Seeing Double

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Seeing Double

Post by sacesta »

Today, among many other things I found this record of marriage for my 2nd great grandparents, Rocco Aceste and Antonina Cusenza. I thought I already had their marriage record, and I still think that. Apparently, the event was recorded twice. Date of marriage, dates of banns, names of wedded couple, parents, witnesses all match, but these are clearly two different records. Has anyone seen this occur before?
Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Seeing Double

Post by Italysearcher »

Did you find them in different places? One appears to be a straight copy of the other. It may have been created for some other purposes. Some Diocesi require copies to be sent to them.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Ann,

No. I found both of these in the church records of the Chiesa Cattolica San Silvestri Papa in Calatafimi, Trapani. I don't recall exactly where in the register the second record shown was found. I lost the page number to it and found the record some time ago. But since these records are registered chronologically they must appear near one another in the register. I'm going to go back and take another look.

Am I correct in thinking that the wedding date was the 25th of November, 1861? Or was it the 10th?

Steve
Steve Acesta

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Marriage took place Nov 25 1861.
I believe they kept two copies of the register, as it still happens for civil records.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thanks Livio.

I'm still trying to get a handle on how the records on microfilm are organized. It seems that there are Item numbers that each contain a number of Volumes. Sometimes there are gaps in the range of dates between volumes. Maybe some records were missing or destroyed? Sometimes there are indices for the records, sometimes not. Sometimes those indices appear before the records, sometimes after.

I'm getting better at locating records as I become familiar with how they are organized on the films.
Steve Acesta

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Parish Records are organized how the priest wanted them. Since priests changed, the origanization changed. Gaps could be the result of earthquakes, war, fires or the records are simply out of order. The LDS microfilmed them in the order they found them. Indexes can vary, by first name, surname, by family of not at all.
Welcome to our world.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

All good reasons for why the state of the records is what it is. Thanks!
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Italysearcher wrote:Did you find them in different places? One appears to be a straight copy of the other. It may have been created for some other purposes. Some Diocesi require copies to be sent to them.
I went back today to the microfilm to see where the two above records were indexed. As it turns out, each record appears in the same index. This isn't a case of a duplicate being recorded somewhere else. Probably just an oversight. The second record may have been recorded later because the priest had not realized it was recorded before.

I'm glad I went back too, because I found Rocco's sister, Antonina on the same page (# 235).

Steve

Steve Acesta