Sinisgalli from Montemurro or Pisticci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Fowlerz

Sinisgalli from Montemurro or Pisticci

Post by Fowlerz »

I am trying to find more information on the Sinisgalli family originally from Montemurro. I have information that at least one of them, Giacinto (possibly Hyacinthus), relocated to Pisticci after the 1857 earthquake that destroyed most of Montemurro. I'd like to find out if other family members survived the earthquake and any other information anyone can give me on the Sinisgalli family from that area. Thank you so much for any help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Sinisgalli from Montemurro or Pisticci

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are two deaths - parents of both are Giacinto Sinisgalli and Isabella Falotico
These deaths were in latter part of 1858... in Montemurro.

Pietro Sinisgalli, death on 27 October 1858 (#32)
Son of Giacinto [Sinisgalli] a baker, and Isabella Falotico
Pietro was age 20, a baker, and single.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Anna Sinisgalli, death on 11 November 1858 (#36)
Daughter of Giacino Sinisgalli, baker, and Isabella Falotico
Anna was age 22, wife of Giovanni Santomartino

I know you are looking for survivors, but here are some of the Sinisgalli deaths just prior to 1857... in Montemurro The surviving relatives in these records may be names to look for in Pisticci?
I located these in the 1855 deaths. I did not find any Sinisgalli deaths in 1856 and 1857.

Don Giuseppe Sinisgalli, died 5 January 1855 (Record #6)
Son of Sig. Andrea [Sinisgalli], landowner; and deceased Signora Maria Teresa Robillotto; Husband of Donna Teresina di Filippi (2nd wife)
He was age 48, and a lawyer, residing in Montemurro.

Margherita Sinisgalli, death on 20 October 1855 (#125)
Daughter of deceased Michele [Sinisgalli] and deceased Antonia Di Dio
She was age 1.

Porsia Sinisgalli, death on 11 December 1855 (#139)
Daughter of deceased Pietrantonio [Sinisgalli] and deceased Rosa Murano.
Widow of Antonio Santomartino
She was age 50, a farmer

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Checked the 10-year death index for Pisticci (only 1866-1876 and 1896-1906 were available online)

Here are the listings for Sinisgalli:
Giacinto - 1870 - #36
Giovanni - 1872 - #23
Lauretta - 1866 - #9

These index listings identified the father of each... :D
Camilla - 1901 #232 (father: Giovannantonio)
Giacinto - 1901 #108 (father: deceased Domenico)
Pasquale - 1899 #141 (father: Michele Angelo)

T.
jeanne55
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeanne55 »

I am a direct descendent of Giacinto Sinisgalli. Here is the info given to me, many years ago: Giancinto (Hyacinthus) Sinisgalli was born in Montemurro, Province of Potenza, Italy, on July 25, 1837. He was the son of Dominco Sinisgalli and Laura Falotico.
In 1857, there was a terrible earthquake in Montemurro that destroyed most of the city.
He was nearly buried alive under the debris, which resulted in him becoming lame in his left leg. He left the city, wandering from town to town, as a peddler. Finally, he settled in Pisticci, where he opened a haberdashery shop (defined as men's ware or a sewing notions shop). On July 20, 1865, He married Filomena Panetta. They had 4 sons and 2 daughters. Giacinto died on May 21, 1901.
Their fourth child was Antonio Sinisgalli, born on June 17, 1875. In February 1898,
Antonio married Antonia Maria Lopatriello (born August 10, 1876, in Pisticci). They lived on a farm in Pisticci, but Antonio would travel back and forth to America. They had four sons and three daughters, with the first three children born in Pisticci, including their oldest child, MY GRANDMOTHER, Philomena (b. February 4, 1898). The other children were: Guiseppe, Connie, Eduardo, Giovanni, Maria, and Antonio. In 1910, the family settled in Johnetta, Pennsylvania, USA. He died in Johnetta in early 1918, of the Spanish Flu. Antonia was pregnant with my Great Uncle Antonio (Tony), who was born October 10, 1918. The family changed their name to "Sinegal", due to severe prejudice against Italians, at that time. There is a lot more detail to this family history that I have researched. Let me know if you want it!
Jeanne
Fowlerz

Post by Fowlerz »

Jeanne,

We are definitely related! My mother was Beverly Sinegal Scott, daughter of Edward, granddaughter of Antonio and Antonia. I have searched for years for more information on the family so I really appreciate all of your facts, dates, etc. I have some of this information already, so it’s great to have it validated. I would love to get any more information you may have to share!

Maureen
jeanne55
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeanne55 »

Hi cousin, Maureen! I am so sorry that I didn't get back to you since Nov 2018. I lost my passcode and couldn't reset them on the website, despite repeated attempts. Do you remember my parents, Lou and Jean? Your family stayed at our house when you and I were little kids, while awaiting for your Dad's transfer to another base (?) This is all such a coincidence, since I just got into contact with our mutual cousin, Joe Troise, Jr., after all these years. This has prompted me to start on making a "book" out of the information I have on the Sinisgalli family. Hope that we can coordinate information. Best wishes, your cousin Jeanne