In search of information on Paone from Siracusa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CJReschkeIII

In search of information on Paone from Siracusa

Post by CJReschkeIII »

I've recently begun looking into my family history but I've seemed to hit a road block while researching the maternal side of my father's family (my great-grandparents). Here is what I know about them so far:
  • My great-grandfather's name was Joseph Paone and was born around 1893
    My great-grandmother's name was Martha Paone and was born around 1898
    They were both from Siracusa, Sicily
    My great-grandfather fought in WWI for the Italian Army
    In 1915 they emigrated to the United States
    They settled Syracuse, New York and had four children - Anthony, Ramona (Mona), Lauritana (Rita; my grandmother) and Nick
    They supposedly came over on the same boat as another Paone family (Dominic and Rose) who settled in Cazenovia, New York
I have some more information about their life in New York but I'm not sure if that would be helpful. If anyone has any information please let me know.

I appreciate all those who have taken the time to read this to see if they can help!

Best Regards,
CJR
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: In search of information on Paone from Siracusa

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Is this your Giuseppe Paone (son of Nicolina Duca) and his wife Mattia Morabito both born in Monforte Italy line# 25 and 26 going to Syracuse, New York

PG 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

PG 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

CJReschkeIII wrote:I've recently begun looking into my family history but I've seemed to hit a road block while researching the maternal side of my father's family (my great-grandparents). Here is what I know about them so far:
    They settled Syracuse, New York and had four children - Anthony, Ramona (Mona), Lauritana (Rita; my grandmother) and Nick
    They supposedly came over on the same boat as another Paone family (Dominic and Rose) who settled in Cazenovia, New York
I have some more information about their life in New York but I'm not sure if that would be helpful. If anyone has any information please let me know.

I appreciate all those who have taken the time to read this to see if they can help!

Best Regards,
CJR
Welcome to the forum, CJR! :-)

According to the 1930 US Census, Joseph and Martha immigrated in 1924.
This may have been a SECOND trip for Giuseppe/Joseph ---
Here is an arrival manifest for 1924
Giuseppe Paone, age 31, laborer, married.
Leaving mother Nicolina in Monforte (could be Monforte San Giorgio in Messina)
Destination - Syracuse, NY

Given Name: Giuseppe
Surname: Paone
Last Place of Residence: Syracuse, N. Y.
Event Date: 02 Mar 1924
Nationality: Italy-Italian S.
Departure Port: Naples
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: M
Citizenship Status:
Ship Name: Colombo

Line 25
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 570560.TIF

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Marty!

I was on the same path! Great minds...

T.
CJReschkeIII

Post by CJReschkeIII »

Wow, this is great! My father confirmed that the maiden name was Morabito for my great grandmother (he wasn't 100% sure before but thought it was).

This is truly amazing! Great big thanks to adelfio and tessa!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

CJReschkeIII wrote:Wow, this is great! My father confirmed that the maiden name was Morabito for my great grandmother (he wasn't 100% sure before but thought it was).

This is truly amazing! Great big thanks to adelfio and tessa!
Glad to help! :-)

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found Giuseppe Pavone(misspelled Paone) birth record
INDEX#106
1892 Sept 13th in the town of Monforte San Giorgio birth of Giuseppe Pavone son of Antonino Pavone age 29 farmer and his wife Nicolina Duca
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (329).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Antonino Pavone
INDEX#19
1867 Feb 8th in the town of Monforte San Giorgio birth of Antonino Pavone son of Mariano Pavone age 37(son of deceased Francesco Pavone) and Giuseppa Catanese (daughter of deceased Giuseppe Catanese
CLICK ON IMAGE
record-image (330).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
CJReschkeIII

Post by CJReschkeIII »

adelfio, this is unbelievable and beyond what I could of hoped or imagined! Question for you on Pavone vs. Paone, could Paone be the misspelling or the "Americanized" version? Guess I'm curious to why the differences.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

CJReschkeIII wrote:adelfio, this is unbelievable and beyond what I could of hoped or imagined! Question for you on Pavone vs. Paone, could Paone be the misspelling or the "Americanized" version? Guess I'm curious to why the differences.
The name is PAVONE as you can see from the Italian documents.
It is a puzzle to know when the name was changed, but that usually happened AFTER arrival in US, with US documents and records having the misspelling, or "americanizaion"...
BUT... you can see that it is spelled PAONE on the ship manifest, and these were usually taken directly from the Italian passport :?
I was also searching the records in Monforte San Giorgio, and I can say that there were a number of PAVONE listings, but PAONE was scarce.
As you locate more records, a pattern may appear that helps to explain the spelling change.
But as you can see from the records Marty :D has posted, it is clearly spelled Pavone.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

CJReschkeIII wrote:I've recently begun looking into my family history but I've seemed to hit a road block while researching the maternal side of my father's family (my great-grandparents). Here is what I know about them so far:

Best Regards,
CJR

Here is a POSSIBLE arrival (maybe a first trip) for a Domenico Pavone from Monforte
Arriving NY in 1912 - His occupation was listed as shoemaker
Leaving father, Giovanni, in Monforte
Destination, Uncle Salvatore Pavone, Mulberry St., NY
There was a group of passengers from Monforte on the page

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Domenico Pavone

Name: Domenico Pavone
Arrival Date: 7 Nov 1912
Birth Date: abt 1892
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: maeporte [Monforte]
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Moltke
Search Ship Database: Search the Moltke in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

HOWEVER... If this is your Domenico Paone family in East Syracuse (DeWitt Township) in 1930 US Census... His first son, Thomas, was born in 1912 in NEW YORK - That would mean that Domenico and Rosa arrived before or in early 1912 :-)
Take a look -

1930 United States Federal Census about Domonick Paone
Name: Domonick Paone
Birth Year: abt 1891
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: East Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Map of Home: View Map
Marital Status: Widowed
Immigration Year: 1904
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members:
Name Age
Domonick Paone 39
Thomas Paone 18
James Paone 16
Pilomena Paone 15
Carmella Paone 13
Rose Paone 11

SAME family in 1915 New York State Census :-)
Name listed as PAONA -
Their oldest child, Mary, is age 6 and born in USA making arrival before 1909 :-)

New York, State Census, 1915 about Thomas Paona
Name: Thomas Paona
Birth Year: abt 1911
Birth Place: United States
Residence Place: Volney Ward 01, Oswego
Relationship: Son
Color or Race: White
Assembly District: 01
House Number: 48
Line Number: 5
Page Number: 04
Household Members:
Name Age
Donenico Paona 28
Rose Paona 32
Mary Paona 6
Thomas Paona 4
James Paona 2
Filonena Paona 3/12

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Domenico Pavone
INDEX#89
1892 July 21 in the town of Monforte San Giorgio birth of Domenico Pavone son of Giovanni Pavone age 35 and Concetta Maso??

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (331).jpg
Marty

Marty
CJReschkeIII

Post by CJReschkeIII »

Pretty sure that is the same family. I'm guessing that the Rose that was in my cousins class way back in the day would be Domenico and Rose's granddaughter much my cousin was Guiseppe and Mattia's grandson.

Again, I am so grateful to you guys for this stuff. Unfortunately my grandmother (Guiseppe's daughter) passed before I was born and then when my Aunt passed (Guiseppe's other daughter) passed when I was 10, we lost contact with this side of the family. It has been such a great feeling seeing this information. My family and I are truly grateful!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I did some looking trying to figure out the name change of Paone/Pavone.Looks like Giuseppe came over in 1911 using the name Giuseppe Pavone leaving his mother Nicolina in Monforte San Giorgio line#15
PG #1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

PG#2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think you should sent for the marriage act of Giuseppe Pavone e Mattia Morabito to verify where Mattia was born I have searched no luck in Monforte San Giorgio

UFFICIO ANAGRAFE
Comune di Monforte San Giorgio
Via Immacolata
98041 Monforte San Giorgio ME
Italy

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di matrimonio o l’estratto completo dell’atto di matrimonio di Giuseppe Pavone e Mattia Morabito

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

Mi chiamo YOUR NAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Monforte San Giorgio. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di matrimoni di queste persone:
Nome e cognome del marito: Giuseppe Pavone di Antonino Pavone e Nicolina Duca
Nome e cognome della moglie: Mattia Morabito
Luogo di matrimonio: Monforte San Giorgio
Data di matrimonio: 1922-1924
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti
NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID
Marty

Marty