I think it is now the Cattani family of Nozzano Lucca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
shirl

I think it is now the Cattani family of Nozzano Lucca

Post by shirl »

As I have corrected my post which was looking for any information on the Cattani family of Mozzano, (see below), I see the beautiful script is an N and not an M! These are the little things that make us family researchers totally excited and totally frustrated at the hours and hours looking at the wrong stuff! Hope I can now make some progress, and would be grateful for any details of information!
Thank you
Shirley
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: I think it is now the Cattani family of Nozzano Lucca

Post by suanj »

It are 3 hamleths in Lucca town having Nozzano name:
Nozzano Vecchio,
Nozzano Castello,
Nozzano San Pietro
However it are no civil records .. they starting from 1866...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
shirl

Post by shirl »

Thank you for your reply, this is much appreciated.
The way I found Antonio's name was the marriage and births of his children registered in Alexandria Egypt. So, I am not sure now how to go about finding who his parents and family were in Nozzano. From your information I understand that even if I went to Nozzano, I would not find civil records before 1866, Do you think there are names in cemeteries? I am wondering if Antonio Cattani di Stefano di Nozzano Lucca is from a church in the area? Or could the Stefano be a name from another family?
With kind regards
Shirley
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you post the document you have for it could be Antonio Cattani son of Stefano of the town frazione (suburb)Nozzano town of Lucca so the civil records would be in Lucca

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
shirl

Post by shirl »

Marty, that is a real technical challenge for me! While I think of how to do that, I will write what it says:
Cattani Antonio di Stefano di Nozzano, frazione di Lucca, nato il 22 Gennaijo (sp) 1838, marito
Massari (Maria) Itala Libera Severa di Antonio nata in Parma il di 18 Decembre 1857, moglie

Then the children were listed with the name Maria with all the girls names except one. (I am thinking this is their saint's name). All the children have Cattani as their surnames, there is no mention of Stefano anywhere else.
Regards
Shirley
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
abt the cemetery.. I don't think you can find the tomb of Stefano...
If Antonio married in Italy or Egypt maybe you can find the registration marriage also in Lucca civil records (Nozzano);
in the civil records you maybe can find also the Stefano death record...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
shirl

Post by shirl »

thank you for your replies
Do you by any chance think this Stefano could be his father?
So it is Cattani Antonio, son of Stefano Cattani of Nozzano Lucca?
If this is a possibility, I cannot believe I have been looking at it all these years!
I wait in anticipation!
With kind regards
Shirley
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Cattani Antonio di Stefano di Nozzano, frazione di Lucca, nato il 22 Gennaijo (sp) 1838, marito
Massari (Maria) Itala Libera Severa di Antonio nata in Parma il di 18 Decembre 1857, moglie
from the infos that you provided, no doubts abt:
CATTANI Antonio son of Stefano (Cattani) of Nozzano, Lucca hamlet, born on 22 Jan 1838-husband
MASSARI (Maria ) Itala Libera Severa daughter of Antonio, born in Parma on 18 Dec 1857-wife
because the infos was in italian language most probably you found it on a italian certificate...
maybe they married in Italy before of to go in Egypt... it is so?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
shirl

Post by shirl »

I cannot believe this! How can I not have realised this!
This is the difference of researching all the british, australian, and military puzzles I have undertaken, now is the time to find the Italian family, and I have not understood this!

Antonio Cattani married in Alexandria in 1874, and the first child born a year later.
So he left Italy sometime before then, from my reading I am presuming he left at the time of the Italian Diaspora, when so many left to find life in other countries.
Now I have the name of my great grandfather x 2, and I can bring all the ancestors to the correct hamlet in September. However, I have more work now.
Thank you again, if we were near I would bring you a glass of champagne
With kind regards
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

It could be possible that the marriage in Egypt in 1874 was transcribed for the registration also in Lucca or Parma ..
the marriage transcription and registration in birth communes of spouses, it was and it is very important because just by this way the marriage have validity also in Italy..

maybe you can search in Lucca marriage records (in the last part of marriage registry, because is a marriage performed in foreign country) from 1874 to 1884 ( or more).. maybe you will have luck and to find some other info...
regards,

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Antonio Cattani and Itala Massari recorded in Nozzano Lucca
INDEX#425
1873 5th of Feb in Alexandria Egypt marriage of Antonio Cattani age 34 born in Nozzano son of Stefano Cattani and Rosa Pardi married to Itala Massa age 15 born in Parma daughter of Antonio Massari and Celestora Marcucci??
CLICK ON IMAGE
record-image (312).jpg
PG 2
record-image (313).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Great find Marty!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great work by you Suanj
Besides the marriage of Antonio Cattani and Itala Massari heres the death record of Stefano Cattani (father of Antonio Cattani)
INDEX#40
1877 Jan 29th in the town of Nozzano,Lucca death of Stefano Cattani age 70(abt 1807) bricklayer born in Nozzano son of deceased Domenico Cattani and Lucrezia Ricci husband of Rosa Pardi
CLICK ON IMAGE
record-image (314).jpg
PG 2
record-image (315).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
shirl

Post by shirl »

I have woken in Australia to find the news of my grandmother's family - I am so grateful to you both. I know you understand the responsibility and faith given by the members of a family (and I mean those here today and those gone) to find them and their stories. Bless you both.
It also means I don't make the terrible mistake of taking them to the medieval bridge at Mozzano instead of a castle in Nozzano! I hope to plan a visit to the Paolo Cresci Museum, which I understand tells the story of the Italian people who left their homeland for another country, to make new lives.
Thank you again
Kind regards
Shirley
shirl

Post by shirl »

Thank you Marty for transcribing the information on the pages, it is truly a beautiful script, but extremely difficult to read, let alone translate into English. I am going through it slowly, to try and get a feel and understanding of the documents.
Thank you again for the generosity you and Suanj have so freely given
With regards
Shirley