I'm kind of stuck. Lacking consistent info....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ztnjpv

I'm kind of stuck. Lacking consistent info....

Post by ztnjpv »

Hi. I'm new to the forum. After lots of research and success with Family Search on my tree, I'm reaching difficulties.

The trouble starts with Sebastiano Valerio of Monreale, Palermo, Italy he is the father of Salvatore Valerio (1793-1889)..born Filippo Geronimo Salvatore. Sebastiano is named with wife in baptisms of many children through 1790s and early 1800s and in wedding of Salvatore in 1819. I have his marriage in 1791 to Saveria Cammarata. His parents named in the marriage entry are (the late) Tomaso (sp) and Lorenza. He is mentioned in Saveria's death entry in 1822 in a manner that suggests he is still alive. But then, no luck finding his death yet into the 1850's. On the younger side, I cannot find a baptism but I did find a confirmation in 1778 at age 9. Problem there is that the parent names are (the late) Mr'o Girolamo and Nunzia. I found Mr'o Girolamo's death in 1774 at age 60. No mention of wife. But parents are named. No baptisms for anyone older than Sebastiano. I also found a Catarina Valerio confirmed in 1778 (parents Mr'o Girolamo and Brigida) who was godmother to Sebastiano's first son in 1792. More confusion with constant shifting of parent names! No baptism for her either. I don't want to write a book here so I'll wind down now.

Being that the last name is quite rare in this town at this time (alternate spelling of Alerio---NOT Alario---turned up nothing as well and generally did not start appearing until later on in the 1800s), it's hard to believe it's all different people but who knows...

The only true lead to another town is in Mr'o Girolamo's death. It says he is from what appears to be San Margherita (AG) or (ME)??. It's seems written as Sa Margta.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This impasse is quite frustrating.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: I'm kind of stuck. Lacking consistent info....

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Ok lets start with Filippo Geronimo Salvatore Valerio baptism record for a base point
1793 Oct 15th in Monreale church of Santa Maria Nuova parents are Sebastiano Valerio and Saveria Valerio
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351587801

Marriage record of Sebastiano Valerio and Saveria Cammarata
1791 Sept 24th in Monreale church of Santa Maria Nuova Sebastiano Valerio son of deceased Tommaso Valerio and Lorenza Valerio

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351253601

I went through the early indexes Indice (Battesimi) 1744-1796 Indice (Battesimi) 1676-1743 didn't even see the surname Valerio searching for Sebastiano baptism record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ztnjpv

Re: I'm kind of stuck. Lacking consistent info....

Post by ztnjpv »

Hi Adelfio. Thanks for the response.

Yes. As I said in my original post, I cannot find a baptism for Sebastiano under any spelling (Valerio, Alerio or even a correct match on Alario). I did, however, find a confirmation in 1778. Problem is that the parental names change but the age is perfect for the guy I am looking for which is really puzzling. I have browsed through neighboring towns and found nothing.

The problem I have with Tommaso is that Sebastiano's kids' names suggest that Girolamo could be the correct name. There are 4 instances of Girolamo being used for Seb's first born son: (15Aug 1792...then died), (3Oct 1796), (26May 1801) and then again (29 Sep 1810). That's determination.

I actually found one of my great-great grandfathers by not trusting the listed first name. His baptism showed that his middle name was the name he went by later on. Salvatore, mentioned above, is another case of this.