Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Palermo

Post by ray1955 »

Most of my research has been in Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1939

However I want to look up someone in Palermo so what would I look that up under?

Thanks,

Ray
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Palermo

Post by adelfio »

What name and year Ray

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The city of Palermo or the province? Are you using the records on familysearch?
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

I am using Ancestry to research.

Marty if you look at the book on page 570, there were two brothers that lived together they left Vallelunga from what I have been able to read, left to go to Palermo 1952.
I was wondering how I would look at records in Palermo.

I want to learn how to move around from the different cities vs staying in Vallelunga.

I would love to get the 1/2 of page 570 interpreted completely. Appears
Allesandro and Luciano were Professors in Palermo and lived together.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Page 570 of what?
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

Carubia, it is a book that was written in Vallelunga of the town.

The page I mentioned is the pages I need translated which is the end of my family's history.

I can't upload the page I have told management here about not being able to upload but nothing has happened to fix it. Leaves me at a disadvantage.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

If you have an image of the page, say a pdf or jpg, you can use another website that allows you to upload and store images (for free) and then link to it. A few different ones have used by the members here. I use this one: http://postimage.org/

Have you ever looked at the files available on familysearch? They're generally more extensive, for this particular kind of search, than those on Ancestry (which were taken from familysearch). Hugh Tornebene also has a website where he has indexed numerous Palermo civil records.

What years are you searching? If you're looking for civil records from 1952, I think you'll have a hard time finding them online.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Yes, exactly. You have 9 images. Which one is page 570?
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

The last one, upper half. Page 570
Starts with Giuseppa and ends with I believe a town called Villalba
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I see it. It's the penultimate file, from the top:

"Giuseppa, maestra elementare, nacque il 5.10.1894. Il 1.7.1923 sposo in Palermo con Maggiore; Cristina, farmaeista - nata il 11.12.1897. Il 23.7.1929 sposo in Palermo con Filippo Gianferrara; Giovanni, ingenguiere - nacque il 24.3.1900. Nel 1929 emigro a Palermo e ivi, il 7.9.1939 contrasse matrimonio con Angela Maggiore...."

Giuseppa, elementary school teacher, born 5 Oct 1894. On 1 Jul 1923 married in Palermo to Maggiore [first name not given]; Cristina, pharmacist, born 11 Dec 1897. On 23 Jul 1929 married in Palermo with Filippo Gianferrara; Giovanni, engineer - born 24 Mar 1900. In 1929 moved to Palermo and there on 7 Sep 1939 contracted marriage with Angela Maggiore.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

It continues:

"Children of Melchiorre Giovanni and Vioncenza La Duca

Alessandro Luciano - born 16 Feb 1931. Moved to Palermo with his parents in 1952, where at that [Palermo] university he received a degree in law; lived with his brother Prof. Luciano;
Luciano - born 7 Oct 1934. In 1952 moved to Palermo with his parents and at that university graduated in law. Professor of history of economics.

These 2 brothers, both unmarried, often traveled to Vallelunga to attend to their interests, being owners of a respectable plot of land in San Giovanni district, which lent itself excellently to development [lit. building expansion], both for the arrangement ... slope and for the heathiness of the air, and of a fertile vineyard in Vicaretto district, located a little beyond the railroad station of Villalba."

I haven't quite figured out what it says between giacitura and declirio yet. I'll look at it again later.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

What records do you hope to find from Palermo? These people were not born in Palermo, the 2 brothers never married, and they probably died too recently for their death certs to be public records. You might be able to find the marriages of Giuseppa and Cristina, but Giovanni's is unlikely.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I just checked FamilySearch and Hugh Tornabene's site, but I can't find any marriage records in Palermo from after 1921.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

I was wondering Caruba if I could find any records regarding their parents.
if you look at the book from Vallelunga of the Spotos, toward the end you will see the parents of these two when it is first mentioned moving in 1952 to Palermo.

Most of the family started in Mussomeli and migrated 4.5 miles to Vallelunga where they stayed. Except for Silvestre, he went to military and ended up in Rome with his wife
Aspasia.

I have all of this data entered into ancestry and pulled all the death and birth records etc…..I can find. I have quite a bit. I can't believe how you can translate all the information but tell me the part where you say there is no first name given and it goes on in the para doesn't it finally give the name?