How to find people who may have gone back to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

How to find people who may have gone back to Italy

Post by brenta »

Once again I am hoping someone can help me. I have a few relatives who came to London that seem to disapear once I get to the mid 30's. I am wondering if they went back to Italy and died there. I can find their spouses and other family members buried here in one cemetery but not them.

I am looking for
Adele Antonia Fasano NEE Brenta DOB ABT 1869
Camilla Maria Battista NEE Brenta DOB ABT 1872

Is there such a thing as a Italian census that I could track down to see if they did move back there who they were living with etc?

Thank you so much.

Kate
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: How to find people who may have gone back to Italy

Post by Italysearcher »

There isn't a census of the kind you are looking for. There was a census in 1936 but it was simply stamped on the person's record card that they lived in the town in that year. If you know the town you could write and ask if these people are included in their 1936 census.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Thank you Ann that's a good idea. Do you know if I would be able to find death records for people who may have died in the 1930's in Italy or will those records not be available to view yet?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Generally speaking, there are no national or state records in Italy as you would find in the US. Everything is maintained at the local comune level. If you know where in Italy they might have returned to, research could be undertaken.

Are you familiar with the http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ website? It can be difficult to use, but I see an entry for "Marta" Camilla Brenta in marriages for March 1903 and for Adele Brenta in June, 1897. Also, the birth of Adele (Brenta) Fasano in December, 1911.

There are several other curious records there as well. Suggestion: when using this site, search only on the surnames and select All Types, All Districts, and All Counties before clicking the Find button.

Also, be sure to try variations of the surname spelling. Battisto turns up some interesting hits, for example.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Do you have any thoughts on whether Giovanni Battista who died at Holborn in June, 1931 at age 61 is the same Giovanni Battista who married Marta Camilla Brenta at Westminster (just a few miles away) in March, 1903?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Thank you Carmine that's brilliant. I've not come across that site before. I have mainly been using Ancestry so far which is good but I'm sure I should be trying elsewhere too.

Yes that Giovanni is definitely Camilla's husband which is why I am a bit perplexed as he is buried in London in the same cemetery as her brother in Law, brother and mother but I can find no record of either Camilla or Adele there. That's not to say they aren't there as the cemetery is missing some records and there is a mysterious body in with my GG grandfather who we have no idea about. Don't think it is either of the women though as the cemetery think that they were buried either before or at the same time. It's all very confusing as they all have the same names!