re: new york city resident directory

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re: new york city resident directory

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

in order to determine if my ancestor is the correct one,i need to determine who he resided with at the time he died.my ancestor,francesco landino,if my guess is correct,arrived in new york in january 1889 and died less than 2 weeks later. in the passenger arrivals i found a francesco landino,age 37,who arrived on jan.16th. i found a death for a francesco lidino,age 38,who died on jan.29th. i'm guessing they may be one and the same,as the age and name spelling variations are very close,allowing for common errors. at the time of death he resided at 78 mulberry st. the only relative he had in new york then was a sister,agostina landino,wife of antonino caldara.they arrived in 1874 and are in the 1880 census,but not then living at 78 mulberry st. the next census,only partial,wasn't until 1890,by which time francesco landino had died.i need a residence for agostina landino in 1888 or 1889.agostina landino died in 1893.just wondering if there were yearly resident listings in new york city,as if agostina landino,francesco's sister,was living at 78 mulberry st. at that time,it would verify my guesswork. any help would be most appreciated.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: re: new york city resident directory

Post by VotM »

If your local library has online access to HeritageQuest, you can use your library card & pin to log in. Once there, you can look at the city directories for various U.S. cities.

I browsed the 1888, 1889 and 1891 directories for anyone with the last name of Caldara in New York, New York (1890 was missing for that city). No matches. Also checked for any Landino's and Lidino's for those same years, but did not find a match on Agostina, Francesco, or any close equivalents.

Note that the city directories of that time were advertising directories of a sort. Not everyone chose to be listed.

Also note that for New York, there are separate directories for various area;s if 78 Mulberry St. falls under Manhattan, then the directories on HeritageQuest only go back to 1931 for that area. Older directories for Manhattan might exist on Ancestry or Fold3.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks.my library has world ancestry which has many city directories. unfortunately none for new york city/manhattan in those years. i checked both caldara and landino as well as alternate spellings. nothing. if the 1890 census had been complete the information might have showed them. 1900 was too late.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

There was an Antonio Caldara at 131 Mulberry Street in 1903. Even though it's not precisely the year you're interested in, it may be a bit much to ask of coincidence that the name you are looking for is that of a person located on the same street at a nearby address. (One of my sets of grandparents and two sets of great-grandparents moved around several times on the same street in the late 1890s and early 1900s.)
https://archive.org/stream/trowsgeneral ... 9/mode/2up

Regrettably, archive.org only seems to go back to 1903 with its city directories for Manhattan.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

could be the antonino caldara who was married to agostina landino,the sister of francesco landino/lidino whom i'm interested in. agostina died in 1893 and antonino remarried a few years later. 131 mulberry isn't far from 78 mulberry,where francesco died in 1889. but many italians lived on mulberry street back then. what i was hoping was that agostina landino,sister of francesco,was living at 78 mulberry st. in 1889. this would confirm my guesswork about this francesco lidino being the francesco landino thats my ancestor. but no way to confirm that unless i could find a residence list for 78 mulberry st. in 1889.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Did Agostina Caldara have any children in 1888 or 1889?
Perhaps a look at the birth record would give her address at the time of birth?

Just thinking out loud! 8)

EDIT TO ADD:

It appears that Augusta/Agostina Caldara died in Jamaica in 1893 according to NYC Death Index
Caldara Augusta 39y 1893 May 8 #2806 Town of Jamaica Manhattan

Here is the link to the 1892 NYS Census for Agostina and Antonio and family in Jamaica...
There is a child "Wilhelm" born about 1889...
http://interactive.ancestry.com/3212/41 ... PUBJs=true

T.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks.yes thats the correct person. i know she died in 1893. what i'm trying to determine is where she resided in 1889. if it were 78 mulberry street that would confirm the identity of the francesco lidino who died there in 1889 as the francesco landino i'm trying to identify-the brother of agostina.i'll check the link but 1892 is 3 years later,and she may have moved in that 3 year time period. just checked the link you sent,but i don't have an ancestry subscription. but i did find the 1892 new york census at lds. they lived in newtown queens,not mulberry st. in manhattan. i contacted the nypl (new york public library) millstein division to see if they have a city directory for manhattan in 1888/1889.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

What I was suggesting was a look at the birth act in 1889 for her son "Wilhelm?"
Birth act will give the parents' address.

T.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats fine,but how can i view that record without ordering it from the new york archives on the off chance they might have resided at 78 mulberry street? i'f ancestry had it available to view online where i could view it at my library,which has world ancestry, that would work. but i doubt it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mezzogiorno62 wrote:thats fine,but how can i view that record as i wouldn't order it from the new york archives on the off chance they might have resided at 78 mulberry street? i'f ancestry had it available to view online where i could view it at my library,which has world ancestry, that would work. but io doubt it.
Correct... you would need to order it.

T.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

doesn't work for me. guess i'm out of options. maybe the millstein department at the nypl will have something.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

If the NYPL comes up empty with a print copy of the 1888/1889 city directory, you may want to weigh the value of the time spent looking for a copy of that city directory for those years vs. the cost of requesting a three year span search (1888-1890) on Wilhelm (William per 1910 census) Caldara's birth record.

It's not exactly a shot in the dark. You have an Antonino Caldara from the same part of Manhattan located on the same street of interest in 1903, at a time when there is only one Caldara in the Manhattan directory; you also have no Lidino's and only one Landino (Mary, widow of Salvatore) in that area in 1903. And if "Wilhelm" is actually William Vincent Caldara, you can narrow the date down more precisely.

Alternately, the Family History Library does have the Manhattan birth certificates on film...
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Eventually they may release the digitized versions of these films. Unfortunately, you'd probably have to skim them manually; while they've been indexed for searching, the person who indexed the records apparently did not type anything of the form W* Cald* into the database.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

just requesting a 3 year record check of births,1888-1890, would cost about $30. not cost effective considering the odds of finding anything. the clincher here would have been finding the sister and brother in law of francesco,antonino caldara and agostina landino, living at 78 mulberry street. a resident city directory for manhattan in 1888-1890 might have done that. but the circumstantial evidence that francesco lidino is actually francesco landino is compelling. i checked surname databases in sicily. lidino is non existent and most likely a corruption of landino or something close. its simply not an italian/sicilian surname. the odds of the name francesco, matched with a very close surname spelling of landino,along with the virtually exact age of 38, is astronomical. i don't think it will get any closer with the evidence available.