bencivenga

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
benci

bencivenga

Post by benci »

I am looking for my Italian ancestors. Philip Bencivenga and Agenia Casella Bencivenga, They left Italy sometime in late 1800's from Naples area and then were in Connecticut then Schnectady NY. Any help would be appreciated.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: bencivenga

Post by mfjp »

Do you happen to have any idea what the birth years are? If you know of any siblings, children or town please mention... any further info you can share would help.

Bencivenga surname is also scattered throughout central Italy...

There is a manifest of a F. Bencivenga who also travels with a G. Bencivenga.. passenger surnames seem to come from the Piano di Caiazzo area.

Name:   F Bencivenga
Arrival Date:   11 Mar 1887
Estimated Birth Year:   1863
Port of Departure:   Naples, Italy
Destination:   United States of America
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   India
Port of Arrival:   New York
Line:   35
Microfilm Roll:   504
List Number:   255

Do you think him and his wife travelled together?

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

benci wrote:I am looking for my Italian ancestors. Philip Bencivenga and Agenia Casella Bencivenga, They left Italy sometime in late 1800's from Naples area and then were in Connecticut then Schnectady NY. Any help would be appreciated.
Philip Bencivenga in 1930 Schnectady' s census are listed of 57 old ; immigration 1889, naturalized, age in marriage 21 old, with Angelina wife 52 old in 1930, age in marriage 18 old, immigration 1896, naturalized; Filomena or Fiorenza daughter 22 old born in New York...
record:
Name: Philip Bencivengan
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Angeline Bencivengan
Race: White
Home in 1930: Schenectady, Schenectady, New York
I think that is is the record of Angelina Casella ( Cassella on ship's manifest) age 20 in 1897(no 1896) port of departure Napoli: http://ellisisland.org/search/viewTextM ... 2898050709

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... splay=true
Hi: I read the ship's manifest, really is your ancestor; Angelina came with an little daughter of 6 months old, called Antonietta Bencivenga; the first final destination was Saudanton or Laudanton or similar spelling....
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
benci

Post by benci »

Yes I am sure the Cassella on the passenger manifest is my ancestor. Thank you.
As to other info. Philip must have come earlier as Angelina and daughter came in March of 1897.
Philip was born around 1873...I think they were from someplace around Caserta.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

benci wrote:Yes I am sure the Cassella on the passenger manifest is my ancestor. Thank you.
As to other info. Philip must have come earlier as Angelina and daughter came in March of 1897.
Philip was born around 1873...I think they were from someplace around Caserta.
Hi: I think that Philip, after first emigration, back again in Italy, why Angelina was pregnant and Antonietta born; well the Angelina travel date in 31 march 1897, Antonietta 6 month old, so born abt 1896 October, is very possible that Philip came again back in Italy in Jan/Feb 1896, was Angelina become pregnant in this date... and most probable also in same month Philip and Angelina married.... well my idea is this; if the data on 1930 census are almost just(! always are some errors...), Philip result emigrated in 1889 and of 16 old;
-but for how I searched no trace of this first travel...(it is necessary for descover birthplace)
-is most probable that Philip came again back in Italy, as already saying, why Angelina pregnant in first months of 1896 year..
-well, if we have good luck we can find it... on ship's manifest of this age, normally not are the birthplace, but in someone yes, so is necessary the good luck... why, otherwise, is hard to descover birthplace, why both surnames are very very diffused in same areas....
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: I found Filippo Bencivenga second travel manifest .. o2 April 1896 Scotia ship, farmer, age 22... but is not listed placebirth http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... splay=true

http://ellisisland.org/search/viewTextM ... 5214090530
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
benci

Post by benci »

Hi. That may be Philip rumor has it hat Angelina was from alvignano and Philip's family was against the marriage. He was from somewhere around Naples and had one brother that we know of...a priest who came to the U.sS. for a little while and then went back to Italy.
Perhaps the Bencivnga's were also from Alvignano...not sure.
Thanks for all your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

benci wrote:Hi. That may be Philip rumor has it hat Angelina was from alvignano and Philip's family was against the marriage. He was from somewhere around Naples and had one brother that we know of...a priest who came to the U.sS. for a little while and then went back to Italy.
Perhaps the Bencivnga's were also from Alvignano...not sure.
Thanks for all your help.
Hi sure was some other Bencivenga from Alvignano that came in USA in same town of your ancestor, http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 5173010054
and http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 1977120331
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
benci

Post by benci »

Hi Never heard of those two names.
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdemarco »

I don't know if you're interested, but it's likely your the Bencivenga priest was Giovanni Bencivenga whom my ancestor, Pasquale DeMarco, brought over from Alvignano. http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resou ... cci/2.html
carola

Post by carola »

Hello: I was happy to have found your posting regarding the Rev. Giovanni Bencivenga who was born
in Alvignano, Italy. I am interested in finding out what church he may have served at in Italy prior
to him coming to Schenectady in 1902 to serve at St. Anthony's Church, and what church he went back
to in Italy when he returned in 1916. Any information as to the Monastery he may have studied at or
any possible photograph during his priesthood. Thanks for your time and consideration.