Researching family from Istria.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AndyD

Researching family from Istria.

Post by AndyD »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows information about researching family from Istria.
My grandparents’ families are from Pirano (Piran) and Pisino (Pazin), and most of them moved to Trieste after WWII. I've tried looking for information in Family Search, but most of the dates don’t match and there are a lot of things that I haven’t been able to find, such as birth records.

I've been thinking about contacting one of the State Archives, but I don’t know where to start, because Istria is no longer part of Italy. In particular, Pirano is now part of Slovenia and Pisino is now part of Croatia. Still, for the years that I’m hoping to research (before 1940), Istria was part of the Republic of Venice, then the Austro-Hungarian Empire and then Italy (as Provincia di Pola).
Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
AndyD

Re: Researching family from Istria.

Post by AndyD »

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it!

Yes, I've been researching using these records:
- Italy, Pola and Trieste, Catholic Church Records, 1593-1941.
- Italy, Trieste, Trieste, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1924-1939.
- Croatia, Church Books, 1516-1949.

Last week I found some marriage records in them, one from my grandmother's side and a few from my grandfather's side, but they were for brothers and sisters (i.e. my aunts and uncles) and not my direct ancestors.
I've also searched the Gazzetta Ufficiale del Regno d'Italia for name changes (my maternal grandmother's family had to naturalise their surname after WWI), but most of the information in the articles were things that I already knew, such as birth dates and sibling names.

I was hoping to find:
- My paternal grandfather's birth record (I have the date, but I can't find the record) and information about his parents (e.g. birth, marriage and death).
- My paternal grandmother's birth record (I have the date for this as well), and information about her parents.
- Any of my maternal grandfather's records, as I know the dates of his birth and death and the names of his parents, but I don't know if he had any siblings, where his family came from, information about his parents, etc.
- My maternal great-grandparent's records, and their parents (I have names, but that's all).
- After this, I wanted to try to keep tracing the lineage back.

Do you know anywhere else I could look?

Thanks again.