landino surname in sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

landino surname in sicily

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

over the years i've found the surname landino,a relatively simple italian surname,misspelled and corrupted in a number of ways,which has made my research very difficult.laudino,landini,laudini,lidino,etc.i believe i've found the passenger record of my paternal grandmothers father,francesco landino.there is a francesco laudino(landino?) immigrating to new york in jan.1889 age 37(my francesco was born in late 1851 and there are no other francesco laudino's/landino's even close in age range to this subject)and listed as a tailor(my ancestor was a cocchiere or driver in sicily but occupations change i guess).later in the same month a francesco lidino dies in new york.age 38(would have been 38 later that year).listed as a bootblack.possibly/hopefully one and the same person.the only drawback is that he's listed as a 16 year resident of new york city-but that would mean he immigrated ca.1872/1873,and theres nothing remotely close for a subject of this name arriving from italy,in any of the east coast ports of arrival in this time period.could be mistaken info.given at the time of death.but no informant is noted on the death record.never found lidino as an italian surname in italy or the usa.and never found a death record for this subject in or near his last place of known residence(barcellona pg messina sicily).his common law wife,maria bonarrigo,died one week after arriving in boston ion 1902 with her daughter,my paternal grandmother.normally it would have been the father/husband to have met the newly arrived wife and child.but if he had deceased in 1889 that would explain this.so much of the information connects that its very tempting to take it as circumstantial.lidino is very close to landino,the first name is exact as is the age(ages were generally a year or two off in records in this time period and even much later).just looking for opinions from those with similiar experiences.thanks