuseppe's father may have been Vincenzo 1755-1823 (per information someone else gave me, but I have no real record to verify).
Giuseppe Lo Cascio is where I left off trying to find our connection. I found 8 children for him, Stefana (b abt 1811), Stefano, Vincenza, Antonina, Stefana (b 1824), Anna Maria, Vincenzo and Rosario. My 6th great grandfather was Stefano son of Giuseppe, so the naming pattern fits and the ages make sense. An allegeti from Giuseppe's children after Giuseppe's death (Anna Maria 1843 or Rosario 1853) would probably have his death record.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Does your Giuseppe Lo Cascio have Maria Scarpa as his wife? If yes, then we are distantly related. If yes, would you be able to share the birth and other records you have for his children? I would be interested in that and their descendants too. Giuseppe Lo Cascio is my third great grandfather. Maria Scarpa had a sister, Angela. I have communicated to a person whose husband is descended from Angela. She is working on a genealogy website about Polizzi Generosa - http://www.polizzigenealogy.com/
I must admit that Allegati records completely baffle me. There never seems a logical way to review them and without that, there are simply too many records for me to review, especially when not conversant in Italian.
Also, what commune do your relatives come from? You seemed to indicate that it wasn't Polizzi Generosa. I know from his death record, that Giuseppe's son Rosario was born in Polizzi.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

There were several Giuseppe Lo Cascio's - I have 8 different people with this name in my tree program. I am not sure which you mean by 'mine'. If you mean my 7th great grandfather, his wife was listed as Giuseppa Collesano on his son's death record. Based on the pattern of names (everyone named their children after their parents) I'd bet he is the grandfather of the Giuseppe Lo Cascio that married Maria Scarpa. I don't have records with his birth or death dates, but his son Stefano died in 1820, was listed as age 73 and his father was alive at the time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/332 ... /death.jpg

There are 2 different problems with the allegeti records. The first is finding the right record. Everything microfilmed after 1862 is online, but not in any order, so it takes a while to find and a lot of records are missing. I had good luck with FamilySearch's photoduplication finding allegeti before 1862, but never got them to send anything other than the first few pages. My last 2 requests, I haven't heard anything from at all. I'd still encourage you to submit a request for 1843 or 1853 allgeti records I mentioned above. I will probably do so eventually if you don't.

The second problem is reading the allegeti once you find it. Some of the records are in Itallian and some are in Latin, which is intimidating at first, but this is not as hard as it seems. Most of what you care about is names, places and dates, and these are easy to read.

I didn't mean to indicate my relatives don't come from Polizzi. I do have relatives that don't, but most of my genealogy is from the relatives from Polizzi, thanks to the website you mentioned. I can go back just as far in Mirabella Santico, but everyone was a poor farmer born in Mirabella Santico which is not as interesting as the Polizzi records.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

If you find an actual record(s) confirming that your hunch about Giuseppe Lo Cascio and Maria Scarpa is true, please let me know. Also, if you find any records about the Italian spouses and descendants of the children of Giuseppe Cascio and Lucia Trabunella, also please let me know. I have information on the spouses and descendants of their two children (Rosario and Gandolfa) who emigrated to America (one being my grandmother), but not the ones who remained in Italy. I even have pictures of some of those children (my grandmother's siblings) and their children and grandchildren, but no names.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

7 years later, I recently discovered a couple more of my Cascio great grandparents from Polizzi Generosa. They still do not seem to match the ones in other replies to my original post, but perhaps they exist elsewhere in their family trees. The parents of Giuseppe Cascio (abt 1797 to 10 May 1831) who was married to Maria Gandolfa Scarpa (17 November 1798 to 9 February 1839) were:

Vincenzo Cascio and Maria Lo Re

The parents of Vincenzo Cascio were:

Paolo Cascio and Rosaria Farella