re:birth record in barcellona pg messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re:birth record in barcellona pg messina

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

for many years i've been trying to determine the birth status of my paternal grandmother.she was born maria costante in barcellona pg in 1883 and noted as ignoti genitori.costante was one of many surnames given to children born ignoti genitori or of unknown parents.her wetnurse,maria bonarrigo,applied to the civil registrar for the care and upbringing of my grandmother according to the document,which i have.in effect becoming her virtual mother if not her natural one.maria bonarrigo was the"wife"of francesco landino.this is where the search becomes complicated regarding the actual status of francesco and maria.it appears they never formally married-at least in barcellona pg.francesco was born in palermo and maria in gualtieri sicamino,a comune close to barcellona.but no record of marriage was found in either comune.the first record i have of them as a couple is in 1872 at the birth of son salvatore in barcellona.in this record francesco states the mother as maria bonarrigo his wife.at the next birth i find,in 1877,francesco states the mother of his daughter rosalia and he are"non coniugale"or unmarried.in 1880,at the birth of daughter mattia,another wetnurse presents the child to the civil registrar,declaring the mother as maria bonarrigo and the "wife"of francesco landino,whereabouts unknown.3 births all involving the same parents,but with 3 different sets of circumstances.married in 1872,unmarried in 1877,and questionable in 1880.i found no other births for this couple in barcellona after these,other than the possibility of my grandmother being one of their children in 1883.normally children born to unmarried parents were ignoti genitori.and this may have been the reason for my grandmothers birth status.but if this were the case,and francesco landino and maria bonarrigo never formally married,why didn't the 1872 birth of son salvatore state ignoti,as well as the 1877 birth of daughter rosalia,where it was clearly stated they were unmarried,and the 1880 birth of daughter mattia?why would 3 of their children not also be declared ignoti genitori if the parents were not married,leaving only my grandmother,another possible child of this union,as the only one carrying the ignoti genitori status?makes no sense.i was told that as my grandmother was literally taken in as the birth child of the wetnurse,that in all probability she was the birth mother as it would be unusual for a non birth mother to become so intimately involved in the care and upbringing of a child otherwise.i also checked the marriage registers in barcellona right up until 1902,when my grandmother and her wetnurse/mother left barcellona pg for boston.no marriage was found. any input into this would be most appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: re:birth record in barcellona pg messina

Post by adelfio »

Since Salvatore Landino birth act shows married and born in Barcellona on San Giovanni maybe find the closest church which looks like San Giovanni Battista and try for the marriage there for Francesco was only 20 years old at the time of Salvatore's birth
PARROCCHIA S. GIOVANNI BATTISTA
Via San Giovanni
98051 Barcellona Pozzo Di Gotto (ME)
Italy

Pg link for reference Salvatore Landino birth act
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179355901

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks marty.i just went to the website for the diocese of messina.the information i found for the parish of san giovanni in barcellona gives addresses of piazza marconi 41 and via duca aosta 31 only.nothing for an address on via san giovanni.is this one and the same as i find no other san giovanni parish in barcellona? have the birth records for salvatore in 1872,rosalia in 1877,and mattia in 1880,as well as my grandmother in 1883.i wrote to s.sebastiano chiesa madre in barcellona where my grandmother was baptized and i'm waiting for a response.as i mentioned,non coniugale or unmarried was noted in the 1877 birth of second child rosalia.its clear that most likely there was no civil marriage-but possibly a parish one.this could account for the uncertain marital status of francesco landino and maria bonarrigo-and the ignoti genitori status of their possible natural daughter,my paternal grandmother maria"costante".i'll try the parish of san giovanni battista.maybe they'll have further information.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

according to the parish website for san giovanni battista in barcellona pg its via duca d'aosta 31.