Info On Battaglia or Cancilla From Trabia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Info On Battaglia or Cancilla From Trabia

Post by Belsitoj »

I am looking for information on my great grandparents from Trabia. I am considering going to Trabia for a vacation in a few years and would love to get more history. I am hoping that I have living relatives there and can visit (hopefully they know English because I do not know Italian). I am new at Genealogy research and not sure what the best way of researching this would be but any feedback on research or links to family is appreciated. Here is the information that I do have. As far as I know they were born in Trabia but that is unconfirmed at this point:

Great Grandfather: Santo Battaglia; born 1927(Unconfirmed)
Married to:?
His Son(My Grandfather): Ignazio (Charles) Battaglia; born May 16, 1891
Married: Marianna Cancilla(My Grandmother); born 12/20/1894

Thanks
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Info On Battaglia or Cancilla From Trabia

Post by erudita74 »

Here's your grandmother's birth record
Erudita

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

Record # 241 dated Dec 26, 1894 at 11:05 a.m. in Trabia. Appearing was Pasquale Cancilla, age 30, a peasant in the town who reported that on the 24th, in the house on via Danigarci (without a number) his wife, Caterina Campagna, who was living with him but had no occupation, gave birth to their daughter Maria Anna Cancilla. Witnesses to the declaration of the birth and presentation of the infant were Cosimo Messina, age 21, and usher/doorkeeper, and Giuseppe La Rosa, age 53, a servant. The witness La Rosa, and the declarant Pasquale Cancilla, were illiterate and did not sign.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The Ignazio I found was born on May 23rd and not on May 16th, but his father was a Santo. I can't be certain he is yours.
Erudita

Dated May 24, 1891 at 11:10 a.m. in Trabia. Appearing was Santo Battaglia, age 44, a peasant who declared that at 6 a.m in the house on via dell’oro, on the 23rd, his wife Ignazia Campagna, who was living with him but had no occupation, gave birth to their son, Ignazio. Witnesses to the declaration of the birth, and presentation of the infant were Pietro Selvaggio, age 63, an usher, and Giuseppe LaRosa, age 53, a servant. La Rosa and Battaglia did not sign the document, as they were illiterate.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Family tree on ancestry.com Erudita pretty sure you have the right Ignazio Battaglia
PG LINK TO TREE
http://person.ancestry.com/tree/2188897 ... 3929/facts

Marriage of Santo Battaglia and Ignazia Campagna
INDEX#31
1874 Nov 23rd in the town of Trabia appeared Santo Battaglia age 29 farmer born and resides in Trabia son of deceased Giuseppe Battaglia and Marianna Cancilla married Ignazia Campagna age 27 farmer born and resides in Trabia daughter of Antonio Campagna and Marianna Spitaleri

PG LINK TO RECORD
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Marty
I can't access the tree on ancestry.com without a subscription.
Erudita
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thank you so much for the information, I appreciate it. I was always told that my grandmother was born on 12/20/1894. I suppose it possible that I was misinformed or they logged the wrong date on the birth certificate. I also never seen her name spelled that way but once again, very possible that that was the way her birth name was spelled. She also had a sister named Maria Cancilla but her birth date was a different year.

Thanks again. Joe