Urso, Faronda from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeeUrso

Re: Urso, Faronda from Sicily

Post by DeeUrso »

Sorry, didn't know that you wanted all details. I'm new to this forum.
The info I have is:
Salvatore "Sam" Urso was born between 1879-1873 somewhere in Sicily. His father was Nicolai Urso, info unknown, and his mother was Laporta, info unknown. Sam married Francesca Faronda, born 1875 somewhere in Sicily. Her father was Philip Faronda and mother was Mary ??. They had 8 children:
Laporta "Lillie" Urso born in 1896
Nick Urso born in 1900
Mary Urso born 8-31-1901 in Louisanna, died 10-20-1969 in Harris County, TX and married Vincenzo "Charlie" Campise on 5-31-1919 in Brazos Co.
Guiseppina "Josephina" Urso was born 3-10-1903 in LA and died 3-6-2001 in Cleveland, TX.
Felice Urso born between 1903 and 1907 not sure when or where.
Philip was born in Dec. 7, 1907 and died Dec 1981. Married Rosa Lee Fazzino in Nov. 1935. This was my husbands grandfather. I have info on him and have info going back to the early 1700's for Rosa Lee Fazzino.
Anthony Urso was born 9-15-1910 and died 12-18-2000 in Bryan, TX
Sarah was born in 1916. She married a DeGeorge and has two children.

The things that bother me the most are that my father in law doesn't know of Mary Urso, Felice Urso, Lillie and Nick. Info is limited about Josephina. I found out that she married Joe Maglitto, then when he died she married his brother Sam Maglitto, who had been married twice before her. My problem is that when "Aunt Phena" died, she was married to a Palermo and don't know anything else about her.

Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the Francesca surname is FarAnda exact spelling... Nicolai is no an italian first name so the exact spelling sure is Nicola or Nicolò... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Something isn't adding up...

This forums best researchers have replied to your post and we have yet to find any solid concrete information.

I did a census search... using FIRST name only on Ancestry.com... (getting all kinds of results) of say... Sam + Francie, Salvatore + Francesca, Sam + Francese, Sal + Francesca... you name it... and I don't give up easily either... there are other variations come to think of it, that I should also check out...

Even the name Laporta... is that a given name? According to your info, it is. I found more Laporta surnames than as a given name Laporta... sorry, just not familiar with this name. Plus, the 2 possible towns you mentioned earlier on... just didn't have enough of those surnames to make me think they even came from there. I could be wrong.. but this is what I am finding out...

Thanks for posting the other recent info... I haven't check out any of those names as of yet... but hopefully it will lead us somewhere...

mfjp :P
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Dee,

I am also having trouble with your post. As Suanj pointed out the surname Faronda is mis-spelled along with some other names. I only found a few Faronda's listed in Ellis Island ( I think it was 3). So, Suanj gave us the correct spelling as Faranda.

I suggest you need to reconsider your sources of information.

You say "The things that bother me the most are that my father in law doesn't know of Mary Urso, Felice Urso, Lillie and Nick. Info is limited about Josephina. I found out that she married Joe Maglitto, then when he died she married his brother Sam Maglitto, who had been married twice before her. My problem is that when "Aunt Phena" died, she was married to a Palermo and don't know anything else about her."

What is the source you are using to list the names and birthdate of the children from this family? Is it a census? A family bible? Did you find an on-line tree? Please tell us what your source is.

Things aren't quite adding up. YOu might find it beneficial to find the death certificate for Sam, or Salvatore and start from there.

The surname Urso can be challenging to find in indexes. You have to watch for D'Urso along with other possible variations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Just an little bit:
Salvatore and Francesca married around 1894/5 because the first child born in 1896 if your infos are exact... no birthplace of first 2 children.. the 3° listed in louisiana... and the main emigration of west Sicily was in Louisiana... you say Poggioreale and Lentini as probable birthplace.. but this 3 surnames mentioned are most diffused also in Agrigento (ex Girgenti many time listed on ellis island website) area...
you say:
-Laporta "Lillie" Urso born in 1896- why Laporta and no Urso as surname? it is correct this info?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DeeUrso

Post by DeeUrso »

Some of my information came from a man in Houston whose great-grandmother was a Campisi and married an Urso. That was Josephina. Her sister was Mary, who was his great-great aunt. He inculded a copy of an article from a newspaper of when Sam Maglitto died. Never mentions who his wife is but names all the children. Of course, he was married before Josephina to another woman and had several children. Like I said before, I'm not sure except about one of the children Philip Urso married Rosalee Fazzino and a relative went over to Italy and researched this branch and has traced her side of the family (my father-in-law's mother) all the way back to the 1770's. Rosa Lee Fazzino's father AND mother along with their fathers and mothers were born in Poggioreale, Sicily. They've wrote that Poggioreale, Sicily is in the western part of the island of Sicily. They traveled through the port of Palermo, Sicily and arrived in New York, then took another boat from New York to Galveston and traveledover land to Bryan, Texas.
DeeUrso

Post by DeeUrso »

Just visited a site: Maporama.com On it you can find a map of Poggioreale, Sicily, Italy.
DEBI1172

Post by DEBI1172 »

my gg father was sam maglitto, he married josie I am looking for info also....my great aunt was Bessie she married a campise..I believe we are connected in many ways... long lost cousins...
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I just found out that Salvatore "Sam" Urso from Sicily that moved to Bryan was married to Francesca "Frances" Affronto from Sicily. Not sure where but could be Trapini or Poggioreale. Still looking when I get the chances (few and far between). Thanks for all your help. I do know that they came to the US, I don't know if they stopped in NY but they did come into New Orleans.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

My latest info is as follows:
Salvatore Urso, born 8-16-1870 in Sicily. Married
Francesca Affronto (later to be changed to Affronti) . Sam died 12-28-1949. Frances was born 8-5-1875 and died 12-10-1961. They had eight children.
1. Laprotra (Lillie) born 2-2-1897 in ?, but died 12-5-1919 and is buried at Mount Calvary Cem. in Bryan, TX.
2. Nicholai (Nick) born 3-19-1900 in ?, but died 9-6-1929 and is also buried at Mt. Calv. in Bryan, TX
3. Mary Urso, born 8-31-1901 in Charenton, St. Mary's Parish, LA, married Vincenzo (Charlie Campise) and died 10-20-1969.
4. Giuseppina (Josie) Urso, born 3-10-1903 in Charenton, St. Mary's Parish, LA married Sam Maglitto and then later married his brother Joe Maglitto. Died 3-6-2001. I believe she lived in Houston.
5. Felice (Fina) Urso, born 4-10-1906 in ? married Luke Palermo and lived in Bryan, TX. She died 10-18-2000.
6. Philip Urso born 12-23-1907 in Caldwell (near Bryan) married Rosalie Fazzino in Nov. 1935. Died 12-8-1981
7. Anthony (Tony) Urso, born 9-15-1910 in Burleson co., married Mary Campise. He died 12-12-2002
8. Sara Urso, born in 1916, married Sam DeGeorge in 1938 and died 6-13-1996.

Those are the revelant facts I have for Sam and Frances Urso, basically. I have plenty of information on their children, except Nick and Lillie. I have no information about Sam and Frances, which is what I'm looking for. Brothers, sisters, parents? Anything would be grateful. Thanks.