birthmom

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lookingformom

birthmom

Post by lookingformom »

I am adopted. I was told my real last name is Bortel. I was told my mom has italian/french heritage. I was born in central ohio. I seriously do not know the concrete stuff. I do not know who or whete they are from. The agency did not give important info. They went out of business
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Re: birthmom

Post by jkingb »

Maybe you can try a DNA test with a company such as 23andMe - results will provide you with a list of people related to you (genetically). Many have found close biological relatives that way.

https://www.23andme.com
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Re: birthmom

Post by Josie07M11 »

I agree in attempting dna tests like 23andMe. This is probably your best chance. Other things you can do:

1. Search the white pages for the name "Bortel" in central ohio. I did a quick search for Bortel's in Ohio and there were quite a few listings. It would be tedious, and I would use caution, but you could try to make contact with these people to find out if any of them know of an adoption in their family.

2. FamilySearch and Ellis Island websites. These won't be as useful to you as the above options because the records are limited to the early 1900s. But you can find out where people with the name Bortel came from in Ohio and perhaps trace one of these names forward.

3. Look for other people searching for the name "Bortel" as their ancestral lines. Check Ancestry.com and other genealogy websites. Do google searches. They may know information about their more immediate relatives who may have some useful information.

I hope this is helpful. I am very sorry that the agency went out of business and left you with no information. I'm sure there are others on this message board who will have advice for you too.

Good luck!