Military records - what age?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Military records - what age?

Post by weixiehong »

Thank you Marty! For the life of me I could not read the handwriting there! I could make out Utica but a brother Giovanni is new to me!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I was having a hard time making out the name; I suppose it could be Giovanni.

I am still having a hard time locating a WWI or WWII draft registration card for either brother. I find this quite bothersome. :(
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Its just a hunch but you know what the surnames Cherubino and Rocco is very popular in the town of Siderno (RC) I would try for his birth act there. Try the email first it maybe you will get lucky
STATO CIVILE
Comune di Siderno
Piazza V. Veneto
89048 Siderno (RC)
Italia

email:statocivile@comune.siderno.rc.it

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Vincenzo Cherubino di Francesco

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Siderno. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome :Vincenzo Cherubino
Nome e cognome del padre:Francesco Cherubino
Nome e cognome della madre:Rosa Rocco
Luogo di nascita: Siderno
Data di nascita:1885-1886
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

Thanks Marty for the advice and the template! I have actually checked in Siderno and there are no records of him.

Is it possible they could have been lost/destroyed?

Carmine, I don't think he went back to Italy or left the US until he got his citizenship in the mid-50s. So I'm puzzled as well as to why there are no military records of him in the US.

He is in the 1925 NY Census under the name Vincent Cherubino by the way.

Thank you all again! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

weixiehong wrote:...
Carmine, I don't think he went back to Italy or left the US until he got his citizenship in the mid-50s. So I'm puzzled as well as to why there are no military records of him in the US.
Ugh! He naturalized?? Both his declaration of intent and petition for naturalization should list his place of birth (and lots of other good stuff as well!)

Aw, geez... Hold on a second...

The Westchester County Archives has his naturalization papers! Go to this page http://recordcenter.westchestergov.com/ ... earch.aspx and enter cherubino in the search box and there he is, CHERUBINO, VINCENZO, year 1955! Use the link on the same page to order copies of the documents. Westchester County Archives is where I eventually found naturalization documents for both my grandfathers who lived in Harrison and Mamaroneck at the time. The service is quick, painless, and not very expensive.

Be sure to come back and tell us how you make out!

PS: The Archives is located in Elmsford; if you are nearby, you can get walk-in service (call first though).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

Haha! Yes Carmine. I have the naturalization papers on order. I did not know that they would say where he was actually born! (I figured it would say "Italy" or something vague and inaccurate like that). 10 years ago I could have made the trip to Elmsford in person but I live in China of all places now! So when I get the papers I will let you know.

Thank you again for all your help everyone!
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

Hi again everyone! I found him! Never underestimate the power of asking your grandmother to look into her old papers :)

Marty, your hunch WAS correct. He was in fact from Siderno! I found my great-grandfather's naturalization papers and his marriage liscence. The problem was his birthdate and the spellings of his parents' names are not consistent (Racco vs. Rocco and Cherubino vs. Cherubini), and I guess that's why the people in Siderno just came back with the "We don't see anything" response.

But giving more details and probing more they found it (with a different birthday than is on his US social security death index).

So I did it! Thanks to you all for all the help. Now I can pinpoint exactly where my ancestors are from. Really appreciate it.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I kinda thought that the town of Siderno was correct
What was his date of birth on his naturalization record? I would used the Family History Library films Registri dello stato civile di Siderno (Reggio di Calabria), 1809-1910 to find his birth act and look for it myself and get the parents info
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

His birthdate on what seems to be all the US records I find is listed as July 5, 1886. But Siderno says his birth cert. has it as July 29, 1886.

How does one use the link you give there? Is it a microfilm that I would need to be in Utah to see? I ask that only becasue I live in China! Forgive my ignorance :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Ordering films from Family History Library
PG LINK FOR ORDERING
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center
FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY LOCATIONS
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Film you would need is Nati (births)1886 Family History Library International Film #1800786

Marty

Marty
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

Thanks so much. I will definitely do this. You guys are a really great community.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marty
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

Hong Kong - so not really China :)

But I know exactly where that is! Thank you again.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Huānyíng nín

Marty

Marty
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by weixiehong »

謝謝 :)