Question about citizenship related to genealogy records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mstark3223

Question about citizenship related to genealogy records

Post by mstark3223 »

On various websites to test whether a case for citizenship will stand, lineage options include father - grandmother - great grandfather however the option for 'great grandmother' is not included. My great grandmother is listed as an widowed, 'alien' on US census records in 1920. Why is she not an option!?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Question about citizenship related to genealogy records

Post by Tessa78 »

From this link at Bleeding Espresso (a blog by Michele Fabio)
"Claiming Italian Citizenship Jure Sanguinis: How I became Legal in Italy"
http://bleedingespresso.com/2007/12/cla ... italy.html
One of the rules you need to watch out for in determining eligibility is the fact that women couldn’t pass on Italian citizenship until January 1, 1948, which means that I couldn’t go through my great-grandmother, who was born in 1898 in the next town over from where I now live. Oh no. Instead I had to go through her husband, my great-grandfather, who came from a small village in Campania, several hours north of here.
AND at this site regarding Eligibility...
http://diyitaliancitizenship.com/jure-s ... igibility/
The Exceptions
1. Women could not pass on citizenship until 1948. Prior to 1948, all Italian citizenship was passed on via paternal bloodlines. This is because Italian women did not have the right to transmit citizenship to their children until 1948. Therefore, if there is a woman in your ancestry whom you are using to claim jure sanguinis, her children must be born after 1948 for Italian citizenship to have been transmitted to her children. This is why applying through maternal lines can be tricky.
T.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

I have found this tool very helpful. Does it look okay to you, Tessa?

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/?co ... ation.html

My maternal grandfather Marcello Lovisone was born in Castell'Alfero, Asti, Italy, in 1885. He immigrated to the US, where he met and in 1909 married my maternal grandmother Clara Cantino, who was born in Frinco, Asti, Italy, in 1879. From that union, my mother Rose was born in the US in 1919. In 1935, my grandfather became a naturalized US citizen. My grandmother never became a US citizen. I was born in September 1948. I was told by a counselor that I am eligible for Italian jure sanguinis. This tool confirms it.

Hope this helps.

Claire
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
gstorto

Post by gstorto »

Tessa78 is very clear, that is the rule for administrative procedures. The thing nobody mentioned is that the concept the mother does not pass on the citizenship before 1948 has been successfully challenged legally.
I know several people that have obtained their citizenship by challenging this rule judicially, making use of an Italian lawyer.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

gstorto wrote:Tessa78 is very clear, that is the rule for administrative procedures. The thing nobody mentioned is that the concept the mother does not pass on the citizenship before 1948 has been successfully challenged legally.
I know several people that have obtained their citizenship by challenging this rule judicially, making use of an Italian lawyer.
This is very true! :-)

T.