Cantore family in New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
badbatsmoru

Cantore family in New York

Post by badbatsmoru »

I'm having the hardest time finding any information on my great-grandfather, Anthony Cantore. He is listed in the (Jan. 2) 1920 US Federal Census for Manhattan, NYC as "age 30.... immigrated 1897.....born in Italy...." He was probably born in 1889 and is said to have died around 1922.

His wife was Mary Cantore (née DeLaurentis) b: circa 1895.

His children were Anthony Cantore, b: circa 1915, d: 23 Aug 1925 and
Louis Harold Cantore (my grandfather), b: 20 Dec 1918, d: 13 Mar 1995.

I can't find anything on the ellis island site for his immigration and he's not listed in the deaths on the italiangen.org site. I would like to look at records from the 1925 NYC Census, but can't find anything online.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Cantore family in New York

Post by VaDeb »

Let's start with the census of 1920, NY, Manhattan, Dist 179
The family begins on line 1.

http://img228.echo.cx/img228/7122/anthony19208ch.jpg

Let's assume the information on the census is correct.
Anthony is listed as AL with an immigration date of 1897
Mary is listed as AL with a birthplace of NY. In 1920 women derived their citizenship status from their father or husband. Thus Mary was a US citizen by birth (born in NY), but became an alien as a result of her marriage.

1. Have you tried searching for her on the 1910 census? Do you know the name of her parents?

2. Do you know that Anthony came in through Ellis Island? Is it possible he came through another port? Philadelphia or Boston perhaps?

Debbie
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Debbie,

Thank you for the census page! Really great!

I haven't searched the 1910 Census. Quite frankly, I don't know how/where to go.

You're right, I don't know that he came through via Ellis Island. I'll have to see what I can find on Boston or Philidelphia.

Mary Cantore's mother was Carmela DeLaurentis (maiden name unknown). I don't know her father's name.

Thanks again. :D
Laura
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

There're two Antonio Cantore listed in the Ellis Island site who immigrated in 1897. One (aged 3) is probably an error, because he's listed under his mother who is (Italian use) under her maiden name, Cantore. So he has become Antonio Cantore while I believe his name was Antonio Scimone.
The other one seems to fit well, because his profession is coach-man, and in 1920 census is "machinist". If that was a translation from italian then "macchinista" is someone who drives a train, tramway or something like that.
The only big problem is that he is 10 years older than expected (not easy to solve). He could have cheated to enter the US more easily? Ten years is a bit too much, in my opinion.
Good luck!
Marco, Milano, Italia
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Grazie, Marco

I didn't know that "macchinista" mean train driver.

I am, hopefully, getting some information from the 1900 and 1910 Federal Censuses soon. Maybe then I could find out Anthony Cantore's parents and Mary DeLaurentis' father.

:D
Laura
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Laura,
The 1900 index at ancestry.com is an every person index. The 1910 is a head of household index.

I did some searching in the 1900 census and could not find Carmela or Mary/Maria DeLaurentis (or any spelling close to that).

The ports for Boston and Philadelphia are also available at ancesty.com. If you don't want to sign up for a subscription, you can use it at a FAmily History Center of the LDS church and alot of libraries.

Debbie