Ship's record: illegible entry, please help read

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Ship's record: illegible entry, please help read

Post by BlissIs »

Giuseppa Favara https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JFRG-X4M, for reference, was my daughter's GGM from Castelvetrano. She arrived in NYC 29Jun 1903, heading for a brother, Leonardo Favara in Hoboken, NJ.

After receiving 'non figura in anagrafe' responses from Sicily, I reviewed USA Passenger List document in library yesterday.

And if anyone is willing, please add actual ship's record to this forum, for others to view. I am unable to facilitate. Thank you.

Please see Last line, #480 Favara, Giuseppa and read entry in 5th column from right. Her response to "Ever in prison or almshouse or supported by charity. Is yes, state which." Could be the missing link : )

Many thanks for a wonderful website with gracious members.

Appreciatively,
Blissis

Added data: Occupation: ILLEGIBLE Anyone know what that says?
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Ship's record: illegible entry, please help read

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BlissIs wrote:Giuseppa Favara https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JFRG-X4M, for reference, was my daughter's GGM from Castelvetrano. She arrived in NYC 29Jun 1903, heading for a brother, Leonardo Favara in Hoboken, NJ.

After receiving 'non figura in anagrafe' responses from Sicily, I reviewed USA Passenger List document in library yesterday.

And if anyone is willing, please add actual ship's record to this forum, for others to view. I am unable to facilitate. Thank you.

Please see Last line, #480 Favara, Giuseppa and read entry in 5th column from right. Her response to "Ever in prison or almshouse or supported by charity. Is yes, state which." Could be the missing link : )

Many thanks for a wonderful website with gracious members.

Appreciatively,
Blissis
Is this the one you mean:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

It is very difficult to read. All I can read is "Two years in"? Someone else might be able to see more.

Angela
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Fabulous! Thanks very much, Angela. Appreciate input and image : )
Can you see what it says under Occupation?
I had thought Servant yesterday; Ellis Island lists Peasant.
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BlissIs wrote:Fabulous! Thanks very much, Angela. Appreciate input and image : )
Can you see what it says under Occupation?
I had thought Servant yesterday; Ellis Island lists Peasant.
You are welcome.

I can't read the occupation clearly, it looks like it has been overwritten. It could be either.

I've had another look at your original question and I don't think that it says “yes”. I think it actually says “no” but above the no it looks like it says (“2 years in law)??? Someone else's opinion would be helpful.

My other thought is that we are looking at the “Arrivals”. If someone could bring up the “Departures” this might have more information on it.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree with Angela that it says "no" and not "yes." I am wondering if it says 2 years in U.S. referring to the brother to whom she was going, and not to Giuseppa, although I see he arrived in June of 1902.

Angela-what are you referring to when you say if someone could bring up departures?

Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Right you both are! It does say 'no.' Seems notation may refer to Leonardo. Great! Was wondering how I'd find orphange records in Italy. phew

Occupation looks like 'root' to me now.

PS Did a post this morning seeking departure records. No luck online so far....only found Trieste (EEGS article ), not Palermo.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:I agree with Angela that it says "no" and not "yes." I am wondering if it says 2 years in U.S. referring to the brother to whom she was going, and not to Giuseppa, although I see he arrived in June of 1902.

Angela-what are you referring to when you say if someone could bring up departures?

Erudita
Yes, I also wondered whether the words in brackets related more to the brother.

Re the "departures" - thanks for the question - I was remembering that when I was helping on another thread that Marty and I were coming up with different info and it seemed at the time that it was because he was looking at the "departures" and I was looking at the "arrivals". Now that I have just reread that post it was possibly that we were just looking at different pages of the manifest? http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... ls#p204261

At the time I assumed that he was possibly going through Ancestry.com and I was going through Family Search and following the link to Ellis Island. I don't subscribe to Ancestry.com and so not so familiar with that site. (I hope I haven't sent BlissIs on a "wild goose chase" here looking for the departures :oops: .)

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
From what I have read, the passenger lists were comprised by the steamship companies abroad, and not here in the U.S., so to me that would mean that a so-called "departure list," if there was even such a thing, would be identical to what we see as the passenger list. I am not aware of there being any other kind of list.

Also, there are definitely no passenger lists from the U.S. to Italy-just to reiterate this info, although it doesn't apply to this discussion.

BTW, I also do not currently have a subscription to ancestry.com. Haven't had one in many many years.

Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks, Angela and Erudita. Apparently I need to look for Ship's Manifest. And, it may turn out to be a wild goose chase...hahaha. I'm Willing.

The Hamburg Departure list, written in German, not the Passenger List, was the only clue I had found to locate a German GGF. The German document had listed his 'last residence' when the Passenger List had not.

This is my first foray into Italian ancestry so I don't know what documents they made or kept. Am not ancestry member either and your link to Adelfio's image was first time I've seen that particular document.

Still hoopeful a member has data on transit records made in Palermo.
Many thanks,
BlissIs
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BlissIs wrote:Right you both are! It does say 'no.' Seems notation may refer to Leonardo. Great! Was wondering how I'd find orphange records in Italy. phew

PS Did a post this morning seeking departure records. No luck online so far....only found Trieste (EEGS article ), not Palermo.
I think what has happened is they mistakenly wrote "servant" in the first instance and then went back and wrote over it the word "none". They did the same with the 17 year old just a few lines above Giuseppa.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BlissIs wrote:Thanks, Angela and Erudita. Apparently I need to look for Ship's Manifest. And, it may turn out to be a wild goose chase...hahaha. I'm Willing.
Many thanks,
BlissIs
Good on you BlissIs - I'd be the same :)

Erudita: Thank you for the clarification above :)

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're both very welcome.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
BlissIs wrote:Right you both are! It does say 'no.' Seems notation may refer to Leonardo. Great! Was wondering how I'd find orphange records in Italy. phew

I think what has happened is they mistakenly wrote "servant" in the first instance and then went back and wrote over it the word "non". They did the same with the 17 year old just a few lines above Giuseppa.

Angela
I've just edited my post here. I was a little preoccupied and somewhat confused with the terms Ship Manifests/Departure/Arrival Lists etc when I wrote this earlier and should have put "non" not "none" - although probably means the same anyway - no occupation or unknown - I guess. Angela
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Right on, Angela!
I can see clearly now : )
So appreciate the love on this site.
I salute every member and the founders, facilitators...
Love is all there is.....
BlissIs