Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cach

Post by Cach »

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: BRANDA information in 1920-1930 census, marriege, death,

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Cach,

To save some time here is the post that began this topic:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... 48&start=0

YOu have summarized and stated your conclusions well. As I told you before the state of New Jersey does not have vital records available on line. The birth records you need are in the NJ archives where you can search in person. Or you can write to the state and request the certificates.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/vital.shtml

The birth records for the children born in NJ may list the place of birth of the parents. I have found some birth records during this time period with the city in Italy listed in NJ records.

Census records can be found at ancestry.com

Good luck with your research.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Have you looked at the SSDI?

There are 35 Branda with numbers issued in NJ. Some from the Hoboken area.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

With the advanced search option you can search by state numbers issued in.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is the 1920 census:
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6079/1920branda2mq.jpg
Name: Frank Branda
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey

Have you tried to find their naturalization records. Though early and not usually with as much detail as records after 1906, they may contain the city of origin in Italy.

Here is another census from 1920:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6185/1 ... dom4nu.jpg
Dominick Branda
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey
Note the family above Giuseppe BRANDA and wife Rosa. Is this the ancestor you were originally looking for? All the names and dates seem to fit. They are also listed on the 1920 census a few enteries above Frank. The wife is probably Maria Rosa or Rosa Maria. I know you said Giuseppe left the USA and went to South America. ARe you certain he did not return to USA? Please explain why this Giuseppe and Rosa with son Dom is not your ancestor.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

This family started life in the USA in New York. Here are some interesting records from ancestry.com

New York Petitions for Naturalization

Database: New York Petitions for Naturalization

July 9, 2005
8:36 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Naturalization Date Former Nationality Birth Date Court

Domenico Branda 15 Nov 1900 Italian 14 Jul 1878 U S District Court, Brooklyn, NY
Domenico Branda 20 Sep 1906 Italian 18 Jun 1864 U S District Court, Brooklyn, NY
Guiseppe Branda King of Italy County Court, Richmond County, NY
Vincenzo Branda 02 Feb 1900 King of Italy County Court, Kings County, NY

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New York Petitions for Naturalization [database online]. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004. Original data: Data imaged from National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast Region. Soundex Index to Petitions for Naturalization filed in Federal, State, and Local Courts located in New York City, 1792-1906. New York City, New York: National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast Region.

Do any of these look promising?
Cach

Post by Cach »

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Cach:

This is your original post:

I am looking for informtion regarding Guiseppe or Guiseppe first name and Last Name: Brando, arrived in New York from the south of Italy somewhere between 1870 and 1881, I do not know anything else besides that he was born between 1840 and 1864, any info will be more than welcome, thanks.

Perhaps it would help to start at the begining and give us some more information so we can help you find a place to look.

YOur ancestor Giuseppe Brando born 1840-1864 and arrived in the US between 1870 - 1881. Then he went to South America. His wife and child (both born in Italy) returned to Italy.

So what decendant of Giuseppe returned to the USA? YOur here, right? HOw have you done at tracing your lineage backwards? Without violating your privacy, could you share some additional details?

Debbie