Searching for Info About Francesco Cigliano - Forio d'Ischia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Searching for Info About Francesco Cigliano - Forio d'Ischia

Post by siskojnash »

I'm trying to find out about Francesco Cigliano and his wife, Maria Giuseppa Carneglia. His father's name was Nicola Cigliano. I know of two children: Rosa Cigliano, who was born abt 1858 in Forio d'Ischia, and was married to Antonio Balsofiore, who was born on February 20, 1864 in Forio. I have their marriage record, and his birth record, but don't have hers.
The other child I know about is Anna Maria Cigliano, who was born in May 1862 in Forio d'Ischia. I have her birth record. She was married to Francesco Paolo Matarese. His parents were Lorenzo Matarese and Carolina D'Ambra. I have his marriage record, but not the birth record for Francesco. I don't know if there are publication records. I would also like to find out about the Matarese and D'Ambra families, if possible. I already know a bit about the Balsofiore one.

Here are the records I have:
December 27, 1891 - Francesco Paolo Matarese and Anna Maria Cigliano Marriage - Family.jpg
May 1862 - Anna Maria Cigliano - Family.jpg
May 10, 1885 Antonio Balsofiore and Rosaria Cigliano Marriage Record.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Re: Searching for Info About Francesco Cigliano - Forio d'Is

Post by siskojnash »

I just came across a sister for Francesco Paolo Matarese named Carmela Matarese. She was born on July 8, 1862 in Forio. Here is the birth record for her:
July 8, 1862 - Carmela Matarese - Family.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I just found the birth record for Francesco Paolo Matarese. I was surprised to find out that he was born in February 1868. It also mentions the marriage to Anna Maria Cigliano.

Here is the birth record:
February 1868 - Francesco Paolo Matarese.jpg
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Does anyone have any ideas about this family?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Birth record of Rosaria Cigliano:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... D:47218401

#133 Oct 5th, 1857 at 9pm
Rosaria Cigliano, born same day at 6pm
Father: Francesco, 26 yo, son of Nicola, labourer, living in Strada San Giovanni
Mother: Maria Giuseppa Carneglia, 23 yo
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Marriage record of Francesco and Maria Giuseppa Carneglia:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... X:47165501

#28 Dec 27th, 1856 at 5pm
Groom: Francesco Cigliano, 26 yo, peasant, born in Forio, living in Strada San Francesco, son of Nicola, peasant, and Rosaria Trofa (?)
Bride: Maria Giuseppa Carneglia, 23 yo, living in Strada San Giovanni, daughter of Luigi, sailor, and Rachele Castaldi

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you! Is that town the family lived in near Forio?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

No, those are the streets ("strada" = "street")

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pippo he will understand if you explain that in Italy a collection of houses which we call a hamlet in the USA is best described as a 711 store, gas station and a collection of houses along a road with administration, records and government services provided by the nearest Comune. Peter
~Peter~
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PeterTimber wrote:Pippo he will understand if you explain that in Italy a collection of houses which we call a hamlet in the USA is best described as a 711 store, gas station and a collection of houses along a road with administration, records and government services provided by the nearest Comune. Peter
Peter, while I am always interested to read what you write and I appreciate and value your knowledge, I don't agree with what you have said here, one reason being that not everyone who uses this site lives in the US and this may or may not be the case with siskojnash. Looking at both these records it clearly says “strada” which translates to street. I have known the word “strada” since I was “knee high to a grasshopper” and it has always meant “street”.

Siskojnash might be interested to know that it appears that both these streets still exist in Forio, only they go by Via San Giovanni and Via San Francesco. Both “Via” and “Strada” basically mean “street” and they appear in our Italian records, possibly “Via” is used more often.

http://www.tuttocitta.it/mappa/forio/via-san-francesco
http://www.tuttocitta.it/mappa/forio/via-san-giovanni

(What a beautiful little place on a beautiful island!)

Angela :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Angela my use of the word strada is a phrase often used as a "hamlet" or collection of houses "SULLA STRADA or STRADE inferior to frazione . This phrase only recently came across my screen when I came across a "sulle strade" connotation to explain a groups of houses near a Villa/hotel/restaurant that catered to a city dwellers in Tuscany (of course wouldn't you know that my addled mind can't recall the villa nor the city it is near and furthermore not even what I ate for breakfast!!). This can only be resolved by me when I come across the legend and immediately dispatch an e-mail directing you to the site where the words Sulla Strada or Strade shows up. Can I send you a PM when I do come across an example? I always thought that Strada is similar to a VIA APPIA type road or perhaps a large wide MAIN STREET in towns but never as a VIA or street. As for foreigners being fellow members my "doesn't everybody ......" attitude flourishes. I always assumed that genealogists confuse the dead and irritate the living no matter their origin. Peter
~Peter~
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I try to explain from my point of view of Italian mother tongue...as Peter says, nowadays "strada" is usually meant for bigger ways of communications; I'd translate it into "road". But at that time the meaning might have been slightly different. According to Ottorino Pianegiani "Ethimologic Dictionary" (http://www.etimo.it/?term=via) (1907), "strada" was usually meant as wider, paved, and/or maintained at public expense. I also found some occurrences where it was meant in the sense Peter says, as a hamlet, but I don't think this is the case. In my opinion, in this case "strada" is used as opposed to "vicolo" ("alley", if I'm using the right word), so it could be translated as "street". However, just because of nuances of meaning, I usually DON'T translate addresses, but, if needed, try to give an explanation of the context.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pippo to the rescue! Peter
~Peter~
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PeterTimber wrote:Pippo to the rescue! Peter
:)
Lucky you! I stand corrected. I've also learned something new and that is always a plus. Thank you both.

Angela
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Now we can return to confusing the dead and irritating the living which some sage defined as Genealogy! Lots of luck Angela. Peter
~Peter~