PA birth certificate error

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GrowlyGirl

PA birth certificate error

Post by GrowlyGirl »

Hello,

I was just printing out several of my document finds when I noticed a major error on my great aunt's birth certificate. I searched for hers because it is available in the state archives. She was born in 1907, but her sister, my grandmother, was born in 1899. I was unable to locate her in the index. Birth certificates before 1906 are not available. I wanted to see how the parent's names were listed, so I figured my great aunt's certificate would do nicely. However, after printing it out, I noticed a glaring error: the sex of the child is listed as 'male!' Whoops. When locating the record, they really messed up her first name too. I guess they could not read the euro handwriting of my great grandfather. Instead of Giuseppina, they listed her as Ziuzeppina. LOL! Luckily, I knew her birth date.

This is just a comment, but if there is anything I should be mindful of, let me know.

Nancy
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: PA birth certificate error

Post by VotM »

This is just a comment, but if there is anything I should be mindful of, let me know.
Only that this may not be the first error you encounter. :-)

Seriously, I've found entries in the birth index for my city where the mother's father's first name was written down instead of the mother's husband's first name as the father of the child. I've also found a death certificate for a relative in another city where a son-in-law seems to have given his own mother's name instead of the deceased's mother's name.

On the other hand, sometimes "errors" are actually obscure bits of family history. I had a great grandfather who passed away a little more than a year after my great grandmother. But where I'd expected to find "widowed" on his death certificate, his marital status appeared as "married" with an unfamiliar spouse's name. After checking with various relatives, one older cousin recalled that our GGF had remarried "like days or weeks" after his first wife passed, and that the marriage came as a shock to the family at the time.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
GrowlyGirl

Re: PA birth certificate error

Post by GrowlyGirl »

Yes, I see. I have found issues with two more family members since I posted this. Hopefully, I will get it all sorted out in time.

N.